Eddie Alvarez and Bellator mend fences, book Michael Chandler rematch for PPV

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Eddie Alvarez and Bellator mend fences, book Michael Chandler rematch for PPV
Next Page »
grappler0000
8/13/13 8:04:11AM
Former Bellator MMA lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez's contract dispute is over, and he's returning to the California-based promotion to face the man who took his title.

The rematch with reigning titleholder Michael Chandler will serve as the co-main event of Bellator's first-ever pay-per-view offering, Bellator 106, which takes place Nov. 2 at California's Long Beach Arena. Former UFC champs Quinton "Rampage" Jackson and Tito Ortiz clash in the headliner...

Full Story
Poor_Franklin
8/13/13 8:06:08AM
grappler0000
8/13/13 8:15:51AM
They say compromise, but I'm willing to bet that the (now) lack of legal recourse changes things. With the PPV, Bellator can now fulfill the UFC's offer word for word. The difference will be that he would still make a ton more from a UFC PPV, but Bellator will be technically making good with their promises. Who knows, maybe they even threw him a little extra cheddar to help smooth over the situation. More importantly, this is a much needed matchup for them if they want to have any chance at a successful PPV event.
VILLIN
8/13/13 8:47:06AM
Disappointed that we won't get to see where Alvarez really stands amongst the best LWs in the world but I think this was a good decision career wise for Eddie. Sitting out for a couple of years while the case got tossed around in the courts would only hurt Eddie's career, perhaps even derail it completely.
Goatenstein
8/13/13 9:26:09AM

Posted by VILLIN

Disappointed that we won't get to see where Alvarez really stands amongst the best LWs in the world but I think this was a good decision career wise for Eddie. Sitting out for a couple of years while the case got tossed around in the courts would only hurt Eddie's career, perhaps even derail it completely.

He gets to fight the best LW, Michael Chandler.
jae_1833
8/13/13 9:34:30AM
And then...that is the point, there's nothing left there for him...UFC LW roster is soo deep it's ridiculous. Even if he started low, think of these guys and him matching up: Guida, Guillard, Maynard, and Gomi. That is their lower ranked guys at LW right now, those guys vs Alvarez is fucking sweet and everyone knows it.
jjeans
8/13/13 9:45:47AM

Posted by jae_1833

And then...that is the point, there's nothing left there for him...UFC LW roster is soo deep it's ridiculous. Even if he started low, think of these guys and him matching up: Guida, Guillard, Maynard, and Gomi. That is their lower ranked guys at LW right now, those guys vs Alvarez is fucking sweet and everyone knows it.

Guida's a featherweight
sparky
8/13/13 10:08:52AM
Chandler is going to destroy Eddie in the rematch

WAR CHANDLER
Webbie
8/13/13 10:14:28AM
Should be an excellent rematch. I can't imagine all the time off will help Alvarez, though.
Dberntson
8/13/13 10:29:39AM
This should be the main event, not Tito vs Rampage. Tito vs Rampage is a dissapointing co-main event, let alone the main event.
BillsNewAccount
8/13/13 10:41:30AM

Posted by Dberntson

This should be the main event, not Tito vs Rampage. Tito vs Rampage is a dissapointing co-main event, let alone the main event.

They need to get Arlovski v Big Tim 7 to headline. I've been dying to see the rerererererematch.
FastKnockout
8/13/13 10:49:26AM

Posted by Goatenstein

Posted by VILLIN

He gets to fight the best LW, Michael Chandler.

I don't think it's fair to say that when he's beating guys like Rickels, Hawn, and Gono. They're good, but their not the best out there.
LooseCannon
8/13/13 11:24:47AM
Good to see that Eddie Alvarez is getting back in the cage instead of sitting a courtroom for another year or 2. This is now the blueprint for fighters to just wait out the negotating & matching periods until they're completely a free agent.
prophecy033
8/13/13 11:43:23AM
Now this card is shaping up
GDPofMPG
8/13/13 11:47:16AM
Good news. Good fight, one of the hottest possible rematches in the MMA world. They could make this the main event and probably should. Doesn't mean they have to promote Rampage vs Tito any less at all. UFC 79 was Chuck vs Wanderlei 100% no question. That GSP fought the main event in no way at all hid that.

Quote: Ariel Helwani saying that a solid source told him the deal with Alvarez's contract is that if he loses this fight, he can walk away and go to the UFC. If he wins, he has to do the trilogy.

Savvy business.
airkerma
8/13/13 12:02:34PM

Posted by GDPofMPG

Good news. Good fight, one of the hottest possible rematches in the MMA world. They could make this the main event and probably should. Doesn't mean they have to promote Rampage vs Tito any less at all. UFC 79 was Chuck vs Wanderlei 100% no question. That GSP fought the main event in no way at all hid that.

Quote: Ariel Helwani saying that a solid source told him the deal with Alvarez's contract is that if he loses this fight, he can walk away and go to the UFC. If he wins, he has to do the trilogy.

Savvy business.

Doesn't really sound like anything is working out for Ole Eddie these days.
GDPofMPG
8/13/13 12:06:25PM

Posted by airkerma

Posted by GDPofMPG

Savvy business.

Doesn't really sound like anything is working out for Ole Eddie these days.

This is the best thing for Eddie, to languish for years with out competing is the last thing he wanted to do, here he gets to try and avenge a tough loss in one of the biggest rematches that can be made of a FotY quality tussle from 2011 and get paid again with a clear options presented at the conclusion of this contest. I believe him when he says he is very happy by this deal working out.
pmoney
8/13/13 12:32:27PM
I'm stoked for this news! And if those alleged stipulations are accurate, those are beneficial as well. Either way, he gets a chance to go to the UFC if he wants. If he wins the trilogy, he can go over with confidence and a blemish avenged. If he loses, he goes over probably still in the top 15.

