Efrain vs Melvin

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Efrain vs Melvin
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
12/22/08 1:04:18AM
Efrain should fight Melvin Guilliard. Since Guilliard dodged him before. When Guilliared was initially cut after his loss to Clemente, he came to AZ and made and arrogantly open challenge to anybody in the RITC LW and WW division. Efrain challenged him. Melvin said that he was trying to string together wins over impressive opponents so he could make it back into the UFC, and that he was way too out of Efrains league. That a win over Efrain would make it seem as if he was beating cans and trying to take an easy path back to the UFC.

A couple days later Melvin took a fight with a guy Efrain had already previously defeated.

We know Melvin was afraid he'd lose, and just dodged him.
cmill21
12/22/08 2:19:01AM
Huh never heard that. Sure let em fight, I think efrain seems like a nice guy.
fonduktoe
12/22/08 2:42:32AM
i personally think guillard would wreck efrain, but grudge matches sell so if there is any validity (stress validity) to your story than i would welcome the matchup
still think it would go guillard round 1 ko
cmill21
12/22/08 2:59:07AM

Posted by fonduktoe

i personally think guillard would wreck efrain, but grudge matches sell so if there is any validity (stress validity) to your story than i would welcome the matchup

If Efrain got it down he could ealiy win via sub, Melvin gets subbed fairly easily.
fonduktoe
12/22/08 3:18:16AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by fonduktoe

If Efrain got it down he could ealiy win via sub, Melvin gets subbed fairly easily.

guillard has been subbed against guys with good bjj
i don't see that with efrain
slapshot
12/22/08 5:30:05AM
Melvin Guilliard is one of the most underrated fighters in MMA these days and I too think he would make short work of Efrain. I think it would be better to give him one more warm up fight before stepping up to the mid lvl fighters in the division.
Wolfenstein
12/22/08 9:38:24AM
Melvin was arrested a while back for violating probation and was taken off the UFC 90 card. Haven't heard much about him since then, but sounds like he's battling addiction again and I wouldn't expect to see him anytime soon.

If they did fight, I think Melvin would probably knock him out. Right now Efrain is of the LnP variety and I don't think he can hold Melvin down for three rounds.
inyaface69
12/22/08 10:26:29AM
Hmmm this fight would be rather...interesting. I too thik Melvin is one of the most underrated fighters...If you look at his losses in the octogon, they are to pretty worthy opponents. And even then, he shoulda have beaten Josh Neer...if that fight wasn't stopped so the doctor could check out Neer's cut, it would have been over. Efrain hasn't really proved himself in the octogon yet but this would be a good match-up...Melvin wins by first round KO and puts himself back into the LW contenders.
cowcatcher
12/22/08 10:47:04AM

Posted by slapshot

Melvin Guilliard is one of the most underrated fighters in MMA these days and I too think he would make short work of Efrain. I think it would be better to give him one more warm up fight before stepping up to the mid lvl fighters in the division.

i think that melvin is overrated if anything. he has all the tools physically to be a great fighter, but mentally he just hasnt grown up yet. id say hes one of the biggest underachievers in mma, and id go with efrain in if they fought.
tepid55
12/22/08 11:38:14AM
Efrain would win by submission or decision.
gsquat
12/22/08 1:12:32PM
You'd see Melvin throwing a big looping punch and Efrain shooting in and taking him down. I'd espect either a submission or UD win out of Efrain.
higdon10
12/22/08 5:56:33PM
I think that Efrain will wrestle his way to a decision victory.
Aether
12/22/08 9:42:04PM
guillard would take his head off IMO. Effrain's only chance would be lay n pray. Maybe a sub
nastynick13
12/23/08 3:49:11AM
I think this fight would be very similar to the TUF 8 Finale with Phillipe Nover. Except Efrain would get the sub. Like Phillipe Melvin is an explosive fighter looking for the big KO. Unlike Phillipe Melvin's BJJ is a little suspect.
Efrain changes levels takes Melvin down passes his gaurd subs him in the first round. I mean come on Melvin was being controlled and was almost submitted by Gabe Rudiger. 6 out of Melvin's 7 losses came via submission all in the first round. The guy is a really exciting fighter but this would not be a good match up for him. I say let him and Junie fight. I think that fight would be great no matter who loses the fans win.
JimiMak
12/23/08 11:39:27AM
I would hope and pray for Effrain, I don't care if I ever see Melvin again. He needs to get his head together before anything, and i don't see that happening any time soon.
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
12/24/08 3:25:52AM
Hmm. Efrain fights one fight and gets a unanimous decison victory and people say he had bad JJ? 9 out of his 11 wins are by submission. All thre of his wins on the show were by submission. Efrain has the longest submission win streak on Sherdog for 2007.

Efrain would take him down and sub him easily. First round.
MMA
12/24/08 9:01:10AM

Posted by slapshot

I disagree, everyone knows that Guillard is an explosive athlete with good striking but his ground game just plain sucks.
grimreaper
12/26/08 8:14:23PM
There's no way Efrain would easily submit him the only people who have submitted Melvin are guys with good BJJ efrain is a wrestler Melvin would sprawl and knock him around the octagon