elbows+fedor=first loss....

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » elbows+fedor=first loss....
Next Page »
TheHitmanTL
8/30/07 5:49:40PM
now im nat saying randy will beat but i do think its possible.....lets face it fedor is an awesome fighter but......he has been known to be prone to cuts being that he was in pride and elbows were not allowed he nver faced a serious one...this is what i believe is gonna happen fedor will eventually fight somone that is gonna throw and elbow and i gonna split his face wideee open.elbows are gonna be fedors worst nightmare
richieb19
8/30/07 5:52:23PM
Actual active competition is Fedor's worst nightmare actually, so it seems anyways... There are a handful of fighters I think would beat Fedor, whether the masses agree with it or not he isn't unbeatable. However I personally don't think Randy is one of them. Regardless, I'd like to actually see him fight once in a while.
Copenhagen
8/30/07 7:04:18PM

Posted by richieb19

Actual active competition is Fedor's worst nightmare actually, so it seems anyways... There are a handful of fighters I think would beat Fedor, whether the masses agree with it or not he isn't unbeatable. However I personally don't think Randy is one of them. Regardless, I'd like to actually see him fight once in a while.

There are many fighters who could have a chance to beat Fedor, but none IMO who would be a favorite against him. Are you saying you know a handful of fighters that have a chance to beat Fedor? Or that you have a hand full of fighters that would actually be a favorite against him? If so, name them.
adamal
8/30/07 7:33:55PM
That's a good point, there are several fighters I think have a shot but none I would actually pick over Fedor. And as far as the elbows go, yea he caught that one in RINGS a few years back but I really have no reason to think that Just being in pride makes him likely to be cut. CC, Rampage, and others haven't shown that their faces are any weaker due to it.
But if he did fight in UFC i'm sure you would see guys throwin 'bows at him, it would just be smart fighting.
kaduey
8/30/07 7:41:12PM
Well I remember Fedor's manager telling Sherdog in their interview that they (Fedor's camp) were a little concerned about the UFC's elbows, but Fedor is still so elusive even from the bottom. I can see someone try to throw elbows and get caight in a submission in the process.
shawneth
8/30/07 8:31:44PM
I dont think having elbows will help couture in his quest to beat Fedor because he doesnt really use elbows to begin with.
cmill21
8/30/07 8:50:49PM
Well the biggest problem with this is getting Fedor on his back and not getting submitted. I think he'd have to lose by cut because he won't be KO'd and he won't be submitted.
jocksmall
8/30/07 8:51:42PM
your post is a fair one. fedor will lose. we just dont know who will beat him because he will be the favorite. elbows could play a part and a cut could do him in. but 26-1 is impressive
SicJits
8/30/07 11:25:35PM
fedor's only loss was due to an elbow cut, but they were illegal. It was the 2000 rings tourney and since he couldnt contiue he lost. Again elbow strikes at this tourney were Illegal, imo if he fights were he knows elbows are part of the arsenal, then he will protect himself from them. His biggest disadvantage will be rust from not being active, and scar tissue above his eye.
richieb19
8/30/07 11:53:20PM

Posted by SicJits

fedor's only loss was due to an elbow cut, but they were illegal. It was the 2000 rings tourney and since he couldnt contiue he lost. Again elbow strikes at this tourney were Illegal, imo if he fights were he knows elbows are part of the arsenal, then he will protect himself from them. His biggest disadvantage will be rust from not being active, and scar tissue above his eye.

It wasn't an intentional elbow at all, it was a dodged punch that grazed Fedor's face. TK would have almost certainly beaten him in Rings that night anyways.
tomp6581
8/31/07 5:02:07AM
I agree. Elbows are a massive concern to Fedor in my opinion, if is does come to UFC...he will almost certainly lose via a cut at some point.

However, there are two side to evey coin. Imagine Fedors Ground and Pound WITH elbows!
Manfred
8/31/07 5:48:58AM
I agree with Tomp. HE can use elbows too. I remember his first fight in PRIDE when they said he'd have trouble with strikes on the ground, since he was coming from RINGS. He adapted fine and will again.

