Eddie Bravo: "A lot of these guys can bounce back"

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Eddie Bravo: "A lot of these guys can bounce back"
betii
1/16/09 11:45:18AM
New Eddie Bravo interview:

On whether or not guys like Couture, Liddell and Hughes can bounce back...

"I think a lot of these guys can bounce back for a bit, but to bounce back and to really stick around, they’re going to have to do what they can to evolve and learn new things from each of the 3 phases of MMA, which is striking, wrestling and Jiu Jitsu."

"If these fighters aren’t actively pursuing the latest techniques and the best trainers in all 3 of those aspects of fighting, then if they do mount some sort of comeback, it will be short-lived."

"I mean, look at Anderson Silva. He was around for awhile and he wasn’t considered the best. Anderson Silva has been fighting for awhile, but then he got really good at Jiu Jitsu where all of a sudden, you can’t take him down and pound him out anymore. If you did, you’re going to get submitted."

"If you’re not actively polishing your Jiu Jitsu…if you’re a wrestler and you’re not involving your striking and doing…like Jon Fitch said, '**** it, I’m going to Thailand to just focus on striking.'"

"Look at BJ Penn, who is known for his grappling and is a phenomenal Jiu Jitsu player and now, all of a sudden, he’s one of the best strikers in MMA too."

"It’s a lot of guys that are good at maybe 2 phases, but not all 3. There are guys that are good strikers and wrestlers, but they’re not good at Jiu Jitsu."

"You gotta have it all down. The days of being able to get by on 1 or 2 of the 3 are just about gone."

His pick for 2008 Fighter of the Year...

"Man! Anderson Silva maybe. How many fights did he have? I would have to say…damn! Thiago Alves, Anderson Silva and BJ Penn going through Sean Sherk was pretty amazing. Rashad Evans would be right there. He knocked out Chuck and Forrest. You know what? I would have to say Rashad Evans man."

His thoughts on Aoki...

"A lot of guys are using the rubber guard now; a lot of guys. But what makes Aoki different are the pants. The pants just make the rubber guard more effective. Slipperiness is the enemy of submission."

"It’s no question Aoki is so effective with his rubber guard right now because of the pants."

More in the full interview:

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content4135.html
fizzle
1/16/09 2:24:07PM
Eddie Bravo is a cool guy and I really enjoyed the interview. I can't wait to see how George's jujistu has evolved. The rubber guard and the techniques utilized from it are coming full circle and I love it!
postman
1/16/09 2:38:32PM
I would love to go train with Eddie
jiujitsufreak74
1/16/09 3:16:22PM
FEAR THE STRETCHY PANTS!!!!!

roadking95th
1/21/09 12:48:37AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

FEAR THE STRETCHY PANTS!!!!!

cheater
EvenFlow
1/21/09 5:33:46AM
I'm not a fan of the pants its kinda cheating imo yeah it's an indenity thing but it's a submission enabler but it's allowed so whatever he needs to do to get the sub I guess, then hop around on his butt with stretchy pants and hopes he dosnt get hit, thats cool.

I hope BJ dosnt buy into this Japan hype and vacate the UFC belt(s) to fight overseas again