EliteXC - Were They The Right MMA Org. For Mainstream TV?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » EliteXC - Were They The Right MMA Org. For Mainstream TV?
POLL: was EliteXC the best company to represent primetime?
Yes, they did fine/good 6% (2)
Yes, but the UFC couldve done better 14% (5)
No, they did bad 28% (10)
No, but overall they did fine/good 14% (5)
Show #2 and 3 will show us 8% (3)
...EliteWWE 31% (11)
89vision
6/1/08 6:18:33AM
Not to say that they didnt do a good job because for the most part they did, the 1st 3 fights on the main card looked like the 2 main events would be even better. However the last 2 fights of the night ended in some of the most controversial decisions by doctors and refs, is this because of shielding the newcomers to mma to too much blood and violence like in the women's fight? was it to be safe and not let an eye poke go on like in the lawler fight? or was it a mixture of the 2 like in the Kimbo fight where not only did James' ear pop he was about to be KO'd regardless of Dan's controversial decision to stop it while James was still standing? However you saw MMA's 1st mainstream presentation I have a feeling that fans were gained regardless, whether you like it or not Kimbo is selling seats and gaining status through his popularity. I say we embrace this, sure hes probably not on the level to compete with the big boys and sure his run is probably gonna hit some hard times but its hard to hate Kimbo for whats happening around him, the guy is extremely humble and I'm sure he cant be totally impressed with his performance almost getting finished in the crucifix position. I myself am not sold on him after seeing this fight, if you dont like Kimbo them you can take comfort in the fact that he has weaknesses and his standup is still suspect which he seems to be so well known for. Overall out of 5 stars I'm gonna give this event a 3.5 - 5.0 because I was pleased with most of the fights minus the controversy and the fact that MMA is getting big and will only get bigger regardless of yesterdays showing, like I said, like it or not Kimbo is helping MMA (to an extent)
bigbubbano23
6/1/08 9:45:37AM
the only thing i think they did good that pissed us all of was make sure if a fighter was remotly hurt the match was over. the only reason i say this is good would be because of people who bash it for being violent. now have no argument.
Twenty20Dollars
6/1/08 12:04:09PM
CBS is not the channel for MMA. because of the limit of damage and violence they can show just caused too much issues with the early stoppages and not letting the fights continue.
D0wnUnd6e6r
6/1/08 12:41:59PM
Combination of No they did bad and EliteWWE.
Bowen50
6/1/08 1:26:27PM
last night was absolutely horrendous. 3 of the fights had garbage stoppages, the one that bothered me most was scott smith vs. robbie lawler that was absolutely RIDICULOUS. Elite XC's whole presentation is also horrible. The commentating of Mauro is always full of cheesy anecdotes and puns, the way the fighters enter the cage is even horrendous. If anything last night hurt MMA more than it helped. By prematurely stopping fights it didn't give the hardcore fans what they wanted to see and it robbed the people viewing MMA for the first time of the true sport of Mixed Martial Arts. Horrible job done by Elite XC last night.
casey64
6/1/08 2:03:55PM
The fights were good, but too much talking and way too long walkins plain and simple IMO.
casey64
6/1/08 2:05:02PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

CBS is not the channel for MMA. because of the limit of damage and violence they can show just caused too much issues with the early stoppages and not letting the fights continue.

As well.
89vision
6/1/08 3:34:06PM
yesterday leads me to believe mma is not accepted by the public yet
Jackelope
6/1/08 5:38:31PM
NO