Emelianenko vs. Buentello added to July 19 Affliction card Officially

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Emelianenko vs. Buentello added to July 19 Affliction card Officially
SmileR
5/20/08 5:55:10PM
A once-rumored match between Aleksander Emelianenko (13-3) and Paul Buentello (25-10) is now official for the July 19 "Affliction: Banned" show.

The organization, which will air its main card on pay per view, made the announcement during today's media and fan events in Los Angeles and New York City.

The latest booking further bolsters a fight card that's full of familiar names, including main-event participants Fedor Emelianenko and Tim Sylvia.

Aleksander Emelianenko, the younger brother of Fedor, has bounced around the MMA circuit ever since the demise of PRIDE Fighting Championships, his former home. He's 4-0 in his past four fights, which included stops with BodogFIGHT, M-1 and Hardcore Championship Fighting. He most recently defeated Silvao Santos via first-round TKO at an April 3 M-1 event in Russia.

Buentello, a former UFC heavyweight contender, hasn't fought since a November 2007 loss to Alistair Overeem for the first-ever Strikeforce world heavyweight title. The second-round submission loss was his first defeat in five fights -- and just his second loss in his past 12 fights.

Expect fireworks with the the Emelianenko-Buentello clash. Of the two fighters' combined 38 victories, 24 have come via knockout or knockout.

Link
SmileR
5/20/08 5:57:22PM
I'd love to know how they got past Aleksander's visa problems! I thought it would be near impossible!
candynuts
5/20/08 5:58:22PM
Now why is this card so good? Because there are Heavyweights!

But man this card is getting stacked, I hear Affliction signed Lil' Nog.
juanez13
5/20/08 5:59:23PM
should be a good fight, good slugfest. Aleks 1st round KO. his hands are too fast for buentello.
coldchillin
5/20/08 6:02:47PM
well Buentello is a game opponent... I don't see him slugging it out with Aleksander without getting knocked out.
Kracker_Jap
5/20/08 6:09:53PM
Buentello is going Crush and Expose Aleskander

This fight will be a slugfest with American comming out on top
juanez13
5/20/08 6:12:41PM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

I would make an avy bet with you if i didnt have one already set

hopefully someone picks up on your foolish assumption and take you op on that
Kracker_Jap
5/20/08 6:13:16PM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

I mean we all know the people Aleskander has lost to but who has he beaten that matters.....

I don't buy the hype
Kracker_Jap
5/20/08 6:15:30PM

Posted by juanez13

Posted by Kracker_Jap

I would make an avy bet with you if i didnt have one already set

hopefully someone picks up on your foolish assumption and take you op on that

Sorry but Pookie keeps me from making Avatar bets
juanez13
5/20/08 6:15:34PM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Posted by Kracker_Jap

I mean we all know the people Aleskander has lost to but who has he beaten that matters.....

I don't but the hype

He beat JT man, that should erase all previous doubt

But IMO his hands are way too fast for buentello to handle, as Arlovski showed in their fight.
Kracker_Jap
5/20/08 6:17:37PM

Posted by juanez13

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Posted by Kracker_Jap

I don't but the hype

He beat JT man, that should erase all previous doubt

But IMO his hands are way too fast for buentello to handle, as Arlovski showed in their fight.

ya good point about JT I guess we'll have to wait and see
wolfman
5/20/08 7:10:38PM
Seems like a no brainer for me, Emelianenko via 1st round TKO.
Aaronno9
5/20/08 7:55:37PM

Posted by wolfman

Bit of a mismatch if you ask me, aleks has a distinct advantage anywhere this fight goes. No disrespect to paul or anything, hes a game competitor, but i think hes going to get schooled.
juanez13
5/20/08 8:01:08PM

Posted by Aaronno9

Posted by wolfman

Bit of a mismatch if you ask me, aleks has a distinct advantage anywhere this fight goes. No disrespect to paul or anything, hes a game competitor, but i think hes going to get schooled.

yea not to mention aleks is 6'6, and buenteallo is some like 6'1
loller90278
5/20/08 8:04:00PM
so does this mean they didn't sign arlovski

aleks via flurry of punches 1R
AllKnowin1
5/20/08 9:11:23PM
Emeilianenko by TKO...
mrsmiley
5/20/08 9:25:30PM
I thought Lil' Nog was fighting Buentello????
NatedawgThaM
5/20/08 9:35:33PM
Buentello does not have a huge head kick that could drop Alesk like Cro Cop did. I don't even think he could get his leg up that far. Alesk has a good chin and hits like he has a brick taped to his fist.

