EliteXC on CBS What have we learned?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » EliteXC on CBS What have we learned?
J_wieting_9
6/1/08 8:32:12PM
1. Kimbo doesn't hit half as hard as we thought he did he got lucky that EliteXC won't allow him to lose, and stopped for cauliflower ear,Frankie Edgar has had his ear break in half in the past and the doctors allowed it to continue.
2. Kimbo can't do any thing that resembles wrestling, those shots by Thompson were sloppy as hell.
3. Kimbo's BJJ is weak as best he gave up guard way to easy, there were times when JT was in side control that Kimbo could have regaurded, or slipped out he chose not to instead opting to apparently get pounded, by that well unknown ground wizard The Colossus.
4. Thompson is not quite ready for Abu Dabi just yet.
5.James really needs to learn to shoot the opposite to prevent that alien lie he calls an ear from getting worse,and get that SOB drained.
6. Scott smith knows better to say he can't see but when a fighter acts like that it mens he wants to continue.
7.Smith vs. Lawler was on the fast rack to the best fight i have ever seen, but the stoppage ruined it.
8. Scot Smith and Gina have chins are constructed of friggen cast iron.
9. Gina quit being a gladiator and start being a fighter again.
10. Phil Baroni though charismatic and capable of possibly punching though a person skull, is woefully overrated and his wrestling looked pretty terrible.
11. Smokin' Joe though he looked good will lose to Lawler or Smith. Both of those two men are superior wrestlers with chins he won't be able to dent. Sorry Joe
12.Kimbo better never fight a good wrestler
13. John Murphey lost the nick raffle Man of Faith doesn't scream fighter and its an obvious and general name it would be like Joe "The White Guy" Jackson.
14. Bret Rodgers hits harder then anyone ever so hard its disgusting he would literally eat Kimbo, if there justice in the world people talk about him not Kimbo.
15.Bret Rodger gave the best pre-fight quote in history.
Under card notes
16 For shame on Gary Shaw for his treat of Jim Bova and Chris Liguori, not broadcasting a scheduled fight that I understand was rather good.
17 Ad Carlton Haselrig to the list of amazing wreslters in MMA (he would also beat Kimbo) too bad he can't do much else yet, and he's 42.
18.For a 6-6 recored Binky Jones looked dam good.
19. Wilson Heis is meant for big big things as is Mat Matowski.
20.Justin Robbins must be made out some kind of rubber cause the thing looked snapped but he got out the armbar and got into Hies' guard thats is what heart is.
holt8081
6/1/08 9:08:28PM

Posted by J_wieting_9

1. Kimbo doesn't hit half as hard as we thought he did he got lucky that EliteXC won't allow him to lose, and stopped for cauliflower ear,Frankie Edgar has had his ear break in half in the past and the doctors allowed it to continue.
2. Kimbo can't do any thing that resembles wrestling, those shots by Thompson were sloppy as hell.
3. Kimbo's BJJ is weak as best he gave up guard way to easy, there were times when JT was in side control that Kimbo could have regaurded, or slipped out he chose not to instead opting to apparently get pounded, by that well unknown ground wizard The Colossus.
4. Thompson is not quite ready for Abu Dabi just yet.
5.James really needs to learn to shoot the opposite to prevent that alien lie he calls an ear from getting worse,and get that SOB drained.
6. Scott smith knows better to say he can't see but when a fighter acts like that it mens he wants to continue.
7.Smith vs. Lawler was on the fast rack to the best fight i have ever seen, but the stoppage ruined it.
8. Scot Smith and Gina have chins are constructed of friggen cast iron.
9. Gina quit being a gladiator and start being a fighter again.
10. Phil Baroni though charismatic and capable of possibly punching though a person skull, is woefully overrated and his wrestling looked pretty terrible.
11. Smokin' Joe though he looked good will lose to Lawler or Smith. Both of those two men are superior wrestlers with chins he won't be able to dent. Sorry Joe
12.Kimbo better never fight a good wrestler
13. John Murphey lost the nick raffle Man of Faith doesn't scream fighter and its an obvious and general name it would be like Joe "The White Guy" Jackson.
14. Bret Rodgers hits harder then anyone ever so hard its disgusting he would literally eat Kimbo, if there justice in the world people talk about him not Kimbo.
15.Bret Rodger gave the best pre-fight quote in history.
Under card notes
16 For shame on Gary Shaw for his treat of Jim Bova and Chris Liguori, not broadcasting a scheduled fight that I understand was rather good.
17 Ad Carlton Haselrig to the list of amazing wreslters in MMA (he would also beat Kimbo) too bad he can't do much else yet, and he's 42.
18.For a 6-6 recored Binky Jones looked dam good.
19. Wilson Heis is meant for big big things as is Mat Matowski.
20.Justin Robbins must be made out some kind of rubber cause the thing looked snapped but he got out the armbar and got into Hies' guard thats is what heart is.

