Early stoppages: UFC 95

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Early stoppages: UFC 95
nickcuc547
2/22/09 1:26:09PM
What do you think about the "early stoppages" last night. Personally I thought pretty much all of them were fine, maybe a little early but none of them would have made a difference in the outcome because every fighter was on the way out. Also I thought koscheck and struve (especially struve) looked like babies by complaining. I thought Kos was definitely out and would have been out cold about 2 seconds later if the ref didn't step in. Struve got dominated and completely out classed by dos santos ( i looke like an idiot for picking struve) he was not stopping anything and he got tagged about five times, he looked like the loser of the night for his complaining after. The worst stoppage of the night was Hardy vs. Markham because it was way too late, Rory took 2 or 3 unnecessary shots at the end. The Cobb Etim fight was the only one I thought was questionable but I don't think Cobb would have lasted much longer either.
SociopathX
2/22/09 1:35:11PM
Koscheck fight was stopped too early... YOu could see Kos go down and in a second or less bring his arms up to defend himself.

Anyone notice how the UFC has like 5 different refs for each card now. Why can't they just stick too 1 or 2 that know wtf their doing.

Franklinfan47
2/22/09 1:38:36PM
People complain about early stoppages until they start to complain about refs stopping the fight too late.

SociopathX
2/22/09 1:47:38PM

Posted by Franklinfan47

People complain about early stoppages until they start to complain about refs stopping the fight too late.

Wrong. The fight was stopped to early. period.

and just so it seems ... there are alot more fights stopped too early then stopped to late.

I can think of only 1 fight that I've watched that I ever thought might have been stopped to late and that's because there was actually like a pool of blood that had poured out of Lytle's head after Koscheck beat him for 3 rounds.
gartface
2/22/09 1:55:58PM
I thought in real time that the Kos fight was stopped early. After watching the replay like 10 times, he was after the first and second punches. The only reason he even was trying to "defend" himself was the fact that his head smacking off the mat woke him up.

He would have gotten stopped regardless, and the ref did the right thing by saving him. I don't want to hear the excuse "let me take my whooping like a man" Brandon Vera style, because the ref is there to ensure you don't get hurt. As Mauro Runallo always says "THE SAFETY OF THE FIGHTER IS PARAMOUNT BAS RUTTEN!"
EvenFlow
2/22/09 2:14:35PM

Posted by SociopathX

Really Doc? It sounds like you're the one who got hit.. thing is, you didnt, and you're not a ref so just become a ref and prove how much referee knowledge you have.

Posted by SociopathX
and just so it seems ... there are alot more fights stopped too early then stopped to late.

Get over it man not everyone has the same opinion on stoppages obviously, its all about the fighters safety not the internet people who constantly complain about stoppages and losses that dont even belong to them.

Posted by Sociopathx
I can think of only 1 fight that I've watched that I ever thought might have been stopped to late and that's because there was actually like a pool of blood that had poured out of Lytle's head after Koscheck beat him for 3 rounds.

Which shows you're true bias on this topic if thats the only fight you think was too late.
higdon10
2/22/09 2:16:01PM
I think that the Koscheck fight was stopped early. He was preparing to apply guard when the fight was stopped.
Bowen50
2/22/09 2:21:38PM
i didn't have a problem with any of the stoppages to be honest. the only one you can make a case for in my opinion was Koscheck but as soon as the uppercut connected he was out. he woke up when his head hit the mat but i don't think he was all there. his eyes were wide open but you could tell he had no clue where he was. if anything the ref just prevented him from taking unnecessary damage.
Franklinfan47
2/22/09 2:34:18PM

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by SociopathX

Really Doc? It sounds like you're the one who got hit.. thing is, you didnt, and you're not a ref so just become a ref and prove how much referee knowledge you have.

Posted by SociopathX

Get over it man not everyone has the same opinion on stoppages obviously, its all about the fighters safety not the internet people who constantly complain about stoppages and losses that dont even belong to them.

Posted by Sociopathx

Which shows you're true bias on this topic if thats the only fight you think was too late.