Should be a sick brawl though! Alesk KO in the 2nd!!! BUT OMFG THIS CARD IS TOO SICK TO BE TRUE!!! I seriously think they should save this for the second event because this card is just to sick and the next card behind this will just fail tremendously. I think they should quit trying to come into the scene with a bang and plan more long term and lasting!!!
Mchubb316
5/20/08 10:21:57PM
Aleks first round ko. He is too good of a striker, and can hold his own against paul on the ground.
Kracker_Jap
5/20/08 10:27:53PM
I guess I'm the only one who didn't drink the "A. Ememlianenko KOOL AID"

BA BA BA BA Black sheep I am..... Buentello 1st round KO
wolfman
5/20/08 10:29:42PM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Last time you weren't drinking the "Barnett KOOL AID" and were picking Monson to win, well we saw how that turned out. j/k
Kracker_Jap
5/20/08 10:33:32PM

Posted by wolfman

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Last time you weren't drinking the "Barnett KOOL AID" and were picking Monson to win, well we saw how that turned out. j/k

Great point I totally agree.... but if I did'nt pick Jeff that would put the bad mojo on him and the 360.... the guy lives 20min from my house if he knew I wasn't rooting for him he could easily hunt me down and choke me out

Vietnamese_Guy
5/20/08 10:40:55PM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Posted by wolfman

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Great point I totally agree.... but if I did'nt pick Jeff that would put the bad mojo on him and the 360.... the guy lives 20min from my house if he knew I wasn't rooting for him he could easily hunt me down and choke me out

i don't doubt it, he's an anarchist
wolfman
5/20/08 10:44:41PM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Posted by wolfman

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Yeah, and he's a self proclaimed anarchist....You'd be done for.
wolfman
5/20/08 10:45:27PM

Posted by Vietnamese_Guy

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Posted by wolfman

Posted by Kracker_Jap

i don't doubt it, he's an anarchist

Great minds think alike, beat me to it...
Kracker_Jap
5/20/08 10:59:39PM
honestly he is real spooky to talk to....... quite like

He bought a mustang convertible (for his girl) from all star ford when I was there
loller90278
5/21/08 3:15:09AM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

He bought a mustang convertible (for his girl) from all star ford when I was there

no wonder why hes fighting 3x in 3 months..
Kracker_Jap
5/21/08 3:35:39AM

Posted by loller90278

Posted by Kracker_Jap

no wonder why hes fighting 3x in 3 months..

It was a v6....... After his fight with Timmy about $25500 cash

when you hate the govermant I guess you don't have good credit we could not finance her and he didn't want his name on it.....
Manfred
5/21/08 9:33:34AM

Posted by SmileR

I'd love to know how they got past Aleksander's visa problems! I thought it would be near impossible!

What visa issue? I've never seen anything beyond internet chat room rumors about his record. I did some searching and I couldn't find anything concrete. The closest thing is an interview where he talks about his tattoos. That's it.

Considering his prof. career, He had to have been like 16 if he did four years in jail. And that's if he came right out and immediately started winning Sambo tourneys. Not likely. If he did do four years, he was almost definitely a minor.

As to the card, I think these match ups make sense from a marketing stand point. Not many casual US fans know Fedor, Aleks or Barnett. They know AA and Timmah.

So I think it's an intro card to the non-hardcores and if all the favorites win, then you but together the match-ups we all wanted. Fedor vs. Barnett and AA vs. Aleks.
CantAndleDaRiddum
5/22/08 12:20:06AM
Aleks via 1st Rd KO