help with dvd player

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » help with dvd player
papercut
2/19/09 6:03:27PM
I need help to identify a problem with my family's dvd player. the problem is it won't play some dvds that we own, such as jurassic park 3 and hairspray,(don't flame me, its my little sisters movie). my dad was trying to watch jp3 today and for some reason it wouldn't play. its part of a box set and it plays 1 and 2 but it won't play 3. and we have the international version of "leon the proffesional" it plays the picture but no sound. any ideas whats wrong...? thanks for any advice in advance.
DCRage
2/19/09 6:19:39PM
My first 2 guesses are either a problem with the disc themselves or perhaps a dirty laser. For the first one, check the disc for smudges, scratches, etc. For the latter, you can buy DVD cleaning kits at electornics/video stores (they generally run $5-10) that'll clean the laser and usually just takes a couple minutes.
mkiv9secsupra
2/19/09 9:34:18PM

Posted by DCRage
For the latter, you can buy DVD cleaning kits at electornics/video stores (they generally run $5-10) that'll clean the laser and usually just takes a couple minutes.

based on experience the cleaners have very minimal effect and will eventually not even work... my advice is you get what you pay for. i bought a dvd and surround sound apex combo for 100 dollars a couple years ago and the dvd player quit after a yer. i bought a 250 sony system after that and it still works perfectly. Go ahead and spend the money on something with good revews rather than cheap and easy.
beerman77
2/19/09 10:23:16PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by DCRage
For the latter, you can buy DVD cleaning kits at electornics/video stores (they generally run $5-10) that'll clean the laser and usually just takes a couple minutes.

based on experience the cleaners have very minimal effect and will eventually not even work... my advice is you get what you pay for. i bought a dvd and surround sound apex combo for 100 dollars a couple years ago and the dvd player quit after a yer. i bought a 250 sony system after that and it still works perfectly. Go ahead and spend the money on something with good revews rather than cheap and easy.

i also have qowned a apex surrond sound.. with the same issues.. not always plays all dvd.and messes up every time i use any remote in the room ( erratic volume) . very loud when operating.. junk it.. spend some more money on something better. they are getten so cheap these days with the introduction of blue ray.. dvd will slowly go to the way side just like cassets and vhs..
Twenty20Dollars
2/19/09 10:59:34PM
because the movie sucks haha idk.

sorry im bored out of my mind and the weekend needs to get here!
MMAcca
2/20/09 1:32:54AM
the issue with 'leon the professional' will probably just be that one of your scart sockets is loose, so just double check they are properly plugged in