Eddie Alvarez Is Now A Free Agent

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Eddie Alvarez Is Now A Free Agent
Biggavelli
11/4/12 6:11:13PM
Former Bellator lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez was given his release from a 90-day exclusive negotiating period with Bellator early, according to Alvarez. That makes him a free agent, and allows him to sign with any promotion - such as the UFC - if he elects to.

Bellator typically holds fighters to a 90-day window where they can match any offer received. Alvarez had his contract expire after a recent victory over Patricky Pitbull in October.

"Bjorn Rebney (Bellator CEO) was gracious enough to give us our release papers early, earlier than what we were contractually to get, he gave it to us (last) Friday," said Alvarez, talking with MMAInterviews.TV over the weekend. "So, we're going to try to move it along as fast as possible for myself and for Bellator. We'll see. Nothing's set in stone and I'm just waiting to see what happens."

LINK
infestructure
11/4/12 6:15:55PM
Eddie is UFC bound, no doubt
Budgellism
11/4/12 6:45:22PM
BuffaloDave
11/4/12 6:53:59PM

Posted by infestructure

Eddie is UFC bound, no doubt

kingsmasher
11/4/12 7:24:59PM
Well it was obvious he was gonna at the least be able to see what the UFC has to offer....

I just dont see a huge contract really cause the LW division is exciting for the most part already...Granted he has had exciting fights...Is he gonna boost pay per views? I doubt it

I just cant see Alvarez being so aggressive against guys like Cerrone, Pettis, Guillard,

I think Lombard got a big contract cause the division is weak for contenders and Silva title fights...
sbulldavid
11/4/12 7:56:59PM
Finally, not going to be a champion but he's going to be a fun fight on every card.
ghandikush
11/4/12 8:00:19PM

Posted by kingsmasher

Well it was obvious he was gonna at the least be able to see what the UFC has to offer....

I just dont see a huge contract really cause the LW division is exciting for the most part already...Granted he has had exciting fights...Is he gonna boost pay per views? I doubt it

I just cant see Alvarez being so aggressive against guys like Cerrone, Pettis, Guillard,

I think Lombard got a big contract cause the division is weak for contenders and Silva title fights...

TV cards hopefully
jae_1833
11/4/12 8:23:03PM
Frankie Edger was the poor man's Eddie Alvarez and look what he did in the LW division, it is going to take a dynamic and versatile opponent to stop him. Guillard and Guida will get beaten IMO, now a Cerrone / Pettis / Diaz is what it's going to take to slow him down.
JackHammerXXX
11/4/12 9:24:31PM
UFC sign him, put him on the super bowl card against maybe the Varner/Guillard winner or Cerrone if Pettis doesn't make it to their long rumored showdown.
I think you showcase him on the big card against a "fun" matchup stylistically, and then give him a contender, like a Maynard.
BuffaloDave
11/4/12 9:31:06PM

Posted by kingsmasher

So the UFC won't give Eddie a big deal, because there is a lot of excitement in the division already??? What great logic,

Maybe Lombard got a big contract because he was one of the best, if not the best MW not in the UFC.
prophecy033
11/4/12 9:46:58PM

Posted by BuffaloDave

Posted by kingsmasher

So the UFC won't give Eddie a big deal, because there is a lot of excitement in the division already??? What great logic,

Maybe Lombard got a big contract because he was one of the best, if not the best MW not in the UFC.

ghandikush
11/4/12 9:49:23PM

Posted by BuffaloDave

Posted by kingsmasher

^^ this would be true of Alvarez but dont expect much from him in the sense of a title.
Sir_Karl
11/4/12 9:56:11PM
I hope Eddie signs with the UFC. There are a great many opponents who would be good match ups for him. There are a few match ups that would be very exciting. In the end though he lost quite a bit of stock when he lost to Michael Chandler. He gained a little back when he beat Aoki and the Pitbull but he still isn't worth what he would have been if he would have beaten Chandler. I don't think he is good enough to be UFC champ but I do feel he can get by the mid tier guys and some of the upper tier guys. Hopefully wee will find out soon enough.
Budgellism
11/4/12 10:03:49PM

Posted by BuffaloDave

Posted by kingsmasher

It baffles me man. Post after post.

