emfleek = quit smoking

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » emfleek = quit smoking
emfleek
8/8/08 10:47:08AM
Well, I can't technically say I 'quit' just yet. It's been about 26 hours since I had my last cigarette. Wish me luck. I'm going to need it...

Feel free to share your success stories and/or hints and advice. The candy thing doesn't work for me...I'm not much of a candy fan. My best bet, I think, is to simply stay busy to keep my mind off of it.
DevonFoxy
8/8/08 10:51:42AM
Stay strong bro. My sister smoked for like 5 years and just quit one day and its probably the hardest thing she's done but it's def worth it health wise. I'll have ya in my prayers because it aint gonna be easy but nothing in this world worth having is
emfleek
8/8/08 10:53:50AM

Posted by DevonFoxy

Stay strong bro. My sister smoked for like 5 years and just quit one day and its probably the hardest thing she's done but it's def worth it health wise. I'll have ya in my prayers because it aint gonna be easy but nothing in this world worth having is

I've been smoking since I was 13...I'm 29 now. I did quit once (for a year) but started back up for some idiotic reason. I felt so good for that year and I curse myself daily for not sticking to it.
Darnok
8/8/08 10:57:05AM
When I quit the doctor prescribed Zyban. Wow that was amazing stuff. Both my wife and I quit using it.

We found that it makes the taste of cigs gross and you stop having cravings.

GOOD LUCK
gsquat
8/8/08 10:57:38AM
Good luck. Never been a smoker myself. I'm fine with standard issue air. Never tried weed either (or any drug for that matter)... but I have a lot of family members who smoke. I've seen peoples' will and their often feeble attempts to quit. It must be hard so stay strong. All I can say is be the master of yourself... (waiting for the gross jokes).
Khaos
8/8/08 11:14:01AM
Good luck man, it's probably gonna be hard. I personally don't smoke, but a couple years back my mother got like deathly sick, and because she had smoked for like 20 years, she almost died. The minute she got better, she axed smoking from her life, and hasn't smoke in over 3 years.
DCRage
8/8/08 11:34:26AM
I don't smoke either, but you might want to get on the gum, the patch, stuff like that and fins a support group. All that stuff increases your chances of quitting and staying off them.
bullettdodger
8/8/08 12:00:32PM
Yo fleeker, i quit twice as well... but im currently still on my last quit. I'm getting to the 7th month soon, so i just hit my 6 month mile stone, isn't there someone to give out a damn chip like in AA. My advice is this. No one can quit until they are ready. It take mental strength to be able to consistently tell yourself no every time you have a craving. Really though when i quit this last time, it was because i really couldn't stand how cigs made me feel. You'd use them to get through your day, but feel like total crap at the end of it. I don't know your situation, but gum was helpful to me, and not all that niccorette bull, normal gum. Just chewing that gum while my buddies smoke a cig helped me out a great deal. But to be completely honest, nothing will reallly take away that ping inside your belly that wants a ciggarette when you're drunk. Thats really the danger zone. It is most important not to go overboard in your drinking while in the early stages of quitting. Its just so easy to say.... "why not just one". Anyway my parting words for you on this subject are this: Even if you slip up, don't have another one after the slip up. You hop right back on the horse, and you keep riding out of town brother. You'll have the nicotine monkey off your back in no time and feel better and breathe better for it!
AchillesHeel
8/8/08 12:18:17PM

Posted by emfleek

Well, I can't technically say I 'quit' just yet. It's been about 26 hours since I had my last cigarette. Wish me luck. I'm going to need it...

Feel free to share your success stories and/or hints and advice. The candy thing doesn't work for me...I'm not much of a candy fan. My best bet, I think, is to simply stay busy to keep my mind off of it.

Good decision!

I smoked for about twelve years, and quitting was a 2-year-long process for me, but it actually wasn't that difficult. My advice is to not go "cold turkey." I can't imagine how to make it more difficult on yourself than that, and I think some people who try aren't really serious about quitting; after a while, people started to notice that they hadn't seen me smoking.

