End to the hype train?(spoiler I guess maybe even though its over?)

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » End to the hype train?(spoiler I guess maybe even though its over?)
NatedawgThaM
4/18/10 12:15:38AM
I dont know if I can post this yet but the events over and I don't know why you'd get on an mma forum anyway if you don't want to talk about mma fights that just happened.

but anyway did tonight strike the end to the Gegard hype train? I never thought he sucked, never thought he was a bad fighter at all. I thought he was very skillful and poor man's version of Fedor always finding crazy ways to win with patience. But I just hated how he has yet to accomplish something great and people would actually say he'd beat Henderson, Shogun, Machida, and even win Heavyweight gold, saying that now when he really hadn't beat anybody top 5 yet.

I hope he bounces back, I was shocked at how he had no sense of urgency, I thought the whole time he'd comeback strong and finish MO late but damn. That was weird. and a little disappointing.
ncordless
4/18/10 12:18:15AM
I think it was more people didn't realize how dominant Mo was going to be when he really got down to wrestling.

Mousasi should have never been though of as top 5 yet, but he has had several big wins in his career. I wouldn't count him out just because he can't stay on his feet against Lawal.
Twenty20Dollars
4/18/10 12:26:25AM
Gegard just seemed too relaxed and then maybe like he gassed in the later rounds.

It was kinda like King Mo maybe gassed early but then gained a second wind in the last 3 rounds and like gegard gassed after the second.
grappler0000
4/18/10 12:40:00AM
I still consider Gegard legit. I thought Mo would win, but because it was a bad style matchup for Mousasi. I think he'll struggle against many of the top guys with good TD's. I was a little disappointed that both guys gassed as early as they did though. I picked Mo, put money on him, and put him in my parlay...so I was a little concerned that Mousasi was reserving his energy, but apparently not.
kopower
4/18/10 1:03:22AM
I was stunned that Mousasi didn't finish the fight. After round 2 I thought he had Mo right where he wanted him. Mo just kept taking him down and Gegard had zero td defense.
seanfu
4/18/10 2:03:05AM
Yeah, and an end to Henso's hype train, I'm sooo glad he lost, just because everyone was saying it was gonna be so easy for him. Thank you Shields. I don't really see him having a chance in hell, but with the way he's been upsetting people maybe GSP could be his next fight, if he makes the decision to go UFC. Assuming it could happen, I think he would have to beat a top guy first, but maybe he has more lightning to catch.

Ohh, and to Hendo and Aoki.... PWNED!!!
warglory
4/18/10 2:27:46AM

Posted by seanfu

Yeah, and an end to Henso's hype train, I'm sooo glad he lost, just because everyone was saying it was gonna be so easy for him. Thank you Shields. I don't really see him having a chance in hell, but with the way he's been upsetting people maybe GSP could be his next fight, if he makes the decision to go UFC. Assuming it could happen, I think he would have to beat a top guy first, but maybe he has more lightning to catch.

Hendo wasn't owned man, he almost KOed Shields in the first. Shields is just that damn good on the ground, that all, but I thought Hendo defended well, he just couldn't mount an offense.
seanfu
4/18/10 2:33:44AM

Posted by warglory

Posted by seanfu

Hendo wasn't owned man, he almost KOed Shields in the first. Shields is just that damn good on the ground, that all, but I thought Hendo defended well, he just couldn't mount an offense.

Okay, so for a round he was dominant, but I clearly saw him pissing himself a little as Shield accurately punched him in the face and passed his guard like butter for 4 rounds after that. I mean what constitutes domination, rocking someone hard for a round, or getting your guard easily passed while curling in the fetal position from the mass volume of undefended strikes hitting your face and 5 or 6 sub attempts.

NatedawgThaM
4/18/10 2:38:38AM
How in the blue hell was their ever a Hendo hype train? That's ridiculous. He's a solid PROVEN veteran with tons of accomplishments and world class wins over top 3-5 guys. Shields just shocked the world and proved himself. That does not make Hendo any less of a fighter. He's definitely not a hype job. Shields just shocked us all.

Aoki shouldn't fight in the cage anymore. Melendez throwing him against the cage really killed all hopes he had. he definitely should work on his mauy thai too since I think you need a back up plan every time. I feel like he has so much potential but limits himself.
TimW001
4/18/10 2:45:04AM

Posted by warglory

Posted by seanfu

He got owned.
seanfu
4/18/10 2:52:18AM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

How in the blue hell was their ever a Hendo hype train? That's ridiculous. He's a solid PROVEN veteran with tons of accomplishments and world class wins over top 3-5 guys. Shields just shocked the world and proved himself. That does not make Hendo any less of a fighter. He's definitely not a hype job. Shields just shocked us all.

Aoki shouldn't fight in the cage anymore. Melendez throwing him against the cage really killed all hopes he had. he definitely should work on his mauy thai too since I think you need a back up plan every time. I feel like he has so much potential but limits himself.