Good stuff from you as always Dave
prozacnation1978
11/4/12 11:05:45PM
Eddie vs Diego Sanchez at 156
Book it
jlock003
11/4/12 11:35:46PM
My mind went two directions. The first was I can think of several exciting match ups for Eddie and I'd be interested to see how he holds up against the UFC's top 10. The second thought was that it kind of solidifies the thought that even the UFC's biggest competition is functioning as a feeder program to the big boys which is ok on a certain level but is sad from a competition level. Belator puts on great cards and they by no means are without talent but Eddie was obviously the most interesting option to fight Chandler again and it leaves their lightweight division hurting specifically after the pitbull KO. I'm a big UFC fan and I watch everything I can find on axstv, online, and on mtv2 transitioning to spike but it's rough on the competition when one company has so much weight to throw around.

This entire post is assuming Alvarex is heading to ZUFFA but I think we've pretty well all made that assumption by now.
frizzzlecake
11/5/12 12:12:31AM
Eddie is going to the highest Bidder. UFC could be the highest bidder, but they have been known to shoot lowball offers. Nothing's set in stone yet we will see.
ghandikush
11/5/12 9:12:10AM

Posted by jlock003

My mind went two directions. The first was I can think of several exciting match ups for Eddie and I'd be interested to see how he holds up against the UFC's top 10. The second thought was that it kind of solidifies the thought that even the UFC's biggest competition is functioning as a feeder program to the big boys which is ok on a certain level but is sad from a competition level. Belator puts on great cards and they by no means are without talent but Eddie was obviously the most interesting option to fight Chandler again and it leaves their lightweight division hurting specifically after the pitbull KO. I'm a big UFC fan and I watch everything I can find on axstv, online, and on mtv2 transitioning to spike but it's rough on the competition when one company has so much weight to throw around.

This entire post is assuming Alvarex is heading to ZUFFA but I think we've pretty well all made that assumption by now.

Things will pick up. The UFCs format wont be dominant forever.
george112
11/5/12 9:25:17AM
The UFC will make a push I think. But WSOF should to imo. They need all the big names they can get. Invest . It will pay off
Bythar
11/5/12 10:20:36AM
The UFC would have jumped on this with all kinds of offers, but the Chandler loss will probably keep them reserved.
ghandikush
11/5/12 10:58:14AM

Posted by george112

The UFC will make a push I think. But WSOF should to imo. They need all the big names they can get. Invest . It will pay off

I think Alvarez will choose the UFC for the biggest show. BUT, WSOF needs Alvarez because he's ranked and exciting. Can crush!!!

Theoutlaw08
11/5/12 11:58:51AM

Posted by BuffaloDave

Posted by kingsmasher

His post was a jaw dropper yet again. Great come back BuffaloDave. Couldnt have said it better myself.
kingsmasher
11/5/12 3:10:55PM

Posted by BuffaloDave

Posted by kingsmasher

Yeah exactly I will explain it to you since I can tell your slow by your avatar...

They paid Lombard big money thinking he would bring excitement to a rather boring division without any contenders to Silva....Look at the division...How many exciting fights are there really...One in Anderson Silva....Weidman will beat him but not might be exciting for most people..They hoped Lombard would come in crush Boetsch and set a Silva Lombard fight and get their investment back...

Did you think Bisping and Stann was exciting? I am sure Dana thoguht Lombard would come in and look like an action hero...but he didnt..

So an action exciting fighter at middleweight helps sell fights in that division....Now he sucked so basically you cant even let the guy be a Co-main Event on a pay per view....You also have to give him guys that will make him look good...Basically you will never see him fight a wrestler AGAIN...Palhares really? Guy has zero stand up...

Now the LW division....Its exciting...Most fights Are great do you really need to add Alvarez for 300 thou a fight and cause havoc from other fighters....How bout even 200 a fight....How bout 150?

Your train of thought is ridiculous...guys can bang and get paid for stuff like that and it will just lead this sport to the early days...make it more of a joke...no game planning just swing for the fences....Believe it...Thats what Dana wants..WWE antics and swing for the fences...so you can watch that with your raccoon catching show in between..and Dana has you on his finger as a little puppet...

Doesnt matter after Alvarez faces a couple guys in teh UFC he wont matter...

