UFC vs Elite = WWE vs WCW / story lines and spoilers to come.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC vs Elite = WWE vs WCW / story lines and spoilers to come.
tarantula
10/5/08 1:59:53PM
Back in 2003 UFC and WWE were both on SPIKE TV. Thats when Dana White had a chance to get some helpful business advice from none other than Vince McMahon about the to's and not to's about running a sport/entertianment type of televisiion series. Thans when Dana came up with the TUF reality series. Since then Pro Elite was introduced as a competitor, rooting from Showtime cable channel and Afflicition (formerly IFL) combining to make a bigger roster. Pro Elite seemed to be a threat to UFC and once again Dana took Vince's advice and aired a previous pay per views free on Spike TV every time Pro Elite aired an event.
Now, rewind to 1994 when the WWE and WCW were having there legendary Monday Night Wars. the WCW was ran by Turner cable which is a rich corporation with a lot of money but the show was ran by Eric Bischoff who did everything in his power to take the WWE out of the picture. Vince McMahon chose to ride the storm out and eventually bought out the WCW because it was a money drain, and he shut it down as a company. But he did end up using alot of the stars from the show.
OK, fast forward to today again and do the math.
Dana White = Vince McMahon
Gay Shaw = Eric Bischoff
Pro Elite = WCW
UFC = WWE
Showtime - Turner Broadcasting
And the UFC airing free events during Elites events, just so they lose viewers. Its pretty obvious whats to come for Elite and their fighters.

I know the world of Wrestling and MMA are completely different, but they are similar in the facts that they do need a certain amount of viewers to continue on TV. and They do hold there shows in arenas acroos the country. So you tell me... am I full of it or will my theories prove correct???????????
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Jipper
10/5/08 2:17:30PM
please don't compare MMA to Pro Wrestling in any way shape or form. Thnx
KYGUY07
10/5/08 2:27:23PM
yea u cant compare mma to wwe
juanez13
10/5/08 2:29:45PM

Posted by KYGUY07

In terms of how the business side of it is run, Yes you can.

dannyfrank
10/5/08 3:43:33PM

Posted by juanez13

Posted by KYGUY07

i was just about to say that
jiujitsufreak74
10/5/08 3:57:35PM

Posted by dannyfrank

Posted by juanez13

Posted by KYGUY07

ah, the voices of reason

say what you want about Pro Wrestling, but the way Vince runs his organization is pretty damn near genius from a business perspective. Dana does tend to use the same strategies as Vince because they are tried and true when dealing with a competitor. good analogy if you ask me
jgtribbett
10/5/08 9:50:14PM
i dont care what you are comparing.. all i care about is that you (the guy with 600 props) .. have 600 ******* props.. wow
gartface
10/5/08 10:26:12PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by dannyfrank

Posted by juanez13

Posted by KYGUY07

ah, the voices of reason

say what you want about Pro Wrestling, but the way Vince runs his organization is pretty damn near genius from a business perspective. Dana does tend to use the same strategies as Vince because they are tried and true when dealing with a competitor. good analogy if you ask me

What they said.
TimW001
10/6/08 12:25:48AM
Well I don't know. We could make of alot of comparisons like this. Just head to head competition. (Apple - MS, PS3 - 360 - Wii, CNN - MSNBC, And the list could go on forever) The main difference is that UFC bring in big ratings, while EliteXC does not. WCW and WWF were both bringing in huge ratings.

But I think they're both bringing in huge money from sponsors.
Naturaldisaster
10/6/08 2:34:36AM
WCW was actually Competition for wwe. and WCW was actually winning the ratings war. Elite XC will never get better ratings than UFC, EXC isnt even in the same league. EXC has the Fighters that could compete against UFC but with Jarad shaw running things they could never compete. I hope they go under so UFC can get some of their fighters
higdon10
10/6/08 4:43:13PM

Posted by tarantula

Afflicition (formerly IFL)

Very knowledgable piece.
tberg420
10/6/08 7:52:36PM

Posted by tarantula

Back in 2003 UFC and WWE were both on SPIKE TV. Thats when Dana White had a chance to get some helpful business advice from none other than Vince McMahon about the to's and not to's about running a sport/entertianment type of televisiion series. Thans when Dana came up with the TUF reality series. Since then Pro Elite was introduced as a competitor, rooting from Showtime cable channel and Afflicition (formerly IFL) combining to make a bigger roster. Pro Elite seemed to be a threat to UFC and once again Dana took Vince's advice and aired a previous pay per views free on Spike TV every time Pro Elite aired an event.
Now, rewind to 1994 when the WWE and WCW were having there legendary Monday Night Wars. the WCW was ran by Turner cable which is a rich corporation with a lot of money but the show was ran by Eric Bischoff who did everything in his power to take the WWE out of the picture. Vince McMahon chose to ride the storm out and eventually bought out the WCW because it was a money drain, and he shut it down as a company. But he did end up using alot of the stars from the show.
OK, fast forward to today again and do the math.
Dana White = Vince McMahon
Gay Shaw = Eric Bischoff
Pro Elite = WCW
UFC = WWE
Showtime - Turner Broadcasting
And the UFC airing free events during Elites events, just so they lose viewers. Its pretty obvious whats to come for Elite and their fighters.

I know the world of Wrestling and MMA are completely different, but they are similar in the facts that they do need a certain amount of viewers to continue on TV. and They do hold there shows in arenas acroos the country. So you tell me... am I full of it or will my theories prove correct???????????

You make some decent points but Monday Nitro didn't start until 1995 and didn't take over the ratings war until mid 1996. There were plenty of reasons that WCW failed in the end but ultimately their overspending on wrestlers was the biggest. That is something that could come back to end Elite XC and Affliction. I mean seriously, $500,000 for Kimbo??
JimiMak
10/6/08 8:30:05PM
Such a waste of time. There are limited comparisons to any kind of business. But comparing any fictional tv show to a sport is apples and oranges. Compare it to other sports if you're gonna try to put a lot of thought into a long OP.
loonytnt
10/7/08 1:56:50PM
they both had brock, they both have cage matches lol, i hope a TLC match dont happen in the ufc tho =P, and imo king of the cage has to be the NwO lol
MMA
10/7/08 5:40:05PM
No matter how much you guys hate professional wrestling, you have to admit that Vince is a marketing genius and is probably Dana's role model.