EliteXC: PRIMETIME-5/31 in New Jersey on CBS

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » EliteXC: PRIMETIME-5/31 in New Jersey on CBS
DCRage
3/24/08 7:19:08AM
EliteXC: May 31 on CBS
Venue: Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey
Main card airs live on CBS in US, live on The Fight Network in Canada
TV fights (will air on CBS/Fight Network):
vs.
Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson vs. James Thompson

vs.
Robbie Lawler vs. Scott Smith for the EliteXC Middleweight Title

vs.
Phil Baroni vs. Joey Villasenor (Baroni's original opponent, Murilo Rua, is off)

vs.
Gina Carano vs. Kaitlin Young

vs.
Jon Murphy vs. Brett Rogers

Prelims (will air live on ProElite.com, free with required registration, also free; May also air on CBSsports.com):
vs.
Nick Serra vs. Matt Makowski

vs.
Carlton Haselrig vs. Jarrod Bunch

vs.
Wilson Reis vs. Justin Robbins

vs.
Chris Liguori vs. Jim Bova

vs.
James Jones vs. Calvin Kattar

Unairing prelims (will not air on TV or online):
vs.
Zach Makovsky vs. Andres (Andre) Soares

vs.
Mike Groves vs. Joe Sampieri

One very peculiar thing I can't help but notice about the timing of this event-it's currently scheduled the night before WEC 34 (June 1).
pv3Hpv3p
3/24/08 9:28:10AM
I really hope Lawler can stay healthy for an extended period of time... There are a lot of really great matchups for him in EliteXC/Icon... And the injury bug keeps biting him in the ass... IMO he manhandles Smith...

Who do ya'all think Kimbo'll fight next? Haven't really heard any rumors... Anyone think it could be JT?
grappler0000
3/24/08 10:03:58AM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Who do ya'all think Kimbo'll fight next? Haven't really heard any rumors... Anyone think it could be JT?

Rumor is Warpath.
tberg420
3/24/08 10:30:02AM
I agree that if Lawler is healthy then he wins against Smith. I also think that it's stupid how Shaw will talk smack about Dana White then sign a castoff from the UFC and instantly give him a title shot because of his name recognition. Smith lost his last three fights inside the Octagon. I realize that you want an exciting fight and all but certainly there is someone more deserving of this title shot.
wolfman
3/24/08 10:36:57AM

Posted by tberg420

I agree that if Lawler is healthy then he wins against Smith. I also think that it's stupid how Shaw will talk smack about Dana White then sign a castoff from the UFC and instantly give him a title shot because of his name recognition. Smith lost his last three fights inside the Octagon. I realize that you want an exciting fight and all but certainly there is someone more deserving of this title shot.

Actually, Lawler was stripped of his belt due to his inactivity (injuries). Therefore, Smith isn't getting an instant title shot. I see your point though. However, if he does beat Lawler it will put him next in line to face Hose, who is the interim champ I believe.
tberg420
3/24/08 10:50:04AM
I thought that Hose got the ICON belt? Then again, they unified the titles, so who the hell knows.
cowcatcher
3/24/08 12:27:40PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Rumor is Warpath.

warpath would be a bit disappointing to me. i know hes been around the block and has gone against some good fighters, but id like to see a bit more of a step up in competition for kimbo. i know gary shaw wants to bring him along slowly and build him up, but hes not a youngster, and 4-5 pro fights in a year willl take its toll so i think at some point soon they need to make a move to get him fights against guys that arent average(maybe) to below average HWs.
Daddyprimetime
3/24/08 12:47:51PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I really hope Lawler can stay healthy for an extended period of time... There are a lot of really great matchups for him in EliteXC/Icon... And the injury bug keeps biting him in the ass... IMO he manhandles Smith...

I agree Lawler please stay healthy for awhile. And yes he can handle Smith....in fact he will probably destroy him.
wolfman
3/24/08 1:46:44PM

Posted by tberg420

I thought that Hose got the ICON belt? Then again, they unified the titles, so who the hell knows.

Yeah, you are right. It is a confusing situation, as he did have the ICON belt. Regardless, Smith still isn't getting an instant title shot.
DCRage
3/26/08 5:10:08PM
2 more matches added to the card: Phil Baroni will fight Murilo Rua, and (at long last) Gina Carano returns! Crush will fight Kaitlin Young.
DCRage
4/16/08 12:19:11PM
CBS just put out a press release confirming that 5 fights will air on the TV portion of the broadcast:
Kimbo Slice vs. James Thompson

Robbie Lawler vs. Scott Smith for the EliteXC Middleweight Title

Gina Carano vs. Kaitlin Young (fight at 140)

Phil Baroni vs. Murilo Rua

Brett Rogers vs. Jon Murphy

Thumbs up just for a title fight on free TV. Also...
New Gina Carano Interview
DCRage
4/21/08 4:10:43PM
Another CBS press release, this one officially confirms Villasenor replacing Ninja.

Press Release
Kpro
4/21/08 5:03:40PM
WAR JT!
rabbit915
4/21/08 7:45:34PM
I bet they give the winner of Murphy/Rodgers to Kimbo if he wins (and i have a feeling he will because otherwise EliteXC wouldnt give him this fight). Otherwise i think they would have picked a more interesting fight for their first primetime show.
pv3Hpv3p
4/22/08 9:33:38AM

Posted by wolfman

Posted by tberg420

Actually, Lawler was stripped of his belt due to his inactivity (injuries). Therefore, Smith isn't getting an instant title shot. I see your point though. However, if he does beat Lawler it will put him next in line to face Hose, who is the interim champ I believe.

