what if...Eddie Alvarez vs Thiago Alves

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » what if...Eddie Alvarez vs Thiago Alves
POLL: Eddie Alvarez vs Thiago Alves
Alvarez via KO/TKO 4% (1)
Alves via KO/TKO 57% (16)
Alvarez via Dec 7% (2)
Alves vs Dec 0% (0)
Alves no question, stupid match 25% (7)
WHO CARES, I'D LOVE TO SEE IT!!! 7% (2)
veritas
12/24/08 3:20:30AM
Imagine this war... (yeah I know Alvarez fights at LW and Alves at WW, but this is a "what if" fight so just go with it)

Eddie Alvarez (15-1-0) vs Thiago Alves (16-3-0)
If you have any question about Alvarez's talent, watch his fights against Tatsuya Kawajiri and Joachim "Hellboy" Hansen from the Dream 5 LW Grand Prix
And Alves' performances against Hughes, Parisyan, and Koscheck

I'd have to give the edge in all respects to Alves, but I think this battle still warrants some major fireworks! I think it would be an all-out brawl standing, most likely not making it past the first round. Both fight at an unrelenting pace, almost as if watching in fast-forward. I'd say Alves takes this fight 70% of the time, but I'm curious to hear what all of you think.

Also, if any of you could post links Alvarez vs Kawajiri and/or Hansen and Alves vs Hughes and/or Parisyan I'd much appreciate it. Thanks.

Playground_Samurai
12/24/08 4:16:41AM
I'd take Alves by KO/TKO in the first or second. Alvarez may be able to hang standing and trading for a short time, but Alves is the superior striker and would eventually catch Eddie with something hard. Eddie's best chance would be to try and control it on the ground. That being said he'd have to get it there first. Thiago has good takedown defense and Eddie would have to worry about a vicious knee whenever he shot it. All that and the size advantage, and it wouldn't be looking like a good night for Alvarez.
MikeyG
12/24/08 4:23:42AM
anyone who picks alvarez is kidding themself
TheCatFather
12/24/08 5:02:12PM
Alves, no question about it.
loller90278
12/24/08 5:07:53PM
alvarez 100%. he has an excellent chin, and great wrestling. karo kept alvez down for a round so alvarez i think will just GnP him out.
MikeyG
12/24/08 5:28:21PM

Posted by loller90278

alvarez 100%. he has an excellent chin, and great wrestling. karo kept alvez down for a round so alvarez i think will just GnP him out.

that was about a year ago and karo couldnt hold him down for long anyway, and kos whos a better wrestler couldnt get him at all, besides alves outweights alvarez by 20lbs by fight time easy
Hendo67
12/24/08 6:16:43PM
Alves, lol.
higdon10
12/24/08 9:26:44PM
I'm gonna take Eddie Alvarez. But its damn near a toss up.
Wolfenstein
12/26/08 2:10:54AM
Eddie Alvarez used to fight at 170, until he lost to Nick "the goat" Thompson and decided to drop classes.

Assuming all parts being equal, I would still take Thiago. If he can avoid takedowns by Josh Koscheck and Matt Hughes, then he doesn't stand a chance in hell of getting this fight to the ground. This essentiallty becomes a standup fight and Thiago is more complete. Essentially muay thai vs boxing, in which I'll pick the thai boxer.
cmill21
12/26/08 2:24:38AM
I just think Alves would be way to big for him. Alverez is a big LW, but Alves is a HUUUGE WW.
lochie
12/26/08 2:26:00AM

Posted by cmill21

I just think Alves would be way to big for him. Alverez is a big LW, but Alves is a HUUUGE WW.

yeha mate Alves would kinda over power him i reckon
EvenFlow
12/26/08 1:26:11PM
It would not be a war it would be one sided, Thiago would knock him out early in the fight, like said before Muay Thai Vs Boxing = Muay Thai