Exactly
JimiMak
2/22/09 2:49:58PM
Kos suffered the worst stoppage ever. That ref needs to just go away for ever. That was absolutely horrible. Being an apologist for the ref is the only way to see it otherwise. He was intelligently defending himself. He was nowhere close to being finished. That ref shoulda been lynched on his way out, and I'm not a Kos fan.
MMA_Alex
2/22/09 3:14:59PM

Posted by JimiMak

Kos suffered the worst stoppage ever. That ref needs to just go away for ever. That was absolutely horrible. Being an apologist for the ref is the only way to see it otherwise. He was intelligently defending himself. He was nowhere close to being finished. That ref shoulda been lynched on his way out, and I'm not a Kos fan.

That was the worst over-reaction to a call ever. "lynched"? Really? Clearly, there are a bunch of people here on the playground who realized that Kos was in la-la land and would have just taken extra, unnecessary punishment had the fight continued. He was definitely not intelligently defending himself. Don't forget that Thiago pretty much waltzed over to him. If Thiago had pounced like you usually see from people, Kos would have been out for good.

I thought all the stoppages were fine and justified.
cmill21
2/22/09 3:28:57PM
If it makes anyone feel better I said Struve has bad stand up
nickcuc547
2/22/09 3:49:42PM

Posted by JimiMak

worst stop ever??? you're delusional, watch the fight again and watch how he is completely out of it, if the ref doesn't step in kos gets blasted again and goes unconscious. you couldn't be more wrong on this one.
NinjaCyborg
2/22/09 4:05:41PM

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by JimiMak

worst stop ever??? you're delusional, watch the fight again and watch how he is completely out of it, if the ref doesn't step in kos gets blasted again and goes unconscious. you couldn't be more wrong on this one.

I agree Nick!

Koscheck was completely out. When he hit the mat he had no idea where he was and it appeared that his arms were slightly flailing in some sort of muscle memory reaction, but Kos was not pulling guard.
keith-hackney1
2/22/09 5:36:43PM
The thing is guys, i was there last night, when i saw kos get clocked and tumble to the mat, his eyes did roll back as if he'd been knocked out. When he hit the mat, fair enough his arms were bent and not straightened out, he almost immediately threw his legs up to pull guard if thiago had got on top to start pounding away. Kos went out, if only for a split second, thats all the ref saw, his legs buckled and he tumbled down. I thought is was stopped early but having watched it again, i think the kos stoppage was a job well done by the referee. He'll be back anyways. Refs do get a lot of stick in mma, like any sport, they make mistakes, though i feel 9 times out of 10 the refs in the UFC make the right call.
RampageOwnedYou
2/22/09 6:45:32PM
KOS KOS KOS
That the only one?

How about Grice last ppv, how about Struve?
The problem is, new fighters seem to be stopped way before guys who have fought in UFC for awhile. Its a shame, I am begining to get fed up with all the early stoppages. How about a standing 10 count? Something needs to be put in place, because people train way to hard and long to get screwed over by the officials.
NinjaCyborg
2/23/09 1:01:56AM

Posted by RampageOwnedYou

KOS KOS KOS
That the only one?

The problem is, new fighters seem to be stopped way before guys who have fought in UFC for awhile. Its a shame, I am begining to get fed up with all the early stoppages. How about a standing 10 count? Something needs to be put in place, because people train way to hard and long to get screwed over by the officials.

Honestly I think you're on to something. I don't know about a standing 10 count specifically, but I think you're right in that there needs to be some device in place that could end the possibility of an early or late stoppage.
Unfortunately the standing 10 count itself is what makes boxing much more dangerous and even deadly than MMA. Guys in boxing are given a chance to get up and take much larger beatings, creating the risk of "Second Hit" syndrome, in which guys receive a concussion while already having a concussion, and that is fatal.
SociopathX
2/23/09 1:39:53AM

Posted by RampageOwnedYou

KOS KOS KOS
That the only one?

Hit the nail on the head....

Was the point im trying to make is Koscheck or whichever fighter trains for 4 months or more to have this ONE FIGHT. Some of the previous posters cry about fighter safefty... its a MMA FIGHT. the fighters want to fight. The refs shouldn't be calling fights unless it's a No brainer that he is indeed out. Kos had a right to be pissed after that fight. (see Rampage tko of Silva back in December) Thats a legit fight stoppage.

Kos got caught with a great shot but His oppenent was not even about to jump on him, he could have pulled guard and possibly pulled out of that and pulled out the win. I'm not a huge Kos fan but let them fight it out. If Thiago would have pounced on him and hit him a few times then fine, by all means. But we will never know now....