EliteXC pulls Nick Diaz from DREAM.3 card

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » EliteXC pulls Nick Diaz from DREAM.3 card
CantAndleDaRiddum
5/6/08 8:05:11PM
EliteXC officials have pulled prized lightweight Nick Diaz from his DREAM.3 fight with Katsuya Inoue, which was set to take place on Saturday, May 11, at the Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan.

News of the fight cancellation appeared on GracieFighter.com, the website of Diaz's home at Cesar Gracie Jiu-Jitsu.

According to the bulletin, EliteXC officials were concerned that the May 11 fight could prohibit Diaz from being healthy enough to fight Muhsin Corbbrey at a June 14 EliteXC event in Hawaii. http://mmajunkie.com/news/4286/elitexc-pulls-nick-diaz-from-dream-3-card.mma
CantAndleDaRiddum
5/6/08 8:06:15PM
i think i speak on behalf of most of us when i say ****!
prozacnation1978
5/6/08 8:23:53PM
that is bull, they pulled him cause the shields fight was postponed again, and if they lose the diaz fight too, they would be screwed again like they were in march
Kracker_Jap
5/6/08 8:40:49PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

that is bull, they pulled him cause the shields fight was postponed again, and if they lose the diaz fight too, they would be screwed again like they were in march

Not really bull, just a smart business move on their behalf.....

I am disapointed about Diaz not fighting... even if it was a can
three_days_of_grey
5/6/08 8:50:29PM
BOOooo!! To Hell with Dana White and the UFC for having exclusivity clauses in his fighter's contracts. Fighters should be allowed to fight anyone, anwhere, anytime regardless of promotion or contractual obligation. I mean, promoters dont spend any money actually promoting fights or securing venues so who cares if a fighter can't compete due to an injury received while he's making money for someone else? I would gladly watch Cantrell tap out from getting punched in the shoulder again and again instead of a good fight due to prior injury. It's not as if this is a full-contact sport anyway, so the odds of getting hurt are miniscule at best.

-OUT-

For those of you not aware.. that was sarcasm. Thought I made it obvious with the whole "not a full contact sport anyway" remark.
tberg420
5/6/08 8:54:07PM
This is the problem when you allow fighters to fight outside of an exclusive contract. People are always promoted and people buy the tickets and then when it comes down to it, the person can't fight. It really has nothing to do with the UFC having exclusive contracts and such. I completely disagree with the post before mine because these companies spend tons of money promoting these fighters and if they were to fight for another company and lose then you've lost all that money in promotion. Exclusive contracts are the safe and smart way to go and before long, you will see Elite XC go to those as well.
Mchubb316
5/6/08 9:08:01PM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Posted by prozacnation1978

Not really bull, just a smart business move on their behalf.....

I am disapointed about Diaz not fighting... even if it was a can

Yeah I don't know why they even thought about letting him fight in another org. so close to one of their own events that he is scheduled to fight on.
coldchillin
5/6/08 11:21:14PM
Smart business move by Shaw and the EliteXC... when I saw the fight announced, I thought the fight was too close to his Elite fight.
JimiMak
5/7/08 1:25:38AM
Can't blame Shaw for this one. Not a popular move, but prob'ly a necessary one.
Broknmunky
5/7/08 9:15:34AM
Hate the fight's not happenin but business is business!
hdnet_mma
5/7/08 1:13:36PM
still going to be a great event on HDNet May 11th
whardin19
5/7/08 3:35:03PM
I have to say as much as I don't like Gary Shaw. He made the right move for his company right there. You can't let one of your biggest draws fight a month before he fights in your company. A really bad cut in his fight and he won't be able to fight at your show.