An eight sided ring with ropes???

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » An eight sided ring with ropes???
Next Page »
Lets_Do_This
4/4/07 7:44:49PM
I think it's the best alternative. I'm not a huge fan of the cage seeing as how it can be used as a sort of outside advantage what with people getting pinned up against it and such. Visibility got the fans live is a nightmare. Not to mention that it was created by a hollywood stunt coordinator for no holds barred.

Point is that UFC will never trade in an octagon for a 4 sided ring....so why not just rope instead of cage....no visibility problems and no unfair advantages for pin and pounders.
xthe_scottx
4/4/07 7:57:32PM
I personally like the caged octagon. It may have low visibility at live events but it doesn't have ropes which is the main disadvantage to a ring. Fighters fall out of the ropes, controversy over fights is created and nothing is more annoying than when the fight has to be stop just to bring it to the center of the ring. IMO, the idea of a octagon with ropes is really no different than a ring with ropes but that's just my opinion. Interesting idea though.
mkiv9secsupra
4/4/07 8:44:54PM
WTF?! that is completely useless, extremely ugly, and utterly ridiculous....

Lets_Do_This
4/4/07 9:40:04PM
Nah....I think it's best. Personally I just prefer a four sided ring. But seeing as how the UFC has tradmarked the Octagon..........a ring with ropes is best.
hippysmacker
4/4/07 9:51:13PM

Posted by xthe_scottx

I personally like the caged octagon. It may have low visibility at live events but it doesn't have ropes which is the main disadvantage to a ring. Fighters fall out of the ropes, controversy over fights is created and nothing is more annoying than when the fight has to be stop just to bring it to the center of the ring. IMO, the idea of a octagon with ropes is really no different than a ring with ropes but that's just my opinion. Interesting idea though.

Me too. Also, most people aren't watching it live, so visibility isn't a problem on camera.
JunCTion
4/4/07 10:53:04PM
cage(ufc/kotc) and ring(pride/bodog) are both good in my opinion when it comes to organizations and their rules. but i see no need for any org changing. ufc is known for the oct and pride for the ring and thats what interests me about both. different circumstances and tactics for fighters to deal with.
the-james
4/4/07 11:04:28PM
It would just look rediculous
JunCTion
4/4/07 11:11:27PM

Posted by the-james

It would just look rediculous

maybe they could have an alley with 2 sides of brick walls, 1 side a wooden fence with garbage bags and cardboard boxes and the 4th side with other fighters that would throw them back in if they tried to escape. thats the original no holds barred.
JimiMak
4/4/07 11:22:08PM
I think most of your responses are gonna be from UFC nuthuggers who are gonna say the cage rules w/o reasons. I see how you're trying to compromise, I like that.

Other than that, how anyone can argue for the cage is beyond me. The ring is the place to hold combat sports. I will say it in caps for those who dismiss it...

THE CAGE IS A WEAPON TO BE USED IN THE FIGHT!!!!!

Can this not be any clearer? The environment the fight is in should not be a weapong. Restarts are only when either necesssary or when there is no action goin into the entanglement.

No matter how many sides, the ring is the obvious option....

Having said that , I know this always starts it's own thing but....

The open mat is the only real option. No outside advantages. Yes, there are restarts when necessary.

Just an example an oldIgor fight. or these Yves Edwards fights just as a couple examples that it does work Or this event in China.
JunCTion
4/4/07 11:47:47PM

Posted by JimiMak

I think most of your responses are gonna be from UFC nuthuggers who are gonna say the cage rules w/o reasons. I see how you're trying to compromise, I like that.

Other than that, how anyone can argue for the cage is beyond me. The ring is the place to hold combat sports. I will say it in caps for those who dismiss it...

THE CAGE IS A WEAPON TO BE USED IN THE FIGHT!!!!!

Can this not be any clearer? The environment the fight is in should not be a weapong. Restarts are only when either necesssary or when there is no action goin into the entanglement.

No matter how many sides, the ring is the obvious option....

Having said that , I know this always starts it's own thing but....

The open mat is the only real option. No outside advantages. Yes, there are restarts when necessary.

Just an example an oldIgor fight. or these Yves Edwards fights just as a couple examples that it does work

cmon JimiMak. you started off complaning about ufc nuthuggers saying cage rules without reason then proceeded to nuthug the ring. both are good environments. although i do like the visibility of the ring and that was a good igor archive.
BadSanta
4/4/07 11:59:17PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

WTF?! that is completely useless, extremely ugly, and utterly ridiculous....

Relax. Breath. Relax. Breath.
ffforgottenx
4/5/07 12:04:48AM
8 sided ring with ropes = 8 chances for a fighter to be pushed out instead of 4.. i see your logic, but i see more complications coming from an 8-sided ring as opposed to the cage or the regular ring..

i also agree with the open-mat prospect.. they would need bigger mats than they used back in the day, but it could still work and would eliminate the cage-pinning element
JunCTion
4/5/07 12:13:44AM
great topic but non of this will ever hapen unless some upstart org tries it and that wouldnt happen cause of the popularity of cages and 4 sided rings (except in wrestling)
BadSanta
4/5/07 12:15:40AM
What about a glass/clear plastic sided Octagon? It would serve the same purpose of the fence but easier to see/film through.