Everyone was saying how Hendo would easily take the title and it wouldn't be much of a fight. I think he would win 5 out of 10 but Shields was not a Matt Serra, he proved he's a world class competitor. And Hendo proved he's not some guy who can smash everyone but Anderson, he's just another world class fighter.
NatedawgThaM
4/18/10 3:06:37AM
Ight. I definitely agree. Shields I think proved he was world class.
cmill21
4/18/10 3:35:15AM
So because Shields proved he's a great fighter it derailed Hendo....okkkkk buddy. Gegard just showed how wrestling is the #1 thing far and away with the american rules of MMA.
seanfu
4/18/10 3:40:00AM

Posted by cmill21

So because Shields proved he's a great fighter it derailed Hendo....okkkkk buddy. Gegard just showed how wrestling is the #1 thing far and away with the american rules of MMA.

It derailed Hendo as much as losing to Anderson derailed Hendo.
BeeR
4/18/10 7:52:23AM

Posted by warglory

Posted by seanfu

yes, he almost KO'd him in the first...........then got pWned for 4 rounds, what the hell were you watching, letting a guy transition at will, and mount at will is definetly not defending well.
RhythmAndStyle
4/18/10 8:12:47AM
i forgot but someone said yesterday on CBS that havin a wrestlin base in mma is the best base to have..i think i was durnin the Aoki vs Melendez bout..and King Mo didn't do much, didn't try to pass guard..landed some GnP..but Mousasi just didn't do anything back neither..like he didn't want to spend energy..waitin for something to open up..but it never came..TBH i felt like i wasn't watchin Mousasi..dude was just way too relax and needed to be more active..spend some energy to escape and get back on the feet, where he needed it to be..
AchillesHeel
4/18/10 9:22:28AM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

but anyway did tonight strike the end to the Gegard hype train?

I don't remember ever hearing anyone say that Mousasi would beat Henderson, Shogun, Machida or win "Heavyweight gold." Mousasi was my 2008 Fighter of the Year, when he was still fighting at Middleweight, and he was never in my Top 10 as a Light-Heavyweight. So I never noticed a "hype train" in the first place.

Posted by NatedawgThaM

I hope he bounces back, I was shocked at how he had no sense of urgency, I thought the whole time he'd comeback strong and finish MO late but damn. That was weird. and a little disappointing.

I agree, his lack of takedown defense was a little surprising, but maybe I underestimated King Mo. I'm not sure Mousasi had ever fought a great wrestler before, so the deficiency wasn't exposed before now (and if want to talk "overhyped", let's talk about Renato Sobral and Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou ).
sbulldavid
4/18/10 11:29:58AM
I thought more people would have picked Mo, because of how their styles clashed. I'm not surprised that he won, but Mousasi had a horrible game plan, and Mousasi really dominated off his back, I never realized until last night, how much MMA favors take downs over damage inflicted . I think if anything this exposed the holes on Mousasi and Lawal's game and they should be better for it.
State_Champ
4/18/10 12:12:48PM
I don't think it's the end. Mousasi will come back (maybe with better takedown-defense).

This fight to me kind of showcased wrestling > fighting...because I still have no doubt that Mousasi is generally more skilled than King Mo in every area except wrestling. I'm not trying to say that toughness and hunger had no part to play since clearly King Mo looked to be the much busier much hungrier fighter, but I truly believe Mousasi is better all around than Mo and yet Mousasi still lost.
BustedKnuckle
4/18/10 5:00:10PM
I was sold on mousassi and stil think he has a wealth of talent...just needs to learn to sprawl and wizzer. Mo definatly made me a fan last night. The guy talkjs a ton of shite but then he backed it up. Even when he was dog tired in the 5th his TD were still very explosive. WAR KING MO!!
Jackelope
4/18/10 5:29:58PM
Personally from the opening bell I thought Hendo looked more sluggish and flat than I've ever seen him. I'm not sure how bad his back was but I thought for sure he showed in the first round that he had Shields totally out classed. It looked like physically he just wasn't ready for a 5 round fight. And props to Shields for taking advantage of that and taking the fight to him.

I'd love to see a rematch in the future if it's at all possible considering the contract situation.

As for Mousasi- I think he was just biding his time but that he didn't expect King Mo to be able to dig so deep and get a 2nd wind. On top of that I think he overestimated his own ability to weather the storm. He'll be back for sure and he's still a legitimate threat at LHW IMO
BlueSkiesBurn
4/18/10 6:02:52PM
I hate to say but Hendo did get owned by Shields, although I will say this, Shields should have finished that fight. And honestly, if it had been anyone else in that cage with Shields I'm sure there would have been a stoppage when Shields was hammering down on his face. Hendo was sort of inactive there for a moment.
slapshot
4/18/10 11:19:21PM
Hendo came closer to finishing twice in one round than shields did in four and even with the mount he failed to finish him.

I didn't think either fighter looked that good, hendo completely gassed after the first and shields should have been able to finish that fight. Just getting the win is huge for shields thats for sure and I think he's a great fighter.

I thought Mousasi had probably the worst game plan Ive ever seen him use in a fight and Id say half the fight was lost right there if not more but he's young and there is no doubt in my mind he'll use this as a learning experience.

If you dont like him thats fine but he's still a sold fighter, the true test is to get into the UFC though and anyone looking to make a bid has to start there.