That's the first thing you need to do: You have to actually decide to quit, not just say you're quitting. Be honest with yourself, even if you lie to everyone else. In fact, I specifically didn't tell other people that I was quitting.

Assuming you genuinely want to quit and aren't just trying to look like you're trying, here's how I did it:

First, I tended to smoke at predictable times, so I sort of 'mapped out' my smoking patterns: I smoked on my way to work or school in the morning; I smoked after eating a meal; I smoked when I wanted to take a break from working or doing school work; I smoked while drinking coffee or beer; and so on.

So my first "trick" was to quit one cigarette at a time. The first cigarette that I quit smoking was my first cigarette of the day. Then I quit smoking the cigarette that I would smoke mid-morning, to take a break from work. Then I quit smoking the cigarette I would smoke after lunch. Eventually, I would only smoke in the evening. Then I would only smoke on weekends. Then I would only smoke while I was out at a bar or at a party. Then I would only smoke when I was out of the country. Obviously, this would be different for you, based on your "map" of your smoking habits.

For a while, I replaced some of these cigarettes with a mint or a piece of gum. The stronger, the better. Altoids were too weak. I needed something that burned and made my eyes water.

Also, I don't agree with people who say you should avoid activities that you associate with smoking, like drinking coffee or beer. I didn't want to change my entire life, I just wanted to quit smoking, so I re-trained myself to do those things without cigarettes. I still drink beer and coffee, I still go outside to stretch my legs after lunch, and I still have sex. The only thing I quit doing was smoking.

My second "trick" was to allow myself an "emergency cigarette." That is, I allowed myself to smoke against the pattern once in a while. For instance, I had two on September 11th, 2001, even though that was a Tuesday, and I was only smoking on weekends. I wasn't "falling off the wagon", or failing in any way; those smokes were part of the plan.

My third "trick" was to only keep as many cigarettes from each new pack as fit my new pattern. In a sense, I bought just as many packs as before - buying them was part of my habit - but I shrank each pack of smokes to fit. Towards the end, I was buying a new pack of smokes and then giving or throwing away 17 or 18 of them. This made buying cigarettes increasingly painful, and after a while I was spending $1-$2 on every smoke.

I chewed a pack of gum a week for a couple of years after quitting, but I've even quit that now, too.
ncordless
8/8/08 1:14:14PM
Good Luck, from a fellow smoker. I've got a similar story, and I am still trying to quit. Go for the Zyban, I've never tried it but I have seen it work on friends that I never thought would stop.

Whatever you do... don't let yourself make an excuse.
RNC
8/8/08 1:49:49PM
A lot of people find chewing gum helps.
casey64
8/8/08 3:17:10PM
Good luck, dont give up, you will get cravings but stay strong and dont give up on it, it will all be worth it in the end.
dannyfrank
8/8/08 4:14:07PM
good luck man
JukeboxJim
8/8/08 5:13:57PM
Awesome deicison, and the best of luck. I've gone eight and a half months without a smoke, cold turkey, and it's still brutal some days. I've heard repeatedly of a prescription drug you can get, the name escapes me, that will virtually kill all cravings. If you find it hard but truly want to quit, it's an alternative. More expensive to buy initially than Nicorette and Nicoderm, but cheaper in the long run as the patch/gum phases are set up to last about six months, the drug is one month or less.
Red-Dragon
8/8/08 7:36:50PM
Man I wish I could quit but just thinking of quiting makes me want to smoke.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
8/8/08 9:04:24PM
my success story is i never started. I could never understand smoking cigarettes. They smell terrible , dont get you high and ruin your stamina. good luck btw.
nastshabast
8/17/08 2:05:31AM
oh em, just do it bro. tell everyone who'll listen and be accountable.

i smoked for 10 years and quit cold turkey. Haven't touched one since May 07.

good luck
misses1112
8/18/08 10:26:36PM
best of luck to you
be strong
it is not easy
addiction is tricky
don't let it beat you
it will be painful
let the pain leave your body
you will become stronger in the end.