Who ends up fighting winner of Rampage/Henderson?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Who ends up fighting winner of Rampage/Henderson?
Next Page »
POLL: who ends up challenging rampage/henderson?
Mauricio "Shogun" Rua 79% (58)
Forrest Griffin 0% (0)
Lyoto Machida 3% (2)
Chuck Liddell 11% (8)
Wanderlei Silva 4% (3)
Others (mention) 3% (2)
matthughes23
8/18/07 11:29:24PM
Who do u guys think will end up fighting the winner of Rampage/Henderson?
peachfuzzz1305
8/18/07 11:33:50PM
There are 2 possibilities I see

1. The winner of Forrest Griffin VS Shogun

2. The winner of Kazahiro Nakamura VS Lyoto Machida

Good Thread Bro
Twenty20Dollars
8/18/07 11:44:44PM
Well since shogun was promised a title shot if he wins his first fight, I'd say shogun, but you never know he could lose. So after that I'd have to see.
three_days_of_grey
8/19/07 1:02:13AM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Well since shogun was promised a title shot if he wins his first fight, I'd say shogun, but you never know he could lose. So after that I'd have to see.

Liddell was also promised another shot if he beats Jardine. So should Rua and Liddell win (and I really dont see a reason why they shouldnt), who gets the first crack? I would suggest Liddell fights the Hendo/Rampage winner in December and win or lose, fights Wanderlei in Feb-Mar. Should Liddell lose the title fight, Rua gets a shot in Feb/March.
I do know that the former Pride fighters should not be promised title fights after one victory. UFC is paying too much money for these guys to be on hiatus waiting for their title fight and they can't have one every month.
If Liddell lose both fights, he retires or moves to WEC.

-OUT-
J_wieting_9
8/19/07 1:27:39AM
Shogun will unless He loses or Hendo wins because if he wins its much easier to sell any match with Chuck in it and thats whats all about it isn't it
Twenty20Dollars
8/19/07 2:09:34AM
where have you been chuck doesnt get a title shot if he beats jardine haha. that shit changed. Shogun gets the crack at the title if he wins first. Dana said that long before he was even schueduled to fight forrest. Chuck would have to beat jardine and then another fighter to another shot at the title, againest a contender fighter.
postman
8/19/07 2:31:31AM

where have you been chuck doesnt get a title shot if he beats jardine haha. that shit changed. Shogun gets the crack at the title if he wins first. Dana said that long before he was even schueduled to fight forrest. Chuck would have to beat jardine and then another fighter to another shot at the title, againest a contender fighter.

Thats what I thought too
matthughes23
8/19/07 4:36:43AM
I assume that "contender fighter" is Wanderlei Silva. The fight has to go through now that Silva has officially signed with the UFC
Dom119
8/19/07 11:37:52AM
I'd like to see shogun and liddell go at it since liddell needs to wins for his title shot, hes already been handed one with the "dean of mean". we'll see who dana puts his golden boy up against for his second fight.......hopefully shogun or silva.
three_days_of_grey
8/19/07 11:40:25AM

My mistake about Liddell's chances. Too bad he ins't a coach for TUF7 then. Wont tell you where Ive been, but I can tell you where I have not: Sitting in front of my comp searching for Dana White blurbs. I am amused at how you lurk these threads eager to pounce on peoples errors..However, since you pointed it out, I went through all Rua-related articles on UFCjunkie.com and could only find this in a July 10th article.

"White recently stated that Rua could earn a title shot after just one victory in the UFC."

Could? That's a far cry from a promise.

If you could provide a link so I can read that, I would be grateful. Thanks.
DMcCabe11
8/19/07 12:11:20PM
shogun will get the title shot after he beats down forrest and then wandy vs. chuck for the next shot
hardhitta513
8/19/07 3:22:42PM
yea i think shogun/forrest winner then liddell/silva {forrest should jus cuz if he won he jus beat so called #1...ya dig}
_GSP_
8/19/07 4:32:38PM
its shogun for sure wandy and liddell will fight each other so
UBTossinasalad
8/19/07 4:50:22PM
I think the way the UFC may see this happening is Shogun beats Forrest and gets the title shot. He should beat who ever wins between Jackson/Henderson making him the title holder for Chuck to fight, after he beats Jardine and Silva, in a mega PPV event.

Dana is convinced Liddell will beat Silva when they fight and has said so many times.

If this plays out like this the UFC gets 2 huge headliner PPV fights in Shogun vs Rampage/Henderson winner for the belt and the long awaited Liddell/Silva fight, and 1 mega huge PPV headliner event in Shogun vs Liddell for the belt .

Pitbull09
8/19/07 6:40:07PM
It wont be Chuck since he needs to win two more fights. I voted Shotgun but Silvia might not be to far the way Dana White is treating him.
xchickox
8/19/07 6:43:43PM
if he loses will griffin get the title shot even though he lost to jardine??
Branwest
8/19/07 7:30:03PM
I think it'll be Shogun, if he gets past Griffin, which he should. And what if Hendo loses, will he go back to MW? And what if Shogun wins the title, and Liddell and Wandy fight, Wandy wins and is up for a title shot? Will they match up Shogun and Wandy? I think not. Even though they said they'd fight if they had to. It'd be interesting to see, but I think Shogun could beat Wandy.
griffinisback
8/19/07 7:48:16PM
it's tough to decide
Ultimate_fighter
8/19/07 7:50:34PM
I think winner of Shogun vs Griffin

..becuz if shogun wins, he deserves it, he is one of the top lhw fighter in the world..
.and becuz if forest wins, holy shit!!!!
Ultimate_fighter
8/19/07 7:54:56PM

Posted by Branwest

I think it'll be Shogun, if he gets past Griffin, which he should. And what if Hendo loses, will he go back to MW? And what if Shogun wins the title, and Liddell and Wandy fight, Wandy wins and is up for a title shot? Will they match up Shogun and Wandy? I think not. Even though they said they'd fight if they had to. It'd be interesting to see, but I think Shogun could beat Wandy.

i think the would have rampage in one of those fights, buddy... he would be a former champ if say shogun wins. They probably would have liddel or wandy vs rampage and winner of that would fight shogun...