Very well said
FrankTheTank1181
6/1/08 10:54:52PM
You make some good points. However, with Kimbo you have to realize he has had what 3 MMA fights? I think all the time on the ground helped Kimbo, if I remember right didn't he sweep JT once? Also, Wilson Reis looked lke a stud.
keith-hackney1
6/2/08 8:07:36AM
elite xc cards are almost as bad as cage rage, stick to the UFC guys, elite xc is a family run event, full of has been fighters that do not have the gas tanks to fight longer than two rounds, just like cage rage. There is no way i would ever buy a ppv for elite xc. what aload of crap.
theguido
6/2/08 10:20:46AM
Agreeed another thing I learned is how trashy Shaw makes the sport look. For some reason it really bothered me that after every fight you could hear him telling the fighters exactly what to say. oh yeah Pretty sure the Smith vs Lawler fight is going to be XC's next stepping stone, that fight got alot of people intrested in my oppinion.
J_wieting_9
6/2/08 11:00:24AM

Posted by theguido

Agreeed another thing I learned is how trashy Shaw makes the sport look. For some reason it really bothered me that after every fight you could hear him telling the fighters exactly what to say. oh yeah Pretty sure the Smith vs Lawler fight is going to be XC's next stepping stone, that fight got alot of people intrested in my oppinion.

I'd fully agree fully agree with there was a legit conclusion to that fight.
J_wieting_9
6/2/08 11:11:00AM

Posted by FrankTheTank1181

You make some good points. However, with Kimbo you have to realize he has had what 3 MMA fights? I think all the time on the ground helped Kimbo, if I remember right didn't he sweep JT once? Also, Wilson Reis looked lke a stud.

Dude,I've training for like 6 months, Kimbo's be at for like 2 years I know better than to let a guy slide though a guard that easily and if they are giving that amount of space in side control re-guard or GTFO of there. That sweep was 2 day BJJ, but despite mostly powering it he didn't get reswept of it which easy ot do for that sweep cuase of the momentum, He alsopassed up quite of a few submissions in guard, JT was asking to armbared. If Kimbo ever submitts anyone I'll write a new thread calling him a legit fighter, till then he is a freakshow.
Hells Yes Reis looked like a stud give 2-3 years maybe less and he'll kill Faber
mrkennedy
6/2/08 11:27:25AM
i will love to see WEC on CBS
Ben_Hutch
6/2/08 7:09:24PM
I've learnt not to trust Gary Shaw, and i've also now learnt that i strongly disslike Gary Shaw.
Naturaldisaster
6/2/08 7:32:58PM
I've learned not to piss of Brett Rogers because he will kill you, or he could possible have Rob & Big make you laugh to death
J_wieting_9
6/2/08 9:44:54PM
I think we all learned Brett Rodgers has the best corner ever Big Black and Bam Bam.
bigbubbano23
6/2/08 10:47:04PM
we have learned that entertainment comes first in elite xc and quality fights come every now and then.
89vision
6/2/08 10:59:31PM
-EliteXC was the wrong company to represent MMA on primetime TV

-You can fix fights without really fixing them with favortism

-Female fights can steal the show (even without controversy) thats right i'm talking to you sexists out there bashing female fighting

-Maybe the U.S. is not ready for MMA on mainstream TV

Not to say that they didnt do a good job cause the 1st 3 fights on the main card looked like the 2 main events would be even better. However the last 2 fights of the night ended in some of the most controversial decisions by doctors and refs in the history of MMA, is this because they want to shield newcomers to mma from too much blood and violence like in the women's fight? was it to be safe and not let an eye poke go on like in the lawler fight? or was it a mixture of the 2 like in the Kimbo fight where not only did James' ear pop he was about to be KO'd regardless of Dan's controversial decision to stop it while James was still standing? However you saw MMA's 1st mainstream presentation I have a feeling that fans were gained regardless and fans were lost and even more "human cockfighting" arguments will be risen, whether you like it or not Kimbo is selling seats and gaining status through his popularity. I say we embrace this, sure hes probably not on the level to compete with the big names and sure his run is probably gonna hit some hard times soon enough but its hard to hate Kimbo for whats happening around him, the guy is extremely humble and I'm sure he cant be totally impressed with his performance almost getting finished in the crucifix position. I myself am not sold on him after seeing this fight as are many fans of his or haters, if you dont like Kimbo then you can take comfort in the fact that he has clear weaknesses and his standup is still suspect which he seems to be so well known for.
89vision
6/2/08 11:01:03PM

Posted by J_wieting_9

Hells Yes Reis looked like a stud give 2-3 years maybe less and he'll kill Faber

X2
J_wieting_9
6/3/08 10:28:00AM
Granted Faber looked like a stud and half against Pulver, but Heis is still young and crazy good.
MrGreeny
6/5/08 6:21:11AM

Posted by Ben_Hutch

I've learnt not to trust Gary Shaw, and i've also now learnt that i strongly disslike Gary Shaw.

I learnt that Gary Shaw was also quite stupid.
Here is a video i cut with him giving instructions to Joe what to say if he is asked about the title ON AIR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv1neAuoWnY
The-Don
6/11/08 6:11:42PM
well on behalf on Elite XC.. they really cannot control what goes on once the bell sounds... granted they can go for better match ups... they could control all the other crap that went on around the fights...
Kracker_Jap
6/11/08 11:46:16PM
I learned hot chicks dancing on the stage only piss my wife off more....

Get rid of the hoes