Also, RE: Chandler.... dude looked insane against Rickels. He finished the caveman in seconds... If he fights like that in the rematch, I see another FOTY candidate, and possibly a KO of Alvarez.
grappler0000
8/13/13 12:47:20PM
That stipulation has little benefit to Eddie. If he loses, he gets his freedom, but how much would Zuffa offer to a fighter that is 0-2 against Bellator's current champion? Also, there would be no shortcut to the title any longer. If anything, they line up the baddest dudes in the division with the least name value for him to fight. So, there may be an exit clause, but outside of some strange ending to the 2nd fight, Bellator still has the upper hand IMO.
GDPofMPG
8/13/13 12:51:32PM

Posted by grappler0000

That stipulation has little benefit to Eddie. If he loses, he gets his freedom, but how much would Zuffa offer to a fighter that is 0-2 against Bellator's current champion? Also, there would be no shortcut to the title any longer. If anything, they line up the baddest dudes in the division with the least name value for him to fight. So, there may be an exit clause, but outside of some strange ending to the 2nd fight, Bellator still has the upper hand IMO.

What is his value if has to wait another 12 months before even knowing if he can fight outside of Bellator? He's gonna be a 2012 top ten fighter who hasn't seen action in over 24 months and ride in like he never missed a day? Fighting is the best thing he can do next to fighting and winning, regardless of where he fights.
airkerma
8/13/13 1:10:33PM

Posted by GDPofMPG

This is the best thing for Eddie, to languish for years with out competing is the last thing he wanted to do, here he gets to try and avenge a tough loss in one of the biggest rematches that can be made of a FotY quality tussle from 2011 and get paid again with a clear options presented at the conclusion of this contest. I believe him when he says he is very happy by this deal working out.

You might be right, but truly the best thing for Eddie would have been to make the switch to the UFC without the legal issues intervening. The way I see it is
1. Eddie can't fight anywhere else, so he has to take this fight
2. If Eddie loses, will that then hurt his negotiations with the UFC and will his stock diminish?
3. If Eddie wins, he is still locked in Bellator for at least one more fight which, after all is said and done, probably won't be completed until spring '14.
It just seems like a lose lose to me, win: you're stuck, lose: your value decreases
grappler0000
8/13/13 2:02:01PM

Posted by GDPofMPG

Posted by grappler0000

What is his value if has to wait another 12 months before even knowing if he can fight outside of Bellator? He's gonna be a 2012 top ten fighter who hasn't seen action in over 24 months and ride in like he never missed a day? Fighting is the best thing he can do next to fighting and winning, regardless of where he fights.

It's an improvement, but only a marginal one. He could have caved and fought a long time ago if fighting was his top priority/objective here. It may be the best option on the table at the moment, but the slight improvement doesn't make up for all of his time already lost IMO.
prophecy033
8/13/13 2:03:10PM

Posted by grappler0000
how much would Zuffa offer to a fighter that is 0-2 against Bellator's current champion? Also, there would be no shortcut to the title any longer.

See Chael Sonnen
Franklinfan47
8/13/13 2:04:10PM
Am I the only one whos just happy to see Alvarez fighting again? If hes stuck in Bellator he my as well be doing what he does best.

Great fight
Budgellism
8/13/13 2:28:34PM

Posted by Franklinfan47

Am I the only one whos just happy to see Alvarez fighting again? If hes stuck in Bellator he my as well be doing what he does best.

Great fight

You're not the only one. I'd much rather see him fight the best but as long as I get to watch him fight again, I'm excited. Chandler/Alvarez II is going to be awesome so I can't complain too much.
prozacnation1978
8/13/13 4:57:48PM
Eddie now not going to the UFC sucks.
He made right decision.
grappler0000
8/13/13 6:08:32PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by grappler0000
how much would Zuffa offer to a fighter that is 0-2 against Bellator's current champion? Also, there would be no shortcut to the title any longer.

See Chael Sonnen

I'm not saying shortcuts will be gone, just that Eddie won't be getting one. If the guy that lost to Bellator's champion twice comes in and doesn't have to go through a gauntlet, then upper management at Zuffa needs a swift kick to the head. It just wouldn't happen at this juncture.
prophecy033
8/13/13 6:13:28PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by grappler0000

See Chael Sonnen

I'm not saying shortcuts will be gone, just that Eddie won't be getting one. If the guy that lost to Bellator's champion twice comes in and doesn't have to go through a gauntlet, then upper management at Zuffa needs a swift kick to the head. It just wouldn't happen at this juncture.

Michael_Corleone
8/13/13 8:46:07PM

Posted by Dberntson

When you pay that kind of money for Tito and Rampage, you squeeze every bit out of that juice and get your money's worth. You cannot justify paying that much money for them not to promote and be in the main event.
Webbie
8/13/13 9:14:49PM

Posted by Michael_Corleone

Posted by Dberntson

When you pay that kind of money for Tito and Rampage, you squeeze every bit out of that juice and get your money's worth. You cannot justify paying that much money for them not to promote and be in the main event.

As much as I think Chandler/Alvarez 2 is more deserving of the main event slot, I agree with this.

Great fighter or not (and like him or not), Tito Ortiz's name actually puts a lot of asses in seats. Rampage should attract his fair share of viewers as well.
Pages: [1] 2