Edgar to defend the title in Japan

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Edgar to defend the title in Japan
sparky
11/28/11 9:21:20AM
THE CANADIAN PRESS

TORONTO -- The UFC has confirmed its return to Japan with Frankie (The Answer) Edgar defending his lightweight title against former WEC title-holder Ben Henderson at UFC Japan -- or UFC 144 -- on Feb. 26 at Saitama, Japan.

The show is the first for the UFC in Asia since Zuffa Inc. bought the mixed martial arts organization in 2001.

Also on the main card at Saitama Super Arena in suburban Tokyo, former light-heavyweight champion Quinton (Rampage) Jackson faces Ryan (Darth) Bader, heavyweight Mark Hunt takes on Cheick Kongo, Japanese welterweight Yoshihiro Akiyama tackles Jake Shields and lightweight Anthony (Showtime) Pettis fights Joe Lauzon.

Link
tallica62
11/28/11 11:22:16AM
I don't think Benny-poo is the best LW, but I think he will beat Edgar. He's a crafty mofo and I think is too big for Franklin Edgar. I dont think Benny will hold the belt for a real long time, but I think he can be Mr. E.
prophecy033
11/28/11 11:28:36AM
Those Japanese fans are gonna love watching these guys go at it
bjj1605
11/28/11 11:29:24AM
This should be a great fight. I'm not really a big fan of Edgar's style but I doubt Bendo could ever be in a boring fight.

Not sure who I'll pick yet.

Frankie is so elusive and quick on the feet, he might give Henderson problems standing and he'll be hard to catch for a takedown. Frankie also already showed against Maynard that he can deal with a bigger stronger wrestler.

But Bendo is more aggressive, faster, and more technical than Gray. He's a a great challenger to Frankie and he seems to be continually surprising people.

Who ever I pick though.... I know who I'll be rooting for.

WAR BENDO!!!!
Budgellism
11/28/11 11:30:53AM

Posted by prophecy033

I know I will
bjj1605
11/28/11 11:31:30AM

Posted by prophecy033

You know...I'm not really sure why.... but I read this as an inappropriate/creepy comment. Lol.

Maybe its because I was picturing your avatar saying it and making that face.
Manak
11/28/11 11:59:43AM
man UFC is putting a solid card seemingly tailored for the Japan crowd not to mention these are gonna be awesome fights to watch... cant wait..

WAR BENDO
KungFuMaster
11/28/11 12:32:19PM
UFC Japan is getting some top notch fights. Awesome.
FastKnockout
11/28/11 1:04:37PM

Posted by bjj1605

This should be a great fight. I'm not really a big fan of Edgar's style but I doubt Bendo could ever be in a boring fight.

Frankie is so elusive and quick on the feet, he might give Henderson problems standing and he'll be hard to catch for a takedown. Frankie also already showed against Maynard that he can deal with a bigger stronger wrestler.

But Bendo is more aggressive, faster, and more technical than Gray. He's a a great challenger to Frankie and he seems to be continually surprising people.

WAR BENDO!!!!

"This should be a great fight. I'm not really a big fan of Edgar's style but I doubt Bendo could ever be in a boring fight."

Hope you're not implying that Edgar is a boring fighter.

IMO Edgar will take it. If Pettis can beat Hendo on the feet with his flashy style, then Edgar should be able to get it in with his crisp stick and move style. I would be worried about the size advantage of Henderson but after watching Edgar handle Maynard's size and strength pretty well in their second and third fight I'm not sure if it will be an issue.
Manak
11/28/11 1:54:10PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by bjj1605

WAR BENDO!!!!

"This should be a great fight. I'm not really a big fan of Edgar's style but I doubt Bendo could ever be in a boring fight."

IMO Edgar will take it. If Pettis can beat Hendo on the feet with his flashy style, then Edgar should be able to get it in with his crisp stick and move style. I would be worried about the size advantage of Henderson but after watching Edgar handle Maynard's size and strength pretty well in their second and third fight I'm not sure if it will be an issue.

Edgar has proven he can handle the size and strength of an opponent over and over again but man henderson has to have the biggest legs in FW, im interested to see what happens when they clinch
Bubbles
11/28/11 2:05:31PM
i am really surprised they didnt leave a slot open for Wandy or Big Nog (pending his fight in 2 weeks). Sexy vs Wandy would have been awesome and more sense than vs Shields imo
prophecy033
11/28/11 2:25:19PM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by prophecy033

You know...I'm not really sure why.... but I read this as an inappropriate/creepy comment. Lol.

Maybe its because I was picturing your avatar saying it and making that face.

I meant it as in Japanese fans LOVE it when guys give it their all and put on a good show and that's what Edgar and Bendo do on the regular
shaneTpain
11/28/11 6:20:43PM
THIS CARD IS STACKEDDDDD
kingsmasher
11/29/11 12:48:42AM

Posted by tallica62

I don't think Benny-poo is the best LW, but I think he will beat Edgar. He's a crafty mofo and I think is too big for Franklin Edgar. I dont think Benny will hold the belt for a real long time, but I think he can be Mr. E.

If u think Ben is stronger than Maynard you is a crazy<aybe in the legs but upper body thats a negative...
bjj1605
11/29/11 4:46:07PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Yes, that is absolutely what I'm implying. You might disagree but thats your opinion.

I don't like his style and its just due to personal preference.

I think he does a lot of moving around (running?) without a lot of substance. Most of his punches are thrown without anything behind them and he rarely tries to finish. He also pretty much never goes for takedowns and I prefer to watch grappling most of the time. Again, that's just my personal preference/opinion.

I will admit the last round of Maynar/Edgar two was exciting (so was the first round of that fight and the first round of their first fight, but that's thanks to Gray ). But I think if you look at his career overall, when he's winning a fight its usually not very exciting.
bjj1605
11/29/11 4:48:11PM

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by tallica62

If u think Ben is stronger than Maynard you is a crazy<aybe in the legs but upper body thats a negative...

But lower body strength is arguably much more important. The muscles in your legs are much more powerful and larger. He's going to be able to push Frankie around, will have more explosion behind his tkd's, punches, kicks, ect. than Maynard did.
Pookie
11/29/11 7:47:48PM
There's upsides and downsides to being really strong in either your upper or lower body.

Gray is likely more conditioned to exert his strength in bursts, and Bendo is going to be stronger in the clinch. I expect niether is much stronger than the other overall.

What i will say though, is i really doubt bendo is going to be able to clinch up with edgar due to the disparity in footwork and outside striking game.
jgtribbett
12/1/11 8:24:32AM
I'll be looking forward to watching a fight where I don't hear boo-ing