Edson Barboza is the most technical striker in the UFC

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Edson Barboza is the most technical striker in the UFC
Kpro
1/15/12 3:36:54PM
So said Kenny Florian on Twitter yesterday.

Agree or disagree? Thoughts on who is if you disagree?
sbulldavid
1/15/12 3:43:19PM
I gotta go with that Machida guy, or that Anderson Silva guy.
Aether
1/15/12 3:47:41PM

Posted by sbulldavid

State_Champ
1/15/12 3:59:15PM

Posted by sbulldavid

prophecy033
1/15/12 4:02:24PM
No way, Leonard Garcia is
FastKnockout
1/15/12 4:20:32PM
Machida and Silva like he said above, and I'd throw in Nate Diaz (recently) and possibly Frankie Edgar.

loonytnt
1/15/12 4:23:45PM
Guys...Tank is by far the best stand up guy in the world......
grappler0000
1/15/12 4:29:51PM

Posted by loonytnt

Guys...Tank is by far the best stand up guy in the world......

Loony, where ya been? You need to post more.
DeadHead988
1/15/12 5:24:41PM
He might be in the top 10, but I wouldn't go any higher than that
ncordless
1/15/12 5:54:59PM
"most technical" is too broad a category for Barboza. He doesn't throw combos particularly well, and his defense is not top-tier. What he does better than almost anyone is throw a wide variety of strikes with a huge amount of power. He's got good power in his hands, and extremely deadly legs. To my mind he is more in the mold of a Cro Cop than an Anderson Silva, Machida, Diaz, or Aldo. He throws a hell of a beautiful kick, but doesn't have the countering, head movement, parrying ability, and 3 or four piece combinations that you see out of the best.

He might have the most technical strikes. But he is not the most technical striker.
Pskinner_mma314
1/15/12 6:52:14PM
O no no eveyone is wrong, Kimbo Slice is the most technical striker ever, cuz everyone knows streetfighters from the hood>mma fighters.....fact
warglory
1/15/12 6:57:33PM
I think Barboza just knows how to time his kicks very well, he is very in tune with his skills, but I don't think his striking is varied enough to be considered the most technical. Jose Aldo is another guy who is much more diverse and technical.
Shawn91111
1/15/12 7:10:45PM
He is now that Brock retired
Kpro
1/15/12 8:04:54PM
Looks like Florian is alone on this one.
dotaaddict
1/15/12 8:41:14PM
technical? I will go with Edgar.
tmas
1/15/12 10:11:57PM

ARE YOU KIDDING ME BROS!!!!!! its pretty clear who the mest technical striker in history of the UFC is...
tcunningham
1/15/12 11:22:37PM
no anderson is. we'll take up this topic again when barbosa becomes the greatest MMA fighter in the sport, even though i hate anderson he cant be denied.
Bubbles
1/16/12 1:03:46AM

Posted by ncordless

"most technical" is too broad a category for Barboza. He doesn't throw combos particularly well, and his defense is not top-tier. What he does better than almost anyone is throw a wide variety of strikes with a huge amount of power. He's got good power in his hands, and extremely deadly legs. To my mind he is more in the mold of a Cro Cop than an Anderson Silva, Machida, Diaz, or Aldo. He throws a hell of a beautiful kick, but doesn't have the countering, head movement, parrying ability, and 3 or four piece combinations that you see out of the best.

He might have the most technical strikes. But he is not the most technical striker.

prozacnation1978
1/16/12 7:54:10PM
The guy only fought 4 times so far in the Ufc
Let's have this.discussion after 10 fights
kingsmasher
1/17/12 2:36:50PM

Posted by warglory

I think Barboza just knows how to time his kicks very well, he is very in tune with his skills, but I don't think his striking is varied enough to be considered the most technical. Jose Aldo is another guy who is much more diverse and technical.

Aldo is good with knees and leg kicks but I doubt anyone in MMA can do that kick Barboza did as well as he did...With speed and power...
kingsmasher
1/17/12 2:39:15PM
If Aldo goes to 155 I dont think he can beat Barboza....Same fighter but Barboza would have the reach...
emfleek
1/17/12 2:44:31PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

The guy only fought 4 times so far in the Ufc
Let's have this.discussion after 10 fights

# of fights has nothing to do with it...