Lawler was stripped of the ICON belt, but still has the EliteXC belt he won when he defeated Ninja...
hippysmacker
4/26/08 9:39:02PM
The Kimbo /JT fight reminds me of Franklin /Quarry. It's a fight they can sell, but I don't give Thompson much chance.
DCRage
4/28/08 2:05:46PM
Now that Nick Serra (Matt's brother) has been added to the card, that definitely has me planning to watch his prelim fight online before the show (the prelims will air FREE on ProElite.com) just to see how he fights compared to Matt. Obviously he trains wish his brother and, not surprisingly, all 4 of his career wins have come by submission. He's never tapped either, his 2 losses are by decision.
prozacnation1978
5/1/08 1:19:00AM
i am glad the fights will be live, some good fights, i hope their is little if any commercial breaks. i wanna see kimbo lose, james is up and down, he hits but he also has a weak chin. one will fall, but he he comes swinging like he did against the predator frye he might catch kimbo. honestly i see all the boys fighting on the card knocking someone out in each fight,
GraMMA
5/5/08 10:32:14PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

i am glad the fights will be live, some good fights, i hope their is little if any commercial breaks. i wanna see kimbo lose, james is up and down, he hits but he also has a weak chin. one will fall, but he he comes swinging like he did against the predator frye he might catch kimbo. honestly i see all the boys fighting on the card knocking someone out in each fight,

Exactly,all these fights are matched well to be ko's and it should be a good night for fisticuffs.JT will need to land something quick if he's to have any chance,I see Kimbo getting the ko rd1.His boxing will prove too much as it did against Tank.
Kastro
5/7/08 6:34:00PM
Man im almost looking forward to this card as much as UFC 84... looking SICK!
Franklinfan47
5/12/08 5:03:26PM
I think Kimbo's gonna get his ass kicked in this fight. Its the first time he's fought anyone with actual credible striking and I think its gonna show.

I think Smiths gonna be going to sleep to in what should be an all out slugfest. Who knows though, he always has the punchers chance of catching Lawler. Either way, its going to be awesome.

Poor Phil Baroni. Gonna get tko'd again imo.
candynuts
5/12/08 9:02:57PM
Man I am so excited with this card not just for the fights, but to see how much buzz it will get from viewers since the card is shown on CBS. The matchups looks like there will be some good KO victories that will spark a bigger interest in the sport.

Oh, and WAR JT!!!
DCRage
5/30/08 2:19:58PM
Weigh-ins are going on right now, they don't look to be online but Junkie is putting up the results (will udpate):
Kimbo Slice (235.5) vs. James Thompson (257)
Robbie Lawler (184.5) vs. Scott Smith (184.5)
Gina Carano (144.5) vs. Kaitlin Young (140.5)
Jon Murphy (260.5) vs. Brett Rogers (263.5)
Phil Baroni (185) vs. Joey Villasenor (184.5)

Prelims (ProElite.com, may also air on CBSsports.com):
Carlton Haselrig (263) vs. Carlos Moreno (261)
Jim Bova (160.5) vs. Chris Liguori (161)
Matt Makowski (171) vs. Nick Serra (167)
Wilson Reis (140.5) vs. Justin Robbins (140.5)
James "Binky" Jones (154.5) vs. Calvin Kattar (155.5)

Unaired Prelims (will not air on TV or online):
Zach Makovsky (135) vs. Andre Soares (134)
Mike Groves (154) vs. Joe Sampieri (155)

Gina badly missed weight and will lose an estimated 12-12.5% of her purse for not making weight. What she loses goes to Young.
JustSwim
5/30/08 11:38:06PM

Posted by DCRage

2 more matches added to the card: Phil Baroni will fight Murilo Rua, and (at long last) Gina Carano returns! Crush will fight Kaitlin Young.

I CANT WAIT!!!! Although she weighed in at 145..I think she'll still win. I wish I had tickets to see her kick ass! I'm only 25 min away from the Prudential Center in Newark
The_Ho_Bag
5/30/08 11:39:39PM
WAR JT

DCRage
5/31/08 7:38:46AM

Posted by JustSwim

Posted by DCRage

I CANT WAIT!!!! Although she weighed in at 145..I think she'll still win. I wish I had tickets to see her kick ass! I'm only 25 min away from the Prudential Center in Newark

You should still go, there almost certainly will be tickets available. The other day Gary said only about 7,000 tickets had been sold, and I think that arena holds around 15,000. At least for basketball and hockey.
D0wnUnd6e6r
5/31/08 9:16:19AM

Posted by DCRage

Now that Nick Serra (Matt's brother) has been added to the card, that definitely has me planning to watch his prelim fight online before the show (the prelims will air FREE on ProElite.com) just to see how he fights compared to Matt. Obviously he trains wish his brother and, not surprisingly, all 4 of his career wins have come by submission. He's never tapped either, his 2 losses are by decision.

I got makowski in an upset
The_Ho_Bag
5/31/08 3:09:30PM
lmao carano didnt make weight xD (props to JJfreak for tellin me)
holt8081
5/31/08 4:51:44PM
all should be great to watch .