Elitexc was very overrated

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Elitexc was very overrated
ricoj3323
11/12/07 3:15:15AM
does anyone agree with me that the elitexc event on this past weekend was very overrated, i feel kimbo needs a real opponent because from what i heard cantrell was sick in the locker room and wasn't even in the fight when u got to the arena, i thought kimbo's debut was ok and the whole event was overrated

give me ur opinions
cmill21
11/12/07 3:53:20AM
I enjoyed it quite a bit. I thought all the fights were good outside of the kimbo/bo fight. Noke, Noons, and Bigfoot all impressed me, and Shields always has so I thought it was a good event all around. Hopefully it will push the UFC to have a big name in every fight on their main cards.
Throwdown
11/12/07 9:41:52AM
Unfortunately I didn't see the card... (but lost basically all of my secondary league money on bets that night).

Just from reading some of the summaries tho, pretty disappointed that Nick Diaz acted the way he did. I hear he showed no class and couldn't even congratulate his opponent. I kinda think that's pretty trashy of him... Good fighter, but absolutely no class.
fullerene
11/12/07 10:01:29AM
I don't understand what you mean by overrated. Who was saying what about it?

The shows are probably the 2nd or 3rd best American shows with their competition for that distinction being with the IFL. The fighter quality and atmosphere don't compete with the UFC or Pride but I can't imagine anyone expecting that to be the case.
tuvok500
11/12/07 11:15:38AM
It was a good show !!

of course , if someone was believing that Kimbo was going to be a great star like some top UFC fighter and they were watching this event to see the best of the best, well, i will understand your desapointement !!

also, if you believe that Nick diaz is still a top 5 guy who can beat anybody in the ufc, well, you are dreamming !!

the show was what it was suppose to be , a great show with a majority of level B fighters but with good prospect like Antonio Silva for an example who i believe can become a top fighter in the UFC very fast !!

pv3Hpv3p
11/12/07 11:35:25AM
I thought it was good... Good fights... I was hoping the Pyle / Shields fight would have been a little more competitive... And was dissappointed in Diaz's outing, although KJ looked really really good... In all it was a good night of fights... Antonio Silva looks awesome, and I'd like to see a fight between him and Kimbo in the future... Anyone else surprised that Silva made 265? Could be a force at HW...
Darnok
11/12/07 12:54:03PM
I thought the show was not bad, but I didn't have any high expectations either.

As for Diaz, I can understand why he was pissed. He wasn't even bleeding very bad. There was some new doc that probably hasn't even seen a MMA fight before thinking he knew everything. Diaz was fine to continue. I think Diaz still would have lost but at least let them decide not the newbie doc.
rcg916
11/12/07 1:23:37PM
I hate to go the way of Sherdog, but I would kill for some smart ass to pop in and call "search function".....

Is this really how bad its getting? I just counted 14 threads with similar, if not exactly the same content.

I know its fun to start threads, but give us a break. Out of hand, I tell you!
MMAnomale
11/12/07 2:15:31PM
I was severly dissapointed. I bought the Showtime package off DirecTV just for this. I don't think the Diaz fight should have been stopped yet, and I don't think the UFC would've stopped it that soon. I can understand the other dude's cut, but come on. Also, it should've been three hours long so that we could have seen a couple more of the fights.
fullerene
11/12/07 2:57:25PM

Posted by MMAnomale

I was severly dissapointed. I bought the Showtime package off DirecTV just for this. I don't think the Diaz fight should have been stopped yet, and I don't think the UFC would've stopped it that soon. I can understand the other dude's cut, but come on. Also, it should've been three hours long so that we could have seen a couple more of the fights.

The UFC and EliteXC don't stop the fights. The referees and doctors who can do that are approved by the state athletic commissions. Same with the judges.

