How early would you retire if you hit the lottery?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » How early would you retire if you hit the lottery?
4u2nv
12/18/08 4:02:33PM
Reading on the ohio workers who hit the 200 something million jackpot, one of the women is retiring at 45. For some reason, I think thats early. Simple question, how early is too early?
emfleek
12/18/08 4:05:52PM
It's never too early if:

A.) You're set financially.

and

B.) You won't miss working.
keith-hackney1
12/18/08 4:31:38PM
200 million dollars, i think i would quit my job by way of a text message, just to **** my boss over that little bit harder. Fly out to vegas with a bunch of mates for the next UFC event, then set up a meeting with Fetitta brothers- telling them i have 100 million dollars to invest in the UFC. i would have to join the million dollar trail in the hunt to sign fedor for a UFC HW showdown. If winning 200 million dollars meant i could give the fans a fedor UFC contract with a small portion of my winnings, i would do it !!!!
DCRage
12/18/08 4:38:03PM
Probably within a couple years once some money starts coming in-I'd take the annuity option. In the long run you'll ultimately get more than with the cash option.
4u2nv
12/18/08 4:42:45PM

Posted by keith-hackney1

200 million dollars, i think i would quit my job by way of a text message, just to **** my boss over that little bit harder. Fly out to vegas with a bunch of mates for the next UFC event, then set up a meeting with Fetitta brothers- telling them i have 100 million dollars to invest in the UFC. i would have to join the million dollar trail in the hunt to sign fedor for a UFC HW showdown. If winning 200 million dollars meant i could give the fans a fedor UFC contract with a small portion of my winnings, i would do it !!!!

wow ur a really nice guy to do all that! Hopefully i can be one of ur pals going to vegas to see a ufc event there! lol
Wolfenstein
12/18/08 5:08:36PM
Immediatley. I couldn't imagine having over a mill in my bank account and going to the old 9-5 desk job.

Depending upon how large the lump sum is, I would probably go for the lump sum. Although you lose half the money, you have 20 years to invest it, and most likely would make more in the long run, than you would, had you waited.
TheCatFather
12/18/08 5:38:02PM
I'm 31 right now and if I hit tomorrow, I RETIRE TOMORROW!
keith-hackney1
12/18/08 6:01:16PM

Posted by 4u2nv

Posted by keith-hackney1

wow ur a really nice guy to do all that! Hopefully i can be one of ur pals going to vegas to see a ufc event there! lol

200 mill, hell, i'd take everyone on the playground to see the UFC in vegas !! Were the real fans !!

postman
12/18/08 6:22:46PM
I wouldn't be doing my current job I might open my own gym. Maybe hire Cro Cop to teach striking, Hendo for Wrestling, Nog for jitz that could be fun. They could bring their friends.
DJDark41
12/18/08 7:49:08PM
If I hit the lottery, my retiring would all depend on my job. If I love my job, I probably wouldn't quit, but if I didn't like it, I would be gone next day. But, I would do my best to not be one of those idiots who blows 250 million by buying a Ferarri for every person I've ever met in my life, getting 25 solid gold toilets in my solid gold house, and other such ridiculous spending habits. Probably just buy some new hockey gear and a brand new guitar set-up and invest the rest of it(probably in the UFC...)
warglory
12/18/08 7:57:18PM
If I hit the lotto I'd create my own record label and music festival thus becoming my own boss. Why not have the best of both worlds? You aren't a lazy ass and you are taking advantage of your wealth to still be an active member of the workforce.

However, first and foremost, I'd pay off my 50,000 college debt. It's sad when getting out of the negative instead of buying new shit is your dream when acquiring big money.
dannyfrank
12/18/08 8:15:56PM
if it was me, i would definitely quite work. why keep working if you dont have to or dont want to? some people do like to keep working though. i heard about a cop who won the lottery, so he bought a lamborguini with the money and now uses that as his squad car
bobbydoomocculta
12/18/08 8:50:53PM
I'd retire on a hundred grand... you can always get another job when the money runs out... **** work... I'd live off cheap wine and potatoes... yeah... **** work...
drink cheap wine, eat potatoes and smoke rollies... **** you can even grow your own potatoes, grapes and tobacky...

yeah dude... I'm there...
hippysmacker
12/18/08 10:12:22PM
I'm 37 and I would retire today, if I hit the lotto.
RampageOwnedYou
12/18/08 10:21:22PM
yeah im with most of these guys. I'd retire right away. Im 29, and have been working since 13. Im ready to retire now...im not a lotto guy, but i may start now. Sports betting aint cutting it for me. lol
Aaronno9
12/18/08 10:25:08PM
Id retire today.
holt8081
12/18/08 11:05:32PM
I would retire know ................Im 30
Twenty20Dollars
12/18/08 11:06:35PM
you retire when you die
backalley101
12/19/08 4:08:14AM
The same day
ThaAxeMurderer7
12/19/08 6:04:48AM

Posted by DCRage

Probably within a couple years once some money starts coming in-I'd take the annuity option. In the long run you'll ultimately get more than with the cash option.

I def. see where you are coming from but I would have to take the big lump sum. I've heard that your winnings are non willable if you go the annuity route so in the case of something bad happening to me, I would want my family to not have to worry financially.
SpiderSilva
12/19/08 12:08:43PM
I would retire when I was fired I have come to the conclution that because Im a manager I wouldstep down to an associate of my company and become one of those associates who don't do anything untill they are about to get fired but I would get fired
pv3Hpv3p
12/19/08 2:25:18PM
I would retire that day and I'm only 27... Just because I'm not working doesn't mean I'm sitting around all day playing cribbage with some old guys by the pond in the back...

I'd travel, work towards getting a jjbb, start curling more often, maybe go to culinary school, start skydiving, get my motorcycling license, buy a yacht, go fishing all over the world, check out that underwater hotel they're building in Dubai... Go to the super bowl, a world cup game, the olympics, the Satiama Super Arena for some Dream or Sengoku action... This list could go on and on... It pisses me off when I think of all the cool shit I could be doin if I wasn't working and could afford it
casey64
12/19/08 3:15:52PM
That same day!!!
jakeiceman
12/21/08 9:01:23AM

Posted by dannyfrank

if it was me, i would definitely quite work. why keep working if you dont have to or dont want to? some people do like to keep working though. i heard about a cop who won the lottery, so he bought a lamborguini with the money and now uses that as his squad car

Ha ha! Hell yeah man thats going to be me one day.

In all reality boys, were doing pretty good without the hundreds of millions, we have good friends (even if they are mostly online) We have our health (errr......maybe not) and we are all married to gorgeous big breasted women

Ha ha ok so I would die for 200 million, geez it would be the life.
breakdown5
12/21/08 11:17:58AM
Hell yes I'd retire. And then I'd get me my own country. Like Sealand . That would be sweet.
Jackelope
12/21/08 11:43:00AM

Posted by DCRage

Actually you would get less. Because the amount of money would never go up, but inflation always would. I saw a study on this somewhere once... I'll try and find it

Meh.... this will do. It basically states that if you invest some of your money you will have made more in 7 years than you could have by taking the annuity