Elite XC "quick stop"

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Elite XC "quick stop"
Lilldangles
6/1/08 2:48:46AM
how about every fight being stopped quick, cept the girl fight.

Am i wrong?

holt8081
6/1/08 2:51:12AM
yep that was a sorry event.
hippysmacker
6/1/08 2:53:41AM
I think if they waited 5 or 10 seconds more JT would have been legitimately stopped, but there is no way of knowing that for sure. He looked hurt, but not bad enough to stop IMO. I think a rematch would be fair.
holt8081
6/1/08 2:55:43AM
they sould have stoped it when kimbo was getting pounded on
Aether
6/1/08 2:58:18AM
he was obviously stunned, but he wasn't any MORE stunned than he had been in round 2 directly before he got kimbo down for the remaining 2 minutes. I think it was a bad stoppage, the ear looks a lot worse than it is because a lot of fluid collected in one place and he didn't bother to drain it, but it's no different from any other cut when it opens, just that a lot of gross puss comes out. He was stupid for not draining the ear, but there were also a few pretty awful stoppages tonight IMO. Scott Smith should've been given his 5 minutes to recover, that was really sub-par medical attention and reffing.
Kpro
6/1/08 3:03:21AM
Even the girl fight was stopped horribly early. Her eye was completely open with no cuts above it.

Beyond horrible first ever prime time event.

I'm ashamed.
Nacho
6/1/08 3:03:30AM

Posted by Aether

he was obviously stunned, but he wasn't any MORE stunned than he had been in round 2 directly before he got kimbo down for the remaining 2 minutes. I think it was a bad stoppage, the ear looks a lot worse than it is because a lot of fluid collected in one place and he didn't bother to drain it, but it's no different from any other cut when it opens, just that a lot of gross puss comes out. He was stupid for not draining the ear, but there were also a few pretty awful stoppages tonight IMO. Scott Smith should've been given his 5 minutes to recover, that was really sub-par medical attention and reffing.

+1. Kimbo got babied and the fight could have been stopped when Thompson pinned him and was hitting him with no intelligent defense on KS's part. Smith got stopped early by the ref and doctor. Give him the five minutes before stopping the fight, retards. That was shaping up to be an awesome fight before they prematurely stopped it.
Mchubb316
6/1/08 3:05:55AM
I don't know if JT would have recovered after that last flurry. I don't understand why they didn't let Smith wait the full 5 minutes, before stopping it. Overall I don't know if this was a positive night for MMA as far as getting more fans.
Rush
6/1/08 10:42:27AM
My hunch is the refs were probably told to be a little more quick on the draw when it came to stopping fights. I think this is because it was on CBS and a) there is a limit to how much violence can be shown on regular TV and b) the promoters probably wanted MMA to come off as "less violent" in the hopes that they might dispel the old-school MMA myth.

Just a theory..
wolfman
6/1/08 10:47:59AM

Posted by Rush

My hunch is the refs were probably told to be a little more quick on the draw when it came to stopping fights. I think this is because it was on CBS and a) there is a limit to how much violence can be shown on regular TV and b) the promoters probably wanted MMA to come off as "less violent" in the hopes that they might dispel the old-school MMA myth.

Just a theory..

Yeah, I agree...that's what I was saying all night also.
Rush
6/1/08 10:56:22AM

Posted by wolfman

Yeah, I agree...that's what I was saying all night also.

see_you_in_hell_brat
6/1/08 11:32:47AM
I think that, if taken individually, none of the stoppages were that grievous. it's just that the combination of them all, on the same card, by a new (newer) org was just a freak occurance.

kind of like the perfect storm of stoppages.

i wouldn't expect something similar to happen on the next cbs card, if it happens.
Twenty20Dollars
6/1/08 12:00:42PM
ok i saw in the prelims too that some fighters couldnt answer the bell which is weird.

The Gina vs Young fight, young could have still fought, JT was knocked out i mean yeah he was rocked but not on the ground or KOed just let the fight play out. Smith/Lawler shouldnt have stopped, effing doctors

CBS is not the channel for MMA.
Franklinfan47
6/1/08 1:35:12PM
Ya it was a pretty sad night for mma. I feel bad for JT, I think he could have won that fight if they had let it go a little longer.

I'm not too torn up about Smith-Lawler because look on the bright side, now we can watch an exciting rematch (presumably).

Young's face was pretty busted up, but I've seen fighters continue with worse cuts. She looked pretty out of it sitting in her corner, I think maybe she was more out of it then it seemed.

Rogers and Villasenor are beasts, I was really impressed. I would love to watch Rogers beat up Kimbo. I wonder what's next for Vilasenor.

Something interesting I noticed about the prelims. Nick Serra told his brother Matt "Serras don't quit, thats the difference between you and GSP". I guess not, eh Nick?
wolfman
6/1/08 2:00:09PM

Posted by Franklinfan47

Something interesting I noticed about the prelims. Nick Serra told his brother Matt "Serras don't quit, thats the difference between you and GSP". I guess not, eh Nick?

Yeah, I also brought that up in the live results thread. Karma is a bitch....isn't it Nick Serra?!
Lockfrow
6/1/08 4:10:18PM
I think the female fight was the worst stoppage.
D0wnUnd6e6r
6/1/08 4:24:40PM
Nice Av lol
prozacnation1978
6/1/08 6:48:31PM
bad night!!!!
god those fights were reffed badly
i don't know where to begin from buster rhymes to the girls dancing on the walk way my friends thought they were watching wwe.
three bad early stoppages
kimbo should have lost, he got hit 6 to 7 times and was not defending it, they should have stopped it but instead gary shaw whispers in the ref ear here is another grand in your pocket if james looks like he is going down stop the fight. james was still up and going, the guy always fights like that, the ref should not have stopped the fight, but shaw wanted to protect his investment

i have much more love for the ufc, and lost alot of respect for kimbo and elite xc
to me it seems a little bit like they are paying off not just the refs but also the fighters.
lawler vs smith was good, can't believe those jokers did not give steve his 5 min to wait and then make a decision, i tell you this crap would not happen in the ufc
bls1919
6/1/08 7:05:47PM
Well considering that Dan miragalotta is a UFC REF>>>maybe it would. James thompson lost the fight himself when he had kimbo down and was only throwing those lame ass wrist punches. I call them that because i cant bring myself to cal them hammerfists. he looked like he was playing patty cake for christ sake. The lawlwer/smith fight ...i loved it except for the end. If he wanted to continue, he should have to told the doctor he could see, even if he couldnt. Randy lost his belt to chuck in the same manner. Get poked in the eye, shrug it off and get KOd. It sucks but what can you do? Well i geuss you could NOT tell the DOCTOR, you cant see. And to the fact that "james was still up and going" i say BS, why do you think he wasnt in the middle of the ring when they anounced the winner, he had no idea where he was. lokk at the end of the fight. JTs eyes were rolling in his head. he got saved from a brutal KO.
breakdown5
6/1/08 8:15:06PM
The ref and/or doctor stoppages last night were out of control. It looked like the athletic commission told the docs and refs to not let the fights get too violent since its on network tv.
NinjaCyborg
6/2/08 12:50:56AM

Posted by Lockfrow

I think the female fight was the worst stoppage.

I agree. However if it wasn't stopped I'm sure kaitlin was seconds away from being KOed. Which is unfortunate because I was cheering for her to win!