JunCTion
4/5/07 12:19:48AM

Posted by BadSanta

What about a glass/clear plastic sided Octagon? It would serve the same purpose of the fence but easier to see/film through.

that actually sounds all right. like the plexi glass in a hockey rink
Trapt1nw0nder
4/5/07 12:40:35AM

Posted by JunCTion

Posted by BadSanta

I dont think it works....its a good idea,but fighters sweat and bleed...the last thing i want is a ref to stop the fight and ask for some Windex..
JunCTion
4/5/07 12:44:49AM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by JunCTion

Posted by BadSanta

I dont think it works....its a good idea,but fighters sweat and bleed...the last thing i want is a ref to stop the fight and ask for some Windex..

Mayo
4/5/07 10:08:13AM

Posted by JunCTion

maybe they could have an alley with 2 sides of brick walls, 1 side a wooden fence with garbage bags and cardboard boxes and the 4th side with other fighters that would throw them back in if they tried to escape. thats the original no holds barred.

That would be awesome!
Mayo
4/5/07 10:15:41AM

Posted by Lets_Do_This

I think it's the best alternative. I'm not a huge fan of the cage seeing as how it can be used as a sort of outside advantage what with people getting pinned up against it and such. Visibility got the fans live is a nightmare. Not to mention that it was created by a hollywood stunt coordinator for no holds barred.

Point is that UFC will never trade in an octagon for a 4 sided ring....so why not just rope instead of cage....no visibility problems and no unfair advantages for pin and pounders.

OH YOU MEAN ONE OF THESE?!
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
shackle
4/5/07 12:35:08PM
Yeah I was about to say that TNA crap that comes on spike.

It doesn't look bad at all, and it has more room IMO.

However I like the cage I hate fighting being moved to the center of the ring. This could ruin a win I think.

I think cages suit submission fighters/GNP better, and some people don't like that, but this isn't boxing it's MMA.

Posted by Mayo

Posted by Lets_Do_This

OH YOU MEAN ONE OF THESE?!

scoozna
4/5/07 2:06:12PM

Posted by BadSanta

...uhhh....glass? Maybe if there's a plastic that's flexible enough so that head-smashing doesn't do any damage.
loller90278
4/5/07 2:07:14PM
thats a hexagon, six sided, we're talkin about an octogon, 8 sides, so NO, NOT LIKE ONE OF THOSE (sorry for bein a prick) ...

i think the best platform would be just a mat like in grappling tournaments
Lets_Do_This
4/5/07 2:13:30PM

Posted by BadSanta

Sounds okay...but I don't think that it would solve the pinning problem.
hippysmacker
4/5/07 2:16:28PM
Personally I like and prefer the Thunderdome aspect of the cage.

"2 men enter, 1 man leave, 2 men enter 1 man leave ,2 men enter! 1 man leave! "
Mayo
4/5/07 2:31:04PM
I think we should put a caged roof on the octagon so that the fighters can swing around like monkeys and apply RearNakedChokes using their legs. Or how about some RoyalRumble crap where a bunch of fighters surround a roped ring and keep pushing the two fighters back into the center when they get too close to the ropes.
mkiv9secsupra
4/5/07 2:31:41PM
The cage pinning does not suck so there is no need to fix it... The cage benifits every type of fighter with the exception of Jiu-jitsu fighers. Its mma... its a winning recipe now. why change it?
JunCTion
4/5/07 9:37:17PM

Posted by Mayo

I think we should put a caged roof on the octagon so that the fighters can swing around like monkeys and apply RearNakedChokes using their legs. Or how about some RoyalRumble crap where a bunch of fighters surround a roped ring and keep pushing the two fighters back into the center when they get too close to the ropes.

you mean a lumberjack match
BadSanta
4/6/07 3:46:32AM

Posted by JunCTion

Posted by BadSanta

Can a wigger get some props?
PW
4/6/07 1:27:45PM
Pride used an eight sided ring for their "Pride: The Best" shows. It wasn't really that much different from a normal ring in practice.

I don't think the UFC will ever change from the cage. For one, I think the UFC are happy with the fact that fighters don't need to be repositioned once they reach the sides of the ring despite the cage ruining the man vs man element of the sport.

Also, Dana is a very stubborn and big headed person. He has said that he wants the cage for MMA and I don't think there's any changing his mind.
madmarck
4/6/07 1:42:55PM

Posted by Lets_Do_This

Nah....I think it's best. Personally I just prefer a four sided ring. But seeing as how the UFC has tradmarked the Octagon..........a ring with ropes is best.

It would stop fighters from getting pinned into corners. But other than that, the idea isnt so hot. It would look weird and be the same as TNA wrestlign ring.

Dana wants to stay as far away from pro wrestling as possible.

Posted by BadSanta

Posted by JunCTion

Posted by BadSanta

Can a wigger get some props?

You guys do realize. That shit breaks. And becomes very sharp, someone could get hurt.

And if they made it like super unbreakable crazy super strenth ultra glass. It would be hard as F*ck. Imaginge someone hitting their head off of that.
The Plexi Glass idea wont work

In Hockey most of the action takes place awawy from the glass. In the UFC Ground fights are almost always pushed up against the walls.
Pages: [1] 2