equipment help...???

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » equipment help...???
JayDeethebear
5/25/09 10:10:35PM
okay so I have always been a big fan of MMA and wanted to learn,but figured a guy my size would have a problem.well,i am going to a local gym tomorrow that trains mma,bjj,boxing,and others to sign up.I also went out and got a heavy bag for my garage to work out at home too.

I guess my first question is do i need different gloves for working out on the bag then i do for grappling or actual fights?i have seen so many various types of gloves...or can I just get away wih using competition gloves for everything?

also,i had a non equipment related question....are there any really big guys in the sport?i mean i am 6'3" which isnt that big but I weigh 335lbs...working on losing it but until then..am i going to have a hard time finding fight opponents or sparing partners due to my size?

well,thanks in advance to any help...

-JayDee
Jackelope
5/25/09 10:26:13PM
Most gyms want guys to have a full equipment set up. That includes- 16 oz boxing gloves, 4 oz mma gloves, shin pads, wrestling shoes, knee pads (volley ball knee pads for knees), head gear (with cheek protection), hand wraps, gumshield/mouthpiece, and a rash guard.

Of course, you might not be able to buy all of those because of money problems. The first thing you'll want in that case will be the mouthpiece and the 16 oz gloves. You wont be sparring with 4 oz gloves at first (at least, I pray to God no gym would have guys start with 4oz'ers) so the 16 oz gloves will be a good start. You'll need the handwraps to hit your heavy bag, and the mouthpiece once you're ready to spar.

I would never suggest hitting your heavy bag with 4 oz gloves and no wraps as a beginner. You will likely break your hand and/or sprain your wrists.

As to your other question about big guys- there are a lot of big guys in the sport. Ideally you should lose some weight down to the 260 range in order to compete at HW once you're ready to fight. Luckily for you- you've got a lot of hard training ahead of you. That weight should come off pretty handily during that time.
postman
5/26/09 9:44:57PM

Posted by Jackelope

Most gyms want guys to have a full equipment set up. That includes- 16 oz boxing gloves, 4 oz mma gloves, shin pads, wrestling shoes, knee pads (volley ball knee pads for knees), head gear (with cheek protection), hand wraps, gumshield/mouthpiece, and a rash guard.

Of course, you might not be able to buy all of those because of money problems. The first thing you'll want in that case will be the mouthpiece and the 16 oz gloves. You wont be sparring with 4 oz gloves at first (at least, I pray to God no gym would have guys start with 4oz'ers) so the 16 oz gloves will be a good start. You'll need the handwraps to hit your heavy bag, and the mouthpiece once you're ready to spar.

I would never suggest hitting your heavy bag with 4 oz gloves and no wraps as a beginner. You will likely break your hand and/or sprain your wrists.

As to your other question about big guys- there are a lot of big guys in the sport. Ideally you should lose some weight down to the 260 range in order to compete at HW once you're ready to fight. Luckily for you- you've got a lot of hard training ahead of you. That weight should come off pretty handily during that time.

You should Prop him!