My Elite XC Result Rant SPOILER

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » Spoilers Forum » My Elite XC Result Rant SPOILER
Next Page »
Copenhagen
5/31/08 11:44:49PM
I don't recommend anyone reading this, I just feel like complaining.

So, Kimbo doesn't defend himself for 2 minutes straight, but the fight goes on. Then the minute the ref got a chance to stop the fight against JT, BAM. I don't even think favoritism is the word for this.
imanidiot777
5/31/08 11:47:26PM
Honestly, they both gassed by the middle of the second, but the whole fight it looked like JT's punches were dead fish. Who knows if THAT was planned. The whole show EliteXC put on makes it more like WWE than a real event, which is really bad for MMA.
zephead
5/31/08 11:48:47PM
That just proved that Kimbo has a long, long, long, long, way to go. The stoppage was bad.
skinnator
5/31/08 11:50:51PM
seriously WERE WAS THE REF TODAY!!!
Copenhagen
5/31/08 11:51:15PM

Posted by zephead

That just proved that Kimbo has a long, long, long, long, way to go. The stoppage was bad.

I agree, if anything came out of this fight, it is that Kimbo is a far cry from what many thought (including me.)
SqWaGGy
5/31/08 11:54:24PM
That stoppage was disappointing. JT had been hurt like that earlier in the fight and ended up taking Kimbo down right after and controlling the round until the bell.
dannyfrank
5/31/08 11:55:10PM

Posted by imanidiot777

Honestly, they both gassed by the middle of the second, but the whole fight it looked like JT's punches were dead fish. Who knows if THAT was planned. The whole show EliteXC put on makes it more like WWE than a real event, which is really bad for MMA.

thats why i generally dont watch much outside of UFC, PRIDE, and WEC
mkiv9secsupra
5/31/08 11:56:48PM
i for one wont watch another EXC event again. disappointment in their two main events from the officials. No fault of the fighters themselves, i loved the fights while they were fighting but then the BS officials step in and ruin the entire night!
mkiv9secsupra
5/31/08 11:58:03PM

Posted by skinnator

seriously WERE WAS THE REF TODAY!!!

he called out sick....thats why he didnt see what was happening in the cage.....
dstlvb
5/31/08 11:59:03PM
Agree. You cant justify a stoppage when in the earlier round JT took the same huge hits and wound up on top of Kimbo and for a full minute landing punches that Kimbo could not defend. Another question i had is when JT had side control on Kimbo yet was stood up. Side control is a fairly dominant position. Would the ref had stood them up if JT had mount, yet wasnt working aas well as the Ref thought he should.
MALICE
5/31/08 11:59:45PM
EXC needs to run some Fight Night style cards on CBS and leave the big cards on Showtime. And no more WWE style entrances. Just a thought.
imanidiot777
6/1/08 12:00:56AM

Posted by xxMALICExx

EXC needs to run some Fight Night style cards on CBS and leave the big cards on Showtime. And no more WWE style entrances. Just a thought.

The entrance were so ridiculous, it made me laugh, and the announcers voice has to go, Bruce Buffer all the way.
89vision
6/1/08 12:02:28AM
i dont think it was the ref, dan is usually a good ref in the UFC it seemed EliteXC were cautious tonight, stopping fights when they didnt have to, the Carano fight, the Lawler fight, and the Kimbo fight, too bad for them only 1 of those fight ended in cheers and not boo's, overall not a good showing but hopefully primetime mma dosnt die

i wasnt a fan of James before this fight always seeing him as a reckless fighter with a weak chin but either way James' performance tonight has made a fan out of me, if he would have won that would have restarted his career for sure, i think this is why he never hit the canvas, also it showed Kimbo is still an infant in mma and better hope for another standup fight like Tank
imanidiot777
6/1/08 12:03:45AM

Posted by 89vision

i dont think it was the ref, dan is usually a good ref in the UFC it seemed EliteXC were cautious tonight, stopping fights when they didnt have to, the Carano fight, the Lawler fight, and the Kimbo fight, too bad for them only 1 of those fight ended in cheers and not boo's, overall not a good showing but hopefully primetime mma dosnt die

i wasnt a fan of James before this fight always seeing him as a reckless fighter with a weak chin but either way James' performance tonight has made a fan out of me, if he would have won that would have restarted his career for sure, i think this is why he never hit the canvas, also it showed Kimbo is still an infant in mma and better hope for another standup fight like Tank

Yeah, if Kimbo fights anyone that can last longer than 2 rounds he will gas out, and if he fights a BJJ guy he's done, I'm starting to think he's not even that good on his feet.
CantAndleDaRiddum
6/1/08 12:04:22AM

Posted by Copenhagen

I don't recommend anyone reading this, I just feel like complaining.

