Edgar moving down to 135?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Edgar moving down to 135?
FastKnockout
1/30/13 1:51:13PM
I just got around to watching UFC Tonight and Chael mentioned Dominik Cruz training for Edgar. Cruz said he heard from "good authority" that Edgar isn't planning on sticking around 145.

Anyone else heard anything about it?
JLS1980
1/30/13 2:11:48PM
I haven't heard that. I find it hard to believe though considering he didn't want to move from the Lighweight Division. But I guess anything is possible.
Budgellism
1/30/13 2:16:28PM

Posted by JLS1980

I haven't heard that. I find it hard to believe though considering he didn't want to move from the Lighweight Division. But I guess anything is possible.

That's what I'm thinking. It took a lot of convincing for him to even drop to 145. Bantamweight would be a whole different story. If this is true though I could definitely get excited for some of the potential match ups.
grappler0000
1/30/13 2:19:00PM
I saw it on UFC Tonight as well, but haven't heard anything else.
Theoutlaw08
1/30/13 2:52:13PM
He needs to stay put in 145 for a little bit.
Twenty20Dollars
1/30/13 3:01:54PM
Hell yes. Once Edgar loses to Aldo. Then give him an immediate title shot at 135.

JLS1980
1/30/13 3:07:15PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Hell yes. Once Edgar loses to Aldo. Then give him an immediate title shot at 135.

The majority of the fans had him winning the 2nd Henderson fight. But that's a whole other argument.

I just don't ever see him going to 135 lbs. I think he's capable but just can't see it.
jaguar_paw
1/30/13 3:19:14PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Hell yes.
And then a catchweight "Superfight" against Mighty Mouse after he loses to Cruz.

Then... with 5 straight losses maybe Roussey?? She'll probably be looking for someone to fight by then.
FastKnockout
1/30/13 3:30:00PM
I'd love to see it happen if he beats Aldo. He's still going to be a little undersized compared to some of the 145ers and it would be great to see Edgar as the first three division champion.
cowcatcher
1/30/13 3:37:14PM
Not sticking around 145 might just mean that he's planning on going back up to 155 if things don't pan out against Aldo. I think he likes the speed advantage he has at LW and it probably feels pretty good to beat guys that are naturally bigger than you.
tcunningham
1/30/13 4:00:57PM
i do think he could be a bantamweight. but he has a lot to accomplish at 145lbs. it's really exciting to see edgar cutting down to the smaller weight classes, his potential at those weights is crazy
shaneTpain
1/30/13 4:59:12PM
Interesting!
frizzzlecake
1/30/13 5:29:27PM
Sweet I want Cruz to add another big name to his list.

I'm not a big of Edgar, but every fight he's in, it's a damn good fight!
postman
1/31/13 8:15:16PM
If frank edgar works inside I think aldo is in trouble. His boxing is real tight aldo tends to swing wild with his hands. Im also interested to see if jose can keep it on the feet. Edgar cant allow this fight to be fought on the outside or he will be just like the rest.
prozacnation1978
2/1/13 9:14:59AM
I doubt he goes down to 135
If he losses that is three straight with his last 5,
Fights being 1-3-1 I'm sorry but that's not pound for pound ranking numbers
I honestly think he should have had a fight at 145 before challenging aldo for the belt.

If Evans wins he should do the same. I mean
First sonnen then diaz and Edgar and maybe Evans

Title fights need to be earned not given
postman
2/1/13 11:56:50AM

Posted by prozacnation1978

I doubt he goes down to 135
If he losses that is three straight with his last 5,
Fights being 1-3-1 I'm sorry but that's not pound for pound ranking numbers
I honestly think he should have had a fight at 145 before challenging aldo for the belt.

If Evans wins he should do the same. I mean
First sonnen then diaz and Edgar and maybe Evans

Title fights need to be earned not given

Why ppl think this way amaxes me. I can see the logic if it is a move up in weight but if your moving down and you have a resume like Evans and Edgar what makes Eric Koch or Chris Weidman more deserving them those two? They beat the best of the best at a weight higher then the one they are moving to? Add in the fact these fights are going to make more money for everyone involved. Your logic is flawed in my book. 1-3-1 come on you know as well as anyone else thats not a fair look at his last 5 fights
danclarke1992
2/1/13 12:05:33PM
On the countdown show renzo said that frankie could drop to 135 but he didn't say if he actually would or not