Elliptical Glide or Rowing Machine?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Elliptical Glide or Rowing Machine?
ghosted3
9/17/07 10:33:05AM
Which would be better to get in better shape and help with BJJ? I dont really know much about either machine but it seems to me that the rower would be better for a general exercise, but I could be wrong. Thanks in advance for the help.
loonytnt
9/17/07 11:38:08AM
id say if you can do both, the more you do the more anything can help
ghosted3
9/17/07 12:00:15PM
Sorry, I should have worded better, which should I buy lol.
jocka
9/17/07 12:10:19PM
Whats your goal ? burn calories or get better cardio ?
ghosted3
9/17/07 1:21:11PM
Honestly both as cheesy as that sounds. Trying to get my weight down to compete in BJJ.
Jackelope
9/17/07 1:39:05PM
If you're looking at conditioning your upper body/back I'd say the rowing machine is a lot better for you. Done with proper form, of course. Not to mention the fact that when they fold down they're much more compact than most elliptical machines.

Ellipticals are nice, but mostly they're designed to be a low impact running system. I guarantee you with enough hard work on a rowing machine you're going to get great cardio.

Ultimately, I'd go with the rowing machine.

Disclaimer: I'm not a personal trainer, just a workout-a-holic.
Rush
9/17/07 3:09:35PM
I think the elliptical trainer is more versatile, but you have to get a really good quality one for it to work really well.

There are other things you have to consider

room/space - the rowing machine will demand more space (unless you get one that folds up)

maintenance - There is a strong possibility that you'll have to fork out $$$ to fix these things, especially if you buy a cheap one.

Will you use it in the future? - What is the point of buying one of these if you don't think you'll (or your family if you have one) use it for more than the next couple years.

Personally, I would take the 1-2 thousand you would spend on a good machine and get a gym membership (which already has these things and more) for a few years.
Jackelope
9/17/07 3:15:29PM

Posted by Rush

I think the elliptical trainer is more versatile, but you have to get a really good quality one for it to work really well.

There are other things you have to consider

room/space - the rowing machine will demand more space (unless you get one that folds up)

maintenance - There is a strong possibility that you'll have to fork out $$$ to fix these things, especially if you buy a cheap one.

Will you use it in the future? - What is the point of buying one of these if you don't think you'll (or your family if you have one) use it for more than the next couple years.

Personally, I would take the 1-2 thousand you would spend on a good machine and get a gym membership (which already has these things and more) for a few years.

If you want to consider a gym membership thrown in there my money is all the way, without a shadow of a doubt, beyond reasonable margin on a gym membership. Especially if you get a monthly contract or a really low rate annual
Svartorm
9/18/07 2:54:41AM
I'm in agreement with Rush and Jackelope. Good equipment costs an arm and a leg, and ellipticals tend to break down somewhat frequently. I'd go with a gym membership and then you can use both.

If you're absolutely dead-set on owning a piece of equipment though, I'd go with the elliptical, as its a bit more versitile and gives a better all-around workout.
jocka
9/18/07 8:17:22AM
I would agrress with the guys here. go to the gym. you will be able to do them both.
ghosted3
9/18/07 10:06:30AM
Thanks for the info and help guys. I will take the gym idea into consideration, I have just never been a big fan of gyms, but I guess I might have to so I can step up my game. Thanks again.
sparkle
6/5/10 4:15:43AM
Sorry I would say Rowing Machine
is better..which i am using..