So, Kimbo doesn't defend himself for 2 minutes straight, but the fight goes on. Then the minute the ref got a chance to stop the fight against JT, BAM. I don't even think favoritism is the word for this.

agree 100% w/ TS, kimbo wouldve won

ref just added controversy to a fight thatif extended another 30 seconds might not have had any
Copenhagen
6/1/08 12:05:18AM

Posted by 89vision

What baffles me though, if it was due to cautiousness and not favoritism, then the fight should have been called when Kimbo didn't defend for what seemed like 2 minutes.
89vision
6/1/08 12:07:58AM
im not even gonna argue that it was favortism, they hype kimbo enough for me to consider that too, this might mean the beginning of the end for kimbo what with his weaknesses being put centerfold, either way James did great in defeat
emfleek
6/1/08 12:11:37AM
What pissed me off was having the sport being referred to as 'deadly.'

Yeah...exactly what MMA needs. Add fuel to the fire.
I thought the entire production SUCKED. Sure, it's their first show, but like it was said above, kill the BS ring entrances. Busta friggin' Rhymes? Are you kidding me?

I knew right away it was going to blow when I had to fast forward through the first 20+ minutes in order to get to the first fight.

Thank God WEC 34 is tomorrow night. Otherwise, I would have looked forward to this weekend for nothing.
jomatty
6/1/08 12:16:15AM
i think it was a good stoppage and saved JT a brutal knockout. I cant see stopping the fight at the end of the second because JT was not inflicting any damage, he was just holding kimbo down and kimbo was gassing trying to escape. by that criteria you would have to stop a fight if someone pulled guard and the person on top was unable to escape guard despite no damage being done. JT needs to work on his power and GNP and he would have finished the fight in a few different spots. He is lucky they stopped the fight imo or he would have got knocked out imo. it was definitely a premature standup when JT had side control though, but i dont think it was favoritism i think it was just them trying to keep the action going in front of that ignorant crowd and the ignorant tv audience. i mean they were booing robby and scot and they were going to war...
ObsoleteMan
6/1/08 12:17:36AM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

agree 100% w/ TS, kimbo wouldve won

ref just added controversy to a fight thatif extended another 30 seconds might not have had any

You really think that? I feel it's a lot less clear. JT took the exact same beating (minus that disgusting ear pop) in the first minutes of the second, and took kimbo down shortly after, and controlled him until the bell. That fight could've still gone either way, and it really sucks that it didn't.

Two spotty ref/doctor calls in consecutive big fights? Looks bad on MMA's debut, and really bad on EliteXC, even if it was the NJ commision's fault.
imanidiot777
6/1/08 12:18:15AM

Posted by jomatty

i think it was a good stoppage and saved JT a brutal knockout. I cant see stopping the fight at the end of the second because JT was not inflicting any damage, he was just holding kimbo down and kimbo was gassing trying to escape. by that criteria you would have to stop a fight if someone pulled guard and the person on top was unable to escape guard despite no damage being done. JT needs to work on his power and GNP and he would have finished the fight in a few different spots. He is lucky they stopped the fight imo or he would have got knocked out imo. it was definitely a premature standup when JT had side control though, but i dont think it was favoritism i think it was just them trying to keep the action going in front of that ignorant crowd and the ignorant tv audience. i mean they were booing robby and scot and they were going to war...

Good point about Robby and Scott, that fight was sick until the end, whatever fans were there were pretty lame.
candynuts
6/1/08 12:21:24AM
Damnit, I Tivo'd it since I was not going to be able to watch it on time and it recorded just at the finish of the Lawler vs. Smith fight (which was badass btw, unfortunately witn an anti-climatic finish)
So I was not able to watch the Kimbo vs. JT fight!!! Which pissed me off to nooo end! ****!!!!! Well, from what I hear both gassed and Thompson was controlling him on the ground for 2 rounds then Kimbo comes back and TKO's him in the 3rd... Hopefully a video is up soon.

