Episode No. 1 recap: 'The Ultimate Fighter 16: Team Carwin vs. Team Nelson'

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Episode No. 1 recap: 'The Ultimate Fighter 16: Team Carwin vs. Team Nelson'
grappler0000
9/15/12 11:47:03AM
As "The Ultimate Fighter 16: Team Carwin vs. Team Nelson" opens up, 32 welterweight fighters make their way into Las Vegas' Mandalay Bay Events Center. UFC President Dana White is already in the octagon, and he greets the fighters with a reminder of what's on the line for these UFC hopefuls.

With the season going back to a taped format, gone are the one-round fights of the previous season. THese fighters will make their way into the house by winning a two-round exhibition fight.

The coaches are then introduced for the first time, and the fighters seem impressed with both Shane Carwin and Roy Nelson. "Big Country" starts things off by letting the competitors know that while Dana wants exciting fights, winning should be the first priority. Shane offers a more typical follow-your-dreams piece of advice before Dana lets the fighters know Roy is way off-base. He wants the guys to bring it.

Dana lays out the prize: a six-figure contract for the season's winner, as well as a custom Harley-Davidson motorcycle for the both the winning fighter and coach.

Sixteen fighters' dreams will end before they ever really begin...

Full Story
Twenty20Dollars
9/15/12 1:21:04PM
That episode was a headache to watch.
shaneTpain
9/15/12 2:10:31PM
It's lame how there making the "Dana thinks Big Countrys is annoying" shtick an out right story line. Surprise surprise! Big Countrys fat & ugly get over it Dana, you are too.
FastKnockout
9/15/12 2:18:59PM

Posted by shaneTpain

It's lame how there making the "Dana thinks Big Countrys is annoying" shtick an out right story line. Surprise surprise! Big Countrys fat & ugly get over it Dana, you are too.

I figured they'd make it a big issue later in the season but it surprised me when they started the Dana/Roy drama right out of the gate. All I could do was shake my head.
Budgellism
9/15/12 2:25:12PM

Posted by shaneTpain

Lol, this is so true.
Budgellism
9/15/12 2:29:51PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

That episode was a headache to watch.

I agree. The first episode is always my favourite but they really fucked this one up. Can you just show the fights please instead of focusing on Dana being a critic. And what's with making nearly every fight a highlight? You're not fooling me by taking away the clock and editing the rounds to be around 2-3 minutes with just the "exciting parts."

Oh well, at least Sam Alvey went in there and did his thing. He made me a fan during his stint with Bellator.
prophecy033
9/15/12 2:38:16PM
On a side note, dude from Klamath Falls, Oregon looked Damn good on the ground. He's a weird fuck tho
Svartorm
9/15/12 2:45:56PM
James Chaney. He's going to be a tough nut to crack, but if he's paired up against Diffley or Smith, I think he loses.
telnights
9/15/12 2:53:59PM
I enjoyed the fights but didn't like the editing of the fights. Is it just me or did the fighter shorts they had them wearing look more like underwear than fight shorts. I also didn't care for Dana's attitude at all.
Chael_Sonnen
9/15/12 2:59:53PM
No Porteguese subtitles =
thevoodooninja
9/15/12 3:00:53PM
i'm wanting to hear nelson talk shit back to dana. i think it would be funny to see nelson give the proverbial "F U, i dont care if you're my boss or not" finger right in his face. if any fighter would be willing to do it, it would be nelson. and it wouldn't take a whole lot for nelson to get dana boiling hot. is it just me or does dana try to act like he's in the mafia a little to much?
george112
9/15/12 3:13:41PM
Danas attitude totally killed it for me. Have a little more respect
Franklinfan47
9/15/12 3:46:44PM
On a side note, I agree with Dana that Carwin's team looks more impressive at this point.
Twenty20Dollars
9/15/12 4:13:46PM
I couldn't imagine having to sit through all those fights and especially for the two coaches to have to sit next to Dana.

He sounded like he had just started watching MMA.
backalley101
9/15/12 6:01:26PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

No Porteguese subtitles =

I don't need them lol
shaneTpain
9/15/12 7:12:21PM

He sounded like he had just started watching MMA.

as soon as any fight hit the ground he'd immediately start bitching about how "these guys don't want it" or "these guys don't impress me"

gimme a fuckin break.
JLS1980
9/15/12 8:09:22PM

Posted by Franklinfan47

On a side note, I agree with Dana that Carwin's team looks more impressive at this point.

I totally agree. I really don't see how Carwin's team will not have this season's TUF champion. Very solid.
prozacnation1978
9/16/12 8:31:50PM
Gotta go with smilin Sam alvey for winning it all
Carwins team is loaded.