EliteXC Responds to $1 Payday

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » EliteXC Responds to $1 Payday
juanez13
2/20/08 10:33:23PM
So we discovered that Moyses Gabin actually made a hot George Washington for beating Jirka Hiavati last Saturday during EliteXC’s “Street Certified”. That seems fair, considering that the main event fighters collected $301,000 - um, collectively. Pro Elite got an e-mail from EliteXC Head of Fighter Operations, Jeremy Lappen, regarding the matter:

“That fight was put together by a local promoter. “Gabin is paid a salary by the promoter who sponsored that bout.”

Outside promoter or not, Gabin got railed with no lube. Maybe he’s into that sort of thing…or maybe he was dying for something from the Wendy’s dollar menu. Either way, he notched a win, so it’s all good…kind of.

LINK
cmill21
2/20/08 10:39:21PM
They should pay him, that looks friggin terrible.
wolfman
2/20/08 10:40:59PM

Posted by cmill21

They should pay him, that looks friggin terrible.

Yeah, it definitely makes the organization look like a bunch of cheap asses. Even though he was getting paid a salary by a promoter it still looks shady.
MALICE
2/20/08 10:51:23PM
If Gabin ever mentions anything about fighting for $1 again, one of his team members needs to smack him upside the head. It's his choice but C'Mon.
babalu2720
2/20/08 10:53:45PM

or maybe he was dying for something from the Wendy’s dollar menu

Gabin was like,"Yes I just made one junior frostee"
Ordep
2/21/08 1:27:25AM

Posted by babalu2720

what about the tax??
Kpro
2/21/08 1:35:51AM
He looks like he didn't even know there was a weigh in.

Pookie
2/21/08 6:26:41AM

Posted by Ordep

Posted by babalu2720

what about the tax??

He won so he should get double. So $2.00, that definitely covers taxes.
whardin19
2/21/08 6:53:43AM
Ha ha! Their blaming it on another promoter. WTH!!!! Either way EliteXC should be paying this guy something. He fought on THEIR card. End of story.
dstlvb
2/21/08 9:36:08AM
If he got paid by the other promoter why even give him the dollar?
Trench777
2/21/08 10:59:44AM
Seriously tho (if you can be serious about a $1 payday)...they really shouldnt have done that. In a business where perception counts for ALOT, this is just an absolutely bonehead thing to do.

Giving a guy a $1 isn't paying him (thank you Cpt. Obvious) it's insulting him, like leaving your waitress a penny. It says "No, I didnt forget...I remembered & what I remember is; you suck"

Its likely something from the bean-counters in thier front office that says "all fighters must get paid". Someone should have used thier head & trumped the bean-counters with the ever-uncommon "common sense". They are trying to gain credibility for thier organization, and this provides a totally unnecissary reason to laugh at them (If you doubt this, I refer you to the previous replies).

Good move, bean-counters. Next time, someone remind them that "policies" are made to protect the corp...if they hurt the corp, they need to be disregarded.

T777
dstlvb
2/21/08 11:34:37AM
Right on point trench. Couple this with the cutting of the fighter in the Antonio Silva fighter thru the web and Gary Shaw looks like the boxing promoter he is.