Ellenberger/Shields Top 10 Worthy with Win

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Ellenberger/Shields Top 10 Worthy with Win
POLL: Who is in the top 10 after this fight in the division?
Ellenberger 70% (19)
Shields 30% (8)
BeefightStorm
9/17/11 2:52:31PM
This should be a great fight tonight between Ellenberger & Shields. I think Shields needs to bring the same gameplan he used against Dan Henderson & he should be fine. Ellenberger can be seen as similar to Henderson. Both have power in their hands, solid wrestling, & strong. The exception is that Henderson is much bigger than Ellenberger, but Shields handled him easily. With a win for Shields I can see him moving back up the ranks in the Welterweight division, since currently I have him at #6, but a loss & a win for Ellenberger clould see Jake out of the top 10, & Ellenberger sneek in to the top 10.
This fight could have big impacts in the division.
FastKnockout
9/17/11 3:15:29PM
I have Shields already standing at the end of the top ten and a win could push him a few spots, but if Ellenberger can manage an impressive finish then he could make a huge dent in the rankings.

Shields needs to worry about the explosiveness of Ellenberger, whose younger than Henderson, and doesn't have as much stress on his body as Henderson does after growing through so many wars in his career. He can't let Ellenberger hit him like Henderson did, because he just might be able to follow up quicker and end it.
Cdellorso
9/17/11 4:38:32PM
henderson vs sheilds would end differently 8 out 10 times...
warglory
9/17/11 5:00:56PM

Posted by Cdellorso

But it didn't, and Shields took advantage, so it's irrelevant to make comments such as this.
sbulldavid
9/17/11 5:24:07PM
Shields is top 5, but I gotta say he looks to be a much better explosive fighter at 185.
Chael_Sonnen
9/18/11 2:27:03AM
Ellenberger hands down
State_Champ
9/18/11 7:01:42AM
I hope Ellenberger fights the winner of Fitch/Hendricks next.

....more likely he'll fight winner of AJ/Spaniard.

I definitely think Ellenberger is in the top 10 but I also think Shields is in the top ten.

Ellenberger should be rank between 5 and 8.
tn_rebel
9/18/11 9:41:34AM

Posted by sbulldavid

Shields is top 5, but I gotta say he looks to be a much better explosive fighter at 185.

haha what?
DoTheMMAth
9/18/11 10:23:59AM
Both are top 10 now IMO.

I wouldn't take Shields clear off the top 10 after he was a round away (eye poke included, but it is what it is) from winning (not beating) a p4p top 3. Plus look at Shield's last 7 fights before GSP... not all world-beaters, but 7 known opponents that he beat.

Berger's only loss on record since being in the UFC is the fighting for the WW title next, and he hasn't lost since.

The question is, how many of you now put Ellenberger over Shields? Or does Shields recent resume, minus almost poking his way to a title and then getting KO'd after losing his dad, still keep him ahead of Ellenberger?
jae_1833
9/18/11 3:41:24PM
When I update it I will have Ellenberger over shields. If you beat the number one (or whatever #) guy then ibelieve its rightful that you take his spot....plus its not like this was the result of controversial decision or some sort of bs....that was a clear cut tko as Shields was clearly knocked stupid and was in the turtle position just taking shots to the head. I dont update them often but when I do I will have Ellenberger over Shields for sure.
ghandikush
9/18/11 5:36:26PM

Posted by Cdellorso

You obviously couldnt know that. For all we know Hendo's hail marys wouldnt have landed 8 times out of ten.
Pookie
9/18/11 5:45:31PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by Cdellorso

But it didn't, and Shields took advantage, so it's irrelevant to make comments such as this.

Unless you're comparing how Shields deals against big power. In which case, it's totally relevant to Shields fight against Ellenberger.

I think most referee's would have stopped that fight in the first.
KNIGHT
9/19/11 2:45:28AM
Both bottom top ten with Ellenberger right ahead of Shields imo.
Theoutlaw08
9/19/11 1:06:11PM
i think Shields drops to 10 and Ellenberger goes to 9.