But I agree that the only way he'll lose is with a cut. Otherwise it's very unlikely.
mkiv9secsupra
8/31/07 6:42:24AM
the only elbows fedor should be too concerned about is when he has someone in his guard and they try to GnP with elbows from that position. but who in the ufc is going to put him on his back long enough to cut him seriously...coleman and randleman could because they were just too powerful but the top ufc guys arent generally as strong as those two. Maybe Herring could put get him down and get some good elbows in. Barnett could but he isnt signed. So elbows shouldnt be a big deal right now to fedor..
TNunley
8/31/07 9:19:22AM

Posted by shawneth

I dont think having elbows will help couture in his quest to beat Fedor because he doesnt really use elbows to begin with.

Did you see the Gonzaga fight?
LR
8/31/07 9:19:34AM
The only elbows that should be a concern in this entire discussion should be the ones he's going to rain down on someone's face. His guard is unbelievable, and he's been easily able to get back up. Fedor has also been training against elbows as he stated a few months back. If he says they aren't a concern, I believe it.
TNunley
8/31/07 9:21:50AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

the only elbows fedor should be too concerned about is when he has someone in his guard and they try to GnP with elbows from that position. but who in the ufc is going to put him on his back long enough to cut him seriously...coleman and randleman could because they were just too powerful but the top ufc guys arent generally as strong as those two. Maybe Herring could put get him down and get some good elbows in. Barnett could but he isnt signed. So elbows shouldnt be a big deal right now to fedor..

I have to disagree,... I think Randy is much better a fighter and wrestler than Coleman or Randleman, and could easily put Fedor on his back if those two were capable.
LR
8/31/07 10:52:41AM
Well, we can sit here all day comparing.. Coleman actually made the Olympic team, Couture failed to multiple times. But we won't make that comparison because I think Couture's main strength is the clinch. But that will not stop someone like Fedor. I just think he will be overwhelmed by the speed of Fedor's transitions. Nobody ever mentions his speed or transition game, and nobody really can train for it because nobody is as fast as Fedor.

Good night, Randy Couture.
Junior24
8/31/07 1:44:02PM
Everybody...elbows are not just used during the mount. They are used a lot in the clinch against the fence (i.e. "dirty boxing"). Also, Mark Hunt, whose pedigree is K-1 Kickboxing, kept fedor down for a while, and almost submitted him w/kimura. They are a lot of intangibles in the cage that could go against him.

Here's the problem. He is very good friends w/Lebanner and Hoost and trains w/them often. Then consider he is the World Sambo Champion.

The only thing right now that can go against him is his lack competition and fighting right now.

Dana if your reading this, It would behouve you to sign Fedor ASAP! Give him a warmup fight against Arlovski or Vera/Sylvia then give him a title shot.
SicJits
9/2/07 11:15:04AM

Posted by richieb19

Posted by SicJits

It wasn't an intentional elbow at all, it was a dodged punch that grazed Fedor's face. TK would have almost certainly beaten him in Rings that night anyways.

i agree it was from a dodged punch, but i dont think tk would of beat him that night. and if fedor would of beat tk he'd of fought Randy next, who did beat tk.
mikevolz
9/2/07 12:47:20PM
granted mark hunt held him down, but hunt was about 60 lbs bigger, and is a monster of an athlete.

i just don't see anybody in the ufc with the strength or ability to hold fedor down. maybe for the first minute or two, but he's so active for so long, he just has a higher workrate than his opponents. and nobody comes into a fight with that kind of tempo in hw. i honestly think some of the LHW's are a worse matchup for fedor than a lot of the hw's.

i think vera would be one of the tougher ones for fedor, because hes not so big as he is fast.
Believe-in-judo81
9/2/07 9:44:22PM

Posted by TNunley

I have to disagree,... I think Randy is much better a fighter and wrestler than Coleman or Randleman, and could easily put Fedor on his back if those two were capable.

It's your right to disagree but your opinion is simply laughable. Is Randy's Clinch(in MMA) better than Coleman or Randleman? Yes, by leaps and bounds, but to say with any degree of Certainty that's he's a better wrestler than Coleman, a 1 time NCAA Div1 champ and two time olympic team member, and Randleman a 4-time NCAA Div1 Champ and arguably the greatest college wrestler ever behind Dan Gable!? That borders on stupidity friend.
GrandMaster313
9/3/07 12:08:40AM
Fedor's worst nightmare is fighting FEDOR!!!
Manfred
9/3/07 2:20:53AM

Dana if your reading this, It would behouve you to sign Fedor ASAP! Give him a warmup fight against Arlovski or Vera/Sylvia then give him a title shot.