I still bet he doesnt even come to the UFC...Hed rather look like a champ than face the best competition...
kingsmasher
11/5/12 3:16:42PM
I doubt Alvarez coomes to UFC....I think he gets KOed by Pettis and def Cerrone first round....

His chin is way too weak to invest in big money IMO....Pitbull rocked him and looked like backed off...Cerrone woulda swarmed and subbed his overrated self...
Poor_Franklin
11/5/12 3:44:52PM
oh kingsmasher getting a little rude calling Dave slow. Keep insulting people kingsmasher. it enhances your argument & the mods love it!!!!

The only sign I've seen of Dave being slow is that he is a Buffalo fan.
Theoutlaw08
11/5/12 4:25:37PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

oh kingsmasher getting a little rude calling Dave slow. Keep insulting people kingsmasher. it enhances your argument & the mods love it!!!!

The only sign I've seen of Dave being slow is that he is a Buffalo fan.

Ding ding ding. Franklin, great post. HAHAHA. Love it.
The comments just keep getting better. It's entertaining. I can't believe the things he is saying...wait, yes I can believe it, cause it happens in every thread. HAHAHA
Bubbles
11/5/12 5:17:03PM

Posted by kingsmasher
Yeah exactly I will explain it to you since I can tell your slow by your avatar...

They paid Lombard big money thinking he would bring excitement to a rather boring division without any contenders to Silva....Look at the division...How many exciting fights are there really...One in Anderson Silva....Weidman will beat him but not might be exciting for most people..They hoped Lombard would come in crush Boetsch and set a Silva Lombard fight and get their investment back...

Did you think Bisping and Stann was exciting? I am sure Dana thoguht Lombard would come in and look like an action hero...but he didnt..

So an action exciting fighter at middleweight helps sell fights in that division....Now he sucked so basically you cant even let the guy be a Co-main Event on a pay per view....You also have to give him guys that will make him look good...Basically you will never see him fight a wrestler AGAIN...Palhares really? Guy has zero stand up...

Now the LW division....Its exciting...Most fights Are great do you really need to add Alvarez for 300 thou a fight and cause havoc from other fighters....How bout even 200 a fight....How bout 150?

Your train of thought is ridiculous...guys can bang and get paid for stuff like that and it will just lead this sport to the early days...make it more of a joke...no game planning just swing for the fences....Believe it...Thats what Dana wants..WWE antics and swing for the fences...so you can watch that with your raccoon catching show in between..and Dana has you on his finger as a little puppet...

he's slow because of his avatar??? You aren't one to talk

There are a bunch of exciting fighters at MW: Bisping, Vitor, Leben, Belcher, Stann, Franklin, Wanderlei, Le, etc etc. And yes, Bisping vs Stann was a good fight. They brought Lombard in because, at the time, he was the best MW in the world not signed to Zuffa and Silva needed new faces to fight. Yes it helped he was an exciting fighter, but that isn't the sole reason...if they only sign exciting fighters then explain the signing of Antonio McKee.

There aren't many wrestlers towards the top of MW anyways besides Munoz and Weidman...Shields too (now that Sonnen is at LHW), so yes it may take a while. Lombard called out Munoz so there's a wrestler he WANTS to fight. So what if Palhares can't strike, it doesn't make him any less dangerous.

what the hell does your last paragraph have to do with anything here? Apply the first line of it to yourself
BuffaloDave
11/5/12 10:20:49PM

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by BuffaloDave

Posted by kingsmasher

Doesnt matter after Alvarez faces a couple guys in teh UFC he wont matter...

I still bet he doesnt even come to the UFC...Hed rather look like a champ than face the best competition...

LOL, You can tell I'm slow because of the pick in my avatar, Good thing it's a pick of the Turtle Man, But what's your excuse??

Why are you so wrapped up on excitement being the factor why Lombard was paid good?? It's not that hard to understand that the reason he was paid, was for nonetheless the reason I originally stated. There's actually quite a few people who seem to agree with me as well.

My train of thought is ridiculous?? Just re-read pretty much anything you post.

It may sound like I'm copping out of a debate here with you, but if anything you posted there made any sense to anyone but yourself, I might have actually dabbed in it a little more. So, as the old saying goes, "You can't fix stupid"