Escaping Side Control

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Escaping Side Control
Salty
8/8/07 12:42:57PM
So I've been at this for little over a month and a half now, and one of my main problems is if im taken down and the other guy has side control, I can never seem to escape or get him back into my guard.
SSfighter51
8/8/07 12:55:47PM
I would start by working on your takedown defense. My philosphy for having trouble in bad positions is....dont let yourself get into a bad position! But the most important thing is creating space between you and your opponent. post your inside arm off his knee closest to your knee and shrimp away. from there its just a dog fight to regain guard/half guard.

If some one knows what there doing, and has a good side control. your going to have trouble getting away. I roll with real good purples and browns....so there half guard is beast, and your pretty ****** once your there, or it turns into a stale mate. like i said before..the philosophy for not getting in bad positions.

i try and bait people into a mount or knee on belly if the side control turns into a stalemate. then catch the re-guard. on there way to mount.

thats my style folks
Salty
8/8/07 1:09:43PM
my main problem is when im being taken down, i fight like hell to stay up and when they finally take me down i either have half guard or no guard, my half is good but basically ends up in a stalemate with me trying to escape and them trying to escape for the rest of the round.
fedorwins1
8/8/07 1:13:36PM
Say they're on your left side, push their head away with your right forearm and use your left arm to push their hips away then shrimp up and get a knee in.
DMcCabe11
8/8/07 2:01:11PM
i the man is smaller than u i get my hand underneath his hips and bump im up and use my arm to slide unde him .....i hes bigger i wait until i get some room then i put my knee in always stay on ur hip DO NOT BE STrAIGHT ON YOU BACK
gspgnp
8/8/07 2:58:14PM

Posted by Salty

my main problem is when im being taken down, i fight like hell to stay up and when they finally take me down i either have half guard or no guard, my half is good but basically ends up in a stalemate with me trying to escape and them trying to escape for the rest of the round.

You have to have more self awareness of what you are capable of. If your takedown defense is shaky, then stop fighting for so long to stay up when you know someone will take you down. The moment you feel that there is no way to stop the takedown, try to ensure that you are not been put in sidecontrol right away. Your main focus on the way down should be to ensure you pull guard or half guard at the least. If you make your move quick enough you may even be able to try and pull guard and set yourself up on the way down for a guillotine, armbar or sweep.
Svartorm
8/9/07 12:00:31AM
Not sure if this applies Salty, but if striking is allowed, dropping elbows to the top of the thigh, especially if they kneel when they do side mount, is extremely painful. Also this tends to get people to start swinging back, which opens up some avenues to escape as well.

Overall, sidemount is a bitch to get out of if the person on top knows what they're doing, but generally if you can control their hips and are good at shrimping, you shouldn't take too much damage establishing guard or half guard.