I hate how fighters won't fight their friends if one of them has the title.... buisness is buisness... deal with it..
matthughes23
8/19/07 9:55:51PM
If they dub the shogun/griffin fight "Winner gets title shot" and griffin does a Gonzaga on shogun, UFC gonna have a really tough time promoting griffin as their No. 1 contender
SicJits
8/20/07 10:53:44AM
shogun will destroy forrest, and then fight hendo/rampage winner for the title. chuck is almost likely going to fight wandy as it is DW's dream match for years.
Branwest
8/20/07 8:29:34PM

Posted by Ultimate_fighter

Posted by Branwest

i think the would have rampage in one of those fights, buddy... he would be a former champ if say shogun wins. They probably would have liddel or wandy vs rampage and winner of that would fight shogun...

I hate how fighters won't fight their friends if one of them has the title.... buisness is buisness... deal with it..

First of all, I was answering the question of who would end up fighting the winer of Rampage/Hendo.
And as to your post, no they wouldn't. If Rampage loses to Shogun, their not going to give him one fight and then the title shot again, like you said. There's too many fighters now. He'll have to fight probably two fights.
Assumming Rampage loses to Hendo or Shogun, he'd have to wait a little while. Chuck would get a shot (assumming he wins his next couple of fights) before Rampage would again.
So what are you talking about, 'buddy.' If Shogun beats Griffin, then he'll probably get a title shot (if somehow Forrest wins, I don't know what'll happen). Then the winner of Silva/Liddell (assumming Liddell gets past Jardine), if they match them up, would get the next shot (if Silva wins and would fight Shogun). Then you have a few ppl waiting in the wings.
Depending on how it plays out there are many things that could happen. The loser of Rampage/Hendo is in the wings (unless Hendo loses and goes back to MW), then you have Shogun who'll probably fight for the title next, then you have Liddell or Silva, depending on if they win or not, and who wins if they're paired up against eachother. After that is when Rampage would get his next shot (if he wins a couple fights before then) assumming he loses to Hendo or even Shogun. Chuck was the champ for quite a while, and after one loss, if he wins his next couple of fights, he'll get the shot before Rampage (if he loses to Hendo or Shogun). I'm no Chuck a**-kisser, but that's just the way it would be.
Damn this is complicated and hard to explain. Of course Rampage is in the mix, he's the LHW champion, what do you think? If Rampage loses, then Chuck, if he continues to win, will get a shot before Rampage would again.
It would be:
Shogun/Griffin vs. title holder (Rampage or Hendo)
then Wandy/Chuck (if Chucks beats Jardine) vs. title holder
I think I've just said the same things over and over about fifty times. Sorry.
fullfighting
8/20/07 9:07:09PM
Shogun if he wins.
jocksmall
8/20/07 9:08:25PM
i just think that the champ should get the rematch. i would like to see the ufc have a little more consistancy on this matter. give chuck a rematch.
johny_rotten
8/21/07 12:23:32AM

Posted by J_wieting_9

Shogun will unless He loses or Hendo wins because if he wins its much easier to sell any match with Chuck in it and thats whats all about it isn't it

This is a very valid point. If Dan wins(he won't but lets play devils advocate) a Henderson vs Rua main event won't be a huge money maker for the UFC. I know I would love it, but the common fan doesn't know these two fighters. Chuck would be a good option, as long as he gets past Jardine, because he is a huge PPV draw, and he is Dana's poster boy. On the other hand if you move Chuck in to fight Dan you put off the blockbuster of Chuck/Wandy even longer.

All that being said Rampage will win, and he will fight Shogun. Wandy vs Chuck probably happens on the same card with the winner getting a crack at the belt.
Branwest
8/21/07 3:02:54PM

Posted by jocksmall

i just think that the champ should get the rematch. i would like to see the ufc have a little more consistancy on this matter. give chuck a rematch.

Even though Chuck was a dominant champion, I don't think he should get an immediate rematch. I think after he beats Jardine (safely assumming), he would've gotten a rematch, but since the Liddell/Wandy talk has been going on for so long, they'll make them fight to see who'll fight against the current title holder (either Rampage, Hendo, or Shogun).
With the influx of Pride fighters, it's hard to give everyone what they think their due is. Besides Rampage, the LHW champ, there are four ppl right now who have a legitimate argument that they should fight for the belt.
AAfan
8/21/07 10:09:13PM
My bet is shogun because chuck will need to win a few times before they let him back at the title
black96eclipse
8/21/07 11:46:08PM
If Couture beats Gonzaga, I think it would be awesome to see him pull a Henderson move and try to hold both titles at the same time. If Henderson beats Rampage that would make it even better. Couture vs Henderson would be a great fight.
Pitbull09
8/22/07 12:04:39AM
I dont remember voting for this but it said i did. Shotgun is guarenteed a shot if he beats forest
Pages: [1] 2