Emelianenko: I’m not the best fighter

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Emelianenko: I’m not the best fighter
Next Page »
scoozna
8/13/08 4:46:15PM
One of the most hotly debated topics in mixed martial arts these days is the identity of the world’s best pound-for-pound fighter.

UFC president Dana White insists it’s middleweight champion Anderson Silva. Others consider either UFC lightweight champion B.J. Penn or UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre to be No. 1.
yahoo mma article
Further down Dana says:
“But we all have to thank him for getting rid of Tim Sylvia. He’d been stinking out the joint the last couple of years and Fedor did everyone a favor by beating him so easily and getting rid of him.”

I thought that was low, even for Dana.
holt8081
8/13/08 4:47:32PM
thats great
Cobbs666
8/13/08 4:50:27PM
only loss due to an illegal elbow??? i have the fight and to me it looks like a punch
Copenhagen
8/13/08 4:57:07PM
Dana is so disrespectful. He's going to put down a fighter who went 3 good rounds with his interim champ, and went the distance with his champ.

I think Dana is trying to diss Fedor by saying Tim wasn't a good fight for him (which isn't true), more then trying to put down Tim. He completely went out of line there though.

JimiMak
8/13/08 5:05:11PM

Posted by Cobbs666

only loss due to an illegal elbow??? i have the fight and to me it looks like a punch

yep, illegal elbow. Fedor ducked the punch and caught his elbow. It would've been a NC if it weren't in a tournament but they needed a winner to move on. I thought that was pretty well known.
Copenhagen
8/13/08 5:10:29PM

Posted by JimiMak

Posted by Cobbs666

yep, illegal elbow. Fedor ducked the punch and caught his elbow. It would've been a NC if it weren't in a tournament but they needed a winner to move on. I thought that was pretty well known.

Yeah, and then he even avenged it.
wiggum
8/13/08 5:11:06PM
man...you can make a serious argument for him as the best, but you have to consider penn, gsp and silva when making it to...all of whom i place above fedor on the lb 4 lb.....but after that silva clubbing he is without a doubt the best hw on the planet.....even tho hes starting to jump on the band wagon, dana still had it right saying "finally got rid of sylvia"...cuz hes right, that guy has been stinking up the joint.....all the crap that oger talks and he cant finish fights anymore? man sylvia needs to put up or shut the f*** up....i hate watching that guy fight, ya ever notice the last few fights hes been the main event, the ufc has and an undercard fight that is always hyped more ufc 59: tito vs forest, titos back 61: tito v shamrock , nuff said ufc 81 brock lesnar vs mir....he is a waste of talent and if he went back to earlier in his career then he could be a marketing sensation and crowd favorite and put on fights people would remember, as long as he didnt say stupid s*** in interviews or go on blind date...then he could stop wondering why the fans dont like him..look at the iceman, his fights are not all that over exciting, they just have the exciting finishes that stick in peoples minds, plus he's always repping the afterparty....clue in timmy
Wolfenstein
8/13/08 5:14:26PM
Very humble Fedor...cmon you know you're the friggin best...admit it!

Dana should just stick to talking about UFC fighters. There's no need to dog out every fighter outside of the organization. How dumb does he think the MMA audience is? Seriously stop saying crap you don't believe because we don't believe it either. Who is the top HW? The guy Fedor has beaten twice? I guess that means Rich Franklin is the #1 MW in the world.
iwannabesedated
8/13/08 5:17:55PM
I think the whole pound for pound is stupid.Because theres no real solid way to determine who it is.

i think people should just focus on whose the best for the weight classes they represent..and end this p4p crap.
RMFG_187
8/13/08 5:22:33PM

Posted by scoozna

One of the most hotly debated topics in mixed martial arts these days is the identity of the world’s best pound-for-pound fighter.

I dont think so, the ones who dont believe Fedor is, are in denial. Anderson has been stopped, Fedor hasn't.
bls1919
8/13/08 5:23:44PM
I dont like all the F everyone else in MMA image Dana puts out.
fizz
8/13/08 5:24:29PM

Posted by Cobbs666

He sill lost only due to cut ...witch everyone always seem to forget !! COME ON the guy dindnt do enouph to prove his value !! Hes gonna take on now the best HW in the buisness ...its a shame he lost approx a year with the Bodog Bullshit
becasue now that hes starting to prove is legacy wright everyone can see what a top athlete he is!!
TimW001
8/13/08 6:19:14PM

“He’s not the best pound-for-pound fighter, not even close, but he’s one of the four or five best heavyweights,” said White,

Come on you guys.

“I don’t consider myself on top of the pedestal,” said Emelianenko (28-1, 1 no contest), who has largely been unchallenged since his only loss, which came because of a cut caused by an illegal elbow in a 2000 fight with Tsuyoshi Kohsaka.

“I have certain weaknesses and I make certain mistakes. Of course, that is frustrating, because like any athlete, I strive to get better each day. I know a lot of the media and the fans want to say I’m the best. I appreciate that, but that’s not how I consider myself.”

