What to eat before training

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » What to eat before training
Aaronno9
9/9/08 8:04:43AM
So, im going to my first training session tomorow at a local mma club, and im pretty much shitting my pants at this point

Anyways, im out of shape but the guys said to come along anyways and just going to the classes and rolling with them with them will help get me back in shape, so im wondering what should i be eating, or not be eating before i go. I mean, i really dont want to be their having ate something i shouldnt and to last even shorter than i normally would.

Im a vegetarian btw so no meat.
Jackelope
9/9/08 9:37:19AM
I'm no nutrition expert, but I like to eat some good carb loads a couple hours before I work out. Maybe some pasta for lunch or something like that. I also like to eat bananas the day of a big work out (usually in the morning) to make sure my muscles don't cramp up too bad. After the workout make sure you get some protein in your system to feed your muscles for recovery.

One thing I would definitely stay away from is any heavy dairy products within an hour or two before the workout. You'll toss your cookies all over the mat and nobody wants that
Aaronno9
9/9/08 9:52:17AM

Posted by Jackelope

I'm no nutrition expert, but I like to eat some good carb loads a couple hours before I work out. Maybe some pasta for lunch or something like that. I also like to eat bananas the day of a big work out (usually in the morning) to make sure my muscles don't cramp up too bad. After the workout make sure you get some protein in your system to feed your muscles for recovery.

One thing I would definitely stay away from is any heavy dairy products within an hour or two before the workout. You'll toss your cookies all over the mat and nobody wants that

Haha. Ok, cheers
JiuJitsuGirl
9/11/08 11:59:47PM
Don't eat anything crazy like Chinese or a big lunch... but you want to have something so...

Bananas are great (they help you NOT cramp up during training by increasing potassium). So they are a good 'power' snack for am workouts and mid-day snacks... (eat about 20 min before training)

When it comes to food try to give yourself 2/3 hours after a full meal

Make sure you have both water and a drink like Gatorade

HAVE FUN!!! and Listen to your body... in a couple of week you'll know yourself exactly what food works well for you

Tizzy
11/10/08 4:11:40PM
I can't even eat 2-3 hours before a workout without feeling sick even in my best shape. If you are worried then I would stick to fruits and vegetables... stuff that digests easier.
The-Don
11/10/08 4:59:28PM
many of the various nutrition bars are pretty light but give you what you need.. not the diet ones the meal replacement ones
HMA123
11/11/08 11:47:55AM
Everyones body is diffrent, you'll have to see for yourself, try out things.

Decent stuff i'd recomend:
Bananas
Almonds
Any fruit really..
Pb n J
Pre workout shake?

IMO, very personal preference on how long to eat and what to..
I personally could eat a turkey and cheese sandwich 20 minutes before training and not feel anything, some people could eat 2 hours before training and go there and feel horrible..