Showtimes' policy of just showing the top of the card is a carry-over from boxing. Showtime has broadcast boxing for years and never shows more than 2-3 fights. I was actually surprised that they showed about half the card on Saturday.
hippysmacker
11/12/07 6:01:52PM

Posted by ricoj3323

does anyone agree with me that the elitexc event on this past weekend was very overrated, i feel kimbo needs a real opponent because from what i heard cantrell was sick in the locker room and wasn't even in the fight when u got to the arena, i thought kimbo's debut was ok and the whole event was overrated

give me ur opinions

I agree. There were very few high level fighters on it, and most of the fights appeared to be mismatches.
jdubs
11/12/07 6:35:43PM
yea it was like a ufc card, it sucked... not the card but the way the fights and all played out... and those nasty fat ass strippers... maybe it is just me but those girls wernt attractive at all
Scott_Revels
11/12/07 6:40:53PM
I give it a B+, just because of the Noke/Kleinbeck fight, the Shields/Pyle fight, and the Diaz/Noons fight.. I don't care what happened before/after the fights were over.. I can overlook the Kimbo fight, and it would actually be a pretty decent night.. For someone who is constantly bored by the mundane, and stupid, this event was pretty entertaining.. Even Silva impressed me, and I thought he was UFC punching bag material before the fight.. So no matter what others say, it was a f*cken awesome night to me..
fullerene
11/13/07 8:36:56AM

Posted by hippysmacker
I agree. There were very few high level fighters on it, and most of the fights appeared to be mismatches.

How much of your criticism is based on the heavily hyped Kimbo fight?

Do you think there are a lot of higher quality fighters that aren't under a UFC contract that are available?
adamsb
11/13/07 8:56:31AM
i dont see how a card that was shown free on showtime is overrated i liked the card to be honest
hippysmacker
11/13/07 11:41:09PM

Posted by fullerene

Posted by hippysmacker

How much of your criticism is based on the heavily hyped Kimbo fight?

Do you think there are a lot of higher quality fighters that aren't under a UFC contract that are available?

I liked it when Elite, Srtikeforce, ROTR, KOTC, Icon,K-1 etc. all were together. I don't remember why they aren't anymore, but I think the overall quality is like a UFC fight night , now that over half of those args. are gone. Sure it's good if it's free, but if these guys are planning to challenge the UFC ,they are going to have to heavily overpay IMO. That's how all new leagues get legitimacy( AFL getting Namath,ABA getting Dr. J for example ) . Either they become big enough to merge( cross promote in this case) , or truly become a threat to their bigger rival. If they really had signed (Fedor, Kang, Sokoudjou,Gomi,Kawajiri, and Barnett for example) as they were rumored to be in negotiations with all, have some legitimate guys they could claim were the best in the world in a weight class.I think any near top guy the UFC doesn't snap up quickly , they should go after with a big offer, if they truly want to challenge them Shields is the only guy I could even consider for top 5 right now. Silva has the talent to make it think, but unless he has some legitimate challengers to fight, he will be unproven. Lawler, and maybe Diaz , I would probably put near the bottom of the top 10 in their respective weight classes. They need guys that can draw, even if it's a past his prime Frank, and guys that people might actually start thinking they could make an argument for best in the world. Now we don't know all the ins and outs of their dealings, and this is speculation, but you would think they could have landed at least one of them. Heck, Okami just left the UFC, and we have no idea if they even knew it was happening.How much of the inside of MMA is Gary Shaw really in the know on? I don't know , but his failure to land at least one of these guys makes me doubt it. It's my guess if anyone challenges the UFC ,it will be M-1, and it will be at least 2 years before they would actually be taking enough of the UFC's market share to be a danger. If you took all he combined orgs that were previously in an alliance than I think you have a card you could actually sell on PPV.

You could have
Overeem vs Buentello
Silva vs Choi
F. Shamrock vs Lawler
Renzo vs Verrisimo
manhoef vs Cung Lee
Prangley vs Villasenor
Sheilds vs Trigg
Mayhem vs Ninja
Melendez vs Gomi
Thompson vs Diaz( at 160)
Riggs vs Fakuda
and thats just off the top of my head. I would buy that for $40.

Anyway I guess I was expecting more gor my Showimw subscription.
Lay_N_Pray
11/14/07 5:50:48PM
Low-class, unprofessional presentation.

Some world-class athletes however, and that saved the show a little.

I still think something wierd was going on with that Kimbo fight but it doesnt really matter. Thrown or not, niether one will ever be champion or anything
DutchRebelP
11/24/07 9:03:08AM
wow every post you on ufc dick, while thats the crappiest shit outta there right. I rather see a 10 seconds Kimbo fight then allthose unknown ufc wankers. Thje only good fighters in Ufc right are yes there you have it Pride fighters (rampage, hendo, a. silva) and you americans think the UFC is the only things that matters, but it doesnt and im really reaally happy the best fighters (yes there still ouyt there) didnt sign witrh that shitty ufc. And without all those othere (smaller) organization their wouldtn be a ****** ufc anymore