Respect.
crushedbacon
8/13/08 6:34:56PM
“He’s not the best pound-for-pound fighter, not even close, but he’s one of the four or five best heavyweights,” said White,

Wow what does that list look like....LOL.

One of the 4 or 5 best in the world. Who the hell at heavyweight can even hold fedor's jock Dana? Your interm champ? Fedor smashed him at his own game twice....WTF. I can barely think of 4 or 5 heavyweights in the UFC. Dana knows his heavyweight division sucks, and thats why he has to say crap like this, but somebody should call him on it.
MaxOne
8/13/08 6:37:12PM
Dana has done a lot for the sport but sometimes he says really stupid things....

imanidiot777
8/13/08 6:43:49PM
I just really really wish the UFC would put out some big dough and SIGN FEDOR eventually here, the UFC could have the best fighter at EACH WEIGHT class then. That would be so ridiculous, at that point, any match you want can happen.
mrsmiley
8/13/08 6:54:24PM

Posted by MaxOne

Dana has done a lot for the sport but sometimes he says really stupid things....

I do like Dana,but when it comes to all the Fedor bashing I just turn get really aggrevated.Dana,I believe does it more for a business point of perspective like Joe Rogan said.

If you were Dana's best buddy and behind closed doors he would probably admit Fedor was the best P4P,or at least the best heavy weight.
BIGKAT
8/13/08 8:23:50PM
Take note Brock......

That is called CLASS!
nickcuc547
8/13/08 8:23:57PM

Posted by Copenhagen

Dana is so disrespectful. He's going to put down a fighter who went 3 good rounds with his interim champ, and went the distance with his champ.

I think Dana is trying to diss Fedor by saying Tim wasn't a good fight for him (which isn't true), more then trying to put down Tim. He completely went out of line there though.

it's ok for everybody to pile on big tim for every reason in the book, but when dana does it (and what he said was true, and i'm a fan of sylvia) it's blasphemy. people just love to hate on dana, but if it weren't for his brash personality, the ufc and mma would not be where it is today in the U.S.
Copenhagen
8/13/08 10:43:08PM

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by Copenhagen

it's ok for everybody to pile on big tim for every reason in the book, but when dana does it (and what he said was true, and i'm a fan of sylvia) it's blasphemy. people just love to hate on dana, but if it weren't for his brash personality, the ufc and mma would not be where it is today in the U.S.

How is it the same for one of us to disrespect Tim in a thread as it is for Dana, president of the UFC, to do it in an interview? They don't compare.
Dana built the UFC up with his bear hands (how can I not like the guy?) His comments get to me sometimes though.
wrestler189
8/14/08 12:11:02AM

Posted by Cobbs666

look closer. it was an illegal elbow according to the tournament rules. they had to have one guy advance and fedor couldnt therefore he was given the loss
godofdixie
8/14/08 3:15:32AM
fedor's humility makes him even more deserving of the mythical pound for pound champion imo, although i'd go w/ anderson silva based on his recent track record
dmfp
8/14/08 4:59:19AM
That was one of the funniest comments Dana has ever made!
pv3Hpv3p
8/14/08 10:45:29AM

Posted by crushedbacon

Wow what does that list look like....LOL.

One of the 4 or 5 best in the world. Who the hell at heavyweight can even hold fedor's jock Dana? Your interm champ? Fedor smashed him at his own game twice....WTF. I can barely think of 4 or 5 heavyweights in the UFC. Dana knows his heavyweight division sucks, and thats why he has to say crap like this, but somebody should call him on it.

I agree... I would really like to see Dana's top 5 HW's list... I understand that he has to say he has the best fighters, but c'mon... Name me one UFC or any other org's HW's that could be ranked above Fedor?

There might be an arguement that Fedor isn't the best #4# fighter out there (for the record I think he is), but to say he isn't the best HW on the planet is just dumb
MikeyG
8/14/08 11:27:33AM
P4P I still think Fedor would at least take the top 5 P4P'ers to a decision win if he couldnt finish them.
Pyrenus
8/14/08 12:22:28PM
Dana has done great things for the sport, but he's always been biased towards the UFC.

If Fedor signed a contract with the UFC, Dana would be saying how they have the #1 fighter in the world and the #1 P4P fighter. Even before Fedor had 1 fight in the UFC. AS would be old news.
finnish_line
8/14/08 1:02:42PM

Posted by imanidiot777

I just really really wish the UFC would put out some big dough and SIGN FEDOR eventually here

He tried. Fedor's camp wouldn't see reason.
MikeyG
8/14/08 2:41:06PM

Posted by finnish_line

Posted by imanidiot777

I just really really wish the UFC would put out some big dough and SIGN FEDOR eventually here

vice versa
JimiMak
8/14/08 8:27:30PM

Posted by MikeyG

Posted by finnish_line

Posted by imanidiot777

vice versa

Actually UFC offered him far more money, as per his camp, it was contract specfics that he (his camp) didn't like.
mrsmiley
8/14/08 8:35:26PM
According to the last issue of Fight Sport magazine,Fedors manager said they still negotiate with the UFC,so you never know,something could happen.
Pages: [1] 2