Damn I wish Smith wouldnt have gotten that injury because that was a war!
emfleek
6/1/08 12:24:45AM

Posted by candynuts

Damnit, I Tivo'd it since I was not going to be able to watch it on time and it recorded just at the finish of the Lawler vs. Smith fight (which was badass btw, unfortunately witn an anti-climatic finish)
So I was not able to watch the Kimbo vs. JT fight!!! Which pissed me off to nooo end! ****!!!!! Well, from what I hear both gassed and Thompson was controlling him on the ground for 2 rounds then Kimbo comes back and TKO's him in the 3rd... Hopefully a video is up soon.

I knew right away that they would get all 5 fights in the 2 hour time slot. Too much over-production.
89vision
6/1/08 12:27:01AM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by candynuts

I knew right away that they would get all 5 fights in the 2 hour time slot. Too much over-production.

yeah wtf was there problem? 10 min. commercials and over-talking and over analyzing the fights before they happened, like half of the ppl watching know anything except that Kimbo is on the card
tdietel01
6/1/08 12:57:30AM
maybe this is a sign that kimbo will not lose a fight unless he is ko'd or subbed it appears it will have to be an obvious defeat for him to lose. i didnt watch the fight but if they stood them up while JT was in side control then its pretty clear they will not have kimbo lose if they can help it. it reminds me of the GG vs CC fight when they stood them up for no good reason. that was pretty obvious that CC was supposed to win. maybe EXC is "mma entertainment" similar to WWE's "sports entertainment"
pharside
6/1/08 12:58:06AM
JT was messed up alot more in the 3rd than the 2nd and all he was doing to Kimbo was holding him down, trust me i'm no just saying this because i'm a fan of kimbo's infact I think he's a bum. I will say that with this much Hype in his 3rd fight he showed some skill on the ground cardio sucked but that could be nerves I'd like to see him fight that Rogers guy.
juanez13
6/1/08 1:02:52AM
JT could have won the fight easily, in the first he could have had full mount on multiple ocasions, some times even james had kimbo in"half guard" with kimbo practically flat on the floor, dont know why james wouldnt mount, shows both need some serious work, a good wrestler (even half decent) would have murdered kimbo. kimbos biggest problem right now are cardio + TK defense

also dont agree with the stoppage, similar thing happened in the second, and the ref didnt stop it then, although i think it was gonna be over there,but the ref still should have let on, i could defenately see james taking it to the ground again, and win a decision. agree some favoritism shown, that stand up was BS, same with the stoppage (although not as much)

anyways The Ref defenately deserved getting Bitch-slapped by JT
emfleek
6/1/08 1:10:32AM

Posted by emfleek

What pissed me off was having the sport being referred to as 'deadly.'

Yeah...exactly what MMA needs. Add fuel to the fire.

Did anyone else catch the 'deadly' remark that Shamrock (reading from a teleprompter) made?

Seriously, must it be referred to that way? Hell, I wouldn't even have called it 'violent' but I heard it referred to as that a few times, too. There are ways to describe the sport without doing so with words that have been the downfall of MMA for so long.
gartface
6/1/08 1:19:21AM

Posted by 89vision

Posted by emfleek

Posted by candynuts

yeah wtf was there problem? 10 min. commercials and over-talking and over analyzing the fights before they happened, like half of the ppl watching know anything except that Kimbo is on the card

I think the over production and over analyzing was a good thing, because it helped non MMA fans and newcomers start to understand a lot of things. I agree it took away from the show as far as we're concerned, but it was a good move on their part.

And for JT being stopped early, the only reason he wasn't "knocked out" is because he fell onto the cage. Watch that uppercut hit and watch his eyes roll back in his head until he's awoken by another punch.
Mayhem13
6/1/08 1:34:13AM
well, I can see why the didnt stop the fight when Kimbo was on the ground...although he wasnt really improving position...those shots JT were landing did not have much behind them and did little damage.

I do think the ref stopped the figth at a bad time...but am almost 100% positive it would have ended within the next punch or two..becasue he was clearly rocked and wobbly...

so I dont know, it was controversial....but it didnt really chang much...just gave something for people to bitch ad speculate about.

Pages: [1] 2