Immediate title shot has already been stated. If Hendo deserves one, certainly Fedor does.
cmill21
9/3/07 2:30:57AM
I don't get why people are all over Fedor....He wants things that he deserves, he's consistant, he's dominant, he's an awsome fighter. Ohhhh 1000 post.
ultimatefighter33
9/3/07 2:45:04AM
Fedor + UFC = a lot of scared heavyweights Except for CroCop now that equals Fedor s first loss
ncordless
9/3/07 3:09:05AM

Posted by Believe-in-judo81

Posted by TNunley

It's your right to disagree but your opinion is simply laughable. Is Randy's Clinch(in MMA) better than Coleman or Randleman? Yes, by leaps and bounds, but to say with any degree of Certainty that's he's a better wrestler than Coleman, a 1 time NCAA Div1 champ and two time olympic team member, and Randleman a 4-time NCAA Div1 Champ and arguably the greatest college wrestler ever behind Dan Gable!? That borders on stupidity friend.

Randleman the 2nd GOAT? He was only a two time NCAA champ.

Cael Sanderson and Ben Askren are both considered better.

I'd also take Lincoln Mcilravey, The Brands twins, John and Pat Smith and the Banach bros. before Randleman. And those are just wrestlers I can think of off the top of my head.

Edit: And most of those wrestlers came through Iowa... not Ohio.
UBTossinasalad
9/3/07 1:39:04PM

Posted by richieb19

How are you a mod and know so little about things like this. I mean seriously, TK would have beat him that night???? Its clear you dislike Fedor but making such wild statements does nothing but make you look like a hater more than someone who is unbiased and open minded.

Before people go on saying a cut will stop Fedor, take a look at some of the bloodbaths over the last few yrs that havent been stopped. Then consider its Fedor fighting and as dangerous as he is, he will be allowed to go on longer than normal because he always has a chance to win at any given moment.

Ask David Heath if a bad cut will get the match stopped. How much blood did Eves Edwards lose before they stopped his fight? Remeber the Guillard/Neer fight?
mkiv9secsupra
9/3/07 10:16:54PM

Posted by UBTossinasalad

Posted by richieb19

How are you a mod and know so little about things like this. I mean seriously, TK would have beat him that night???? Its clear you dislike Fedor but making such wild statements does nothing but make you look like a hater more than someone who is unbiased and open minded.

well im gonna take Richies back here and i do know he knows what the hell hes talking about....and frankliy i agree with him on this.
LR
9/4/07 9:31:19AM
You agree? TK would have most likely got dominated just like he did 5 years later. TK's style didn't make him an overly dominant opponent against anybody. He squeaked out fights to decision and lost. Fedor basically pounded him senseless in their fight years later to the point where the fight was stopped by the referee at the end of the 1st round.
Kastro
9/4/07 1:23:58PM

Posted by TheHitmanTL

now im nat saying randy will beat but i do think its possible.....lets face it fedor is an awesome fighter but......he has been known to be prone to cuts being that he was in pride and elbows were not allowed he nver faced a serious one...this is what i believe is gonna happen fedor will eventually fight somone that is gonna throw and elbow and i gonna split his face wideee open.elbows are gonna be fedors worst nightmare

So your saying if Fedor fights in the UFC his fate is going to be decided on a cut, and not actual skill... this is why Pride FC didn't allow elbows in the first place, a fight should be decided on real skills instead of who is bleeding and cant see anymore...

Fedor finds ways around everything and if someone plans to beat him with a cut (which is very cheap, and doesn't really decide much in the fight) im sure he will find a way around that.. just because Cro Cop took some elbows following up that head kick does not mean Fedor is going to go down the same way...

Fedor is a ground master, he knocks people out from their guard with punches, and if he is allowed to use elbows it will be just another way for him to win... I strongly disagree with you again, Elbows + Fedor = bad news for anybody fighting him...

Pages: [1] 2