My EliteXC On CBS Experience

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » My EliteXC On CBS Experience
CantAndleDaRiddum
6/1/08 1:51:55PM
My girlfriend is a bartender @ a small bar in m hometown that can hold about 75-100 people.

Since she was scheduled to work last night, May 31st, i had been planning to watch the CBS fights up there all month since they were free (the bar is too small to order the ppvs & make $ so i never see fights there).

we put the fights on both tvs in the bar & turned the audio on the main speakers so everyone could hear everything.........this way we could tell by customer's reactions to the fights & see if they were interested since most people in my hometown dont watch ANY mma.

when they announced the Carano fight, the bar had about 30 people, & damn near everyone was screaming watching Carano tear Young's face apart

To shorten my story, by the time Kimbo was walking to the cage, the bar was packed w/ more than 1/2 the people there jsut to see the fights.......& im from a small hik town in MS so i was quite surprised to hear SO many people pulling for Kimbo considering how racist most people in my town are (i'm from Mississippi)

i learned a few things last night:
1. The drawing power of mma, even in a small town in a small bar, is very very BIG.
2. Most new fans are still ignorant-(i heard one guy say Chuck Liddell had 1 loss on his record & he had beaten everyone he had fought, i heard a guy say he wished they could throw elbows AS Smith & lawler were throwing them back & forth, & i saw a guy claim Kimbo was Mike Tyson's brother)
3. Most of the new fans last night HATED the intros, long WWE-style walkouts, & hated the stoppages.

Last night was a ground-breaking night for MMA, but as BIG as it was, i believe the next primetime mma event could be more important than the 1st one, bc of so many unanswered questions w/ Kimbo, Smith/lawler, etc. & it could very well decide mma's place on primetime tv.

wolfman
6/1/08 2:05:37PM
Good to read and thanks for sharing. I was curious to what the public thought. LOL at the guy who wished they could throw elbows....
gartface
6/1/08 2:31:04PM
yeah, good stuff Cant. I wonder when the next event will be, at least on primetime?
bigbubbano23
6/1/08 2:34:51PM
i guess from what i read most general mma fans liked it and most of the mma addicts like myself disliked it. i think the reason for this is elite xc format i believe is a entertainment first industry and not a serious mma organization. for example having busta rymes open for an entrance. that's about as unprofessional as you get. ufc for example lets the fighter walk to the cage and fight without pyrotechnics.
jiujitsufreak74
6/1/08 3:11:28PM
to me this event was a joke. like you mentioned, the ridiculously long entrances, the pyrotechnics and the whole circus show feeling it gave off was pathetic. i think you described it perfectly when comparing it to a WWE event. i died a little inside when Bust Rhymes came out...this is a night of fights not a night of spectacle. there was too much time in between fights that it was easy for a new fan to lose interest quite quickly...especially since the first couple of fights ended within the 1st round. they made this into a circus act that, imo, was a disgrace to MMA. i hatre Gary Shaw so much, i think he is a cancer. and don't get me started on the stoppages, that was so hurtful to MMA. how is anyone supposed to get interested if the fights are stopped before anyone was out. they were way too precautions and the Lawler/Smith fight had the potential to really draw some fans...but they stopped it short.

and Elite XC fans suck. i wish every event in MMA was held in Japan because these fans that are attracted to the "ghetto" atmosphere that Shaw appeals to are some of the most uneducated, impatient fans i have ever seen. they started to Boo if the fighters didn't engage for like 5 sec. it was pathetic.

i give this event a 3 out of 10 and i think it failed on an epic level.
iwannabesedated
6/1/08 3:19:21PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

to me this event was a joke. like you mentioned, the ridiculously long entrances, the pyrotechnics and the whole circus show feeling it gave off was pathetic. i think you described it perfectly when comparing it to a WWE event. i died a little inside when Bust Rhymes came out...this is a night of fights not a night of spectacle. there was too much time in between fights that it was easy for a new fan to lose interest quite quickly...especially since the first couple of fights ended within the 1st round. they made this into a circus act that, imo, was a disgrace to MMA. i hatre Gary Shaw so much, i think he is a cancer. and don't get me started on the stoppages, that was so hurtful to MMA. how is anyone supposed to get interested if the fights are stopped before anyone was out. they were way too precautions and the Lawler/Smith fight had the potential to really draw some fans...but they stopped it short.

and Elite XC fans suck. i wish every event in MMA was held in Japan because these fans that are attracted to the "ghetto" atmosphere that Shaw appeals to are some of the most uneducated, impatient fans i have ever seen. they started to Boo if the fighters didn't engage for like 5 sec. it was pathetic.

i give this event a 3 out of 10 and i think it failed on an epic level.

chubbud22
6/1/08 3:26:54PM
I was also comparing all of the enterances with WWE during the fight fights, and right off the bat you have Big Black and Bam Bam coming out with Rodgers yelling "do work son". Dont get me wrong I love the show Rob and Big, but come on, and that hole thing with Busta was a bit too much. On another note IMO Gina Carrano made girls in MMA look bad with that post fight interview. She sounded like she had no idea what she was talking about. "I had her in that go go palata thing I think thats what it was called hehe that was fun" How are MMA fans gonna take stuff like that seriosly.