Dustin Hazelett's Breakout Year Gets More Black

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dustin Hazelett's Breakout Year Gets More Black
DCRage
9/17/08 4:38:39PM
In the continuation of a breakout year for UFC's Dustin Hazelett, he received his biggest reward to date yesterday: His black belt in Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu. He was one of 6 students to receive their black belts yesterday from trainer/teacher Jorge Gurgel at his MMA Academy.

Article

I think congrats are in order for Dustin and all of them.
wiggum
9/17/08 4:46:22PM
i think he earned it based on that burkman submission alone! LOL...that was amazing
Kugel
9/17/08 4:53:57PM
That was an awesome submission on Burkman. I know they don't always get a good wrap, but the Team Jorge Gurgel guys are pretty tough. They definitely have good BJJ.

Congratulations to Dustin! He is a very tough guy at 170, and I believe will be a contender one of these days.
DCRage
9/17/08 5:11:03PM
To me Dustin is quite underrated although his recent win over Burkman definitely moved him up the ranks. If he keeps this going he could be a great sleeper next year-if he wins his next 3-4 fights I could see him in the title picture by the end of '09.
saemskin
9/17/08 5:37:18PM
I think Dustin Hazelett is an amazing JJ fighter and those guys are my favorite fighters. JJ guys that have tranistioned their game to all aspects of mma but still maintain an amazingly strong offensive JJ base. I think that's the key too, being an offensive jiu jitsu figheter like Frank Mir Rousimar Palahres etc...

That loss he had to Koscheck was a good loss for Dustin, he learned from it how to battle wrestlers and fighting over his head experience wise was another good trial by fire for him. This fella's ground game is so amazing, I can see him in title contention within 2 years. All he has to do is work on his striking and he'll be a complete package

Defnintely one of my favorite fighters after that leapfrog armbar he pulled off against Burkman.
Red-Dragon
9/17/08 6:34:26PM
Great leapfrog armbar but I cant ever see him holding the title. There are just too many better allrounders than him which is the key.
DevMahon
9/17/08 6:54:23PM

Posted by Red-Dragon

Great leapfrog armbar but I cant ever see him holding the title. There are just too many better allrounders than him which is the key.

I think he's a little young to proclaim that he'll never have the belt. He certainly needs to work on the other aspects of his game, but his BJJ is outstanding, and he seems to be working on the rest of it. It'll take at least a few years before we can see whether or not he hits a ceiling.
Gladiator
9/17/08 6:57:14PM

Posted by Red-Dragon

Don't forget that he rocked Josh Koscheck in their fight, something GSP didnt even do in their fight, and almost put him away. his standup is solid and is always improving, I see him being champion someday. hes only 22 and already racking up an impressive resume, could be the next GSP
pinoymixplaya
9/17/08 10:59:36PM
I would've wanted to see Dustin fight Mike Swick next since they are both coming up in the division.
xtra_chewy
9/18/08 2:35:48AM
Hazelett's ground game is way underrated IMO, give him a year or two and he will be a contender pho sho!
jocka
9/18/08 8:04:50AM
He does have a lot of potential thats for sure plus he is so young so much time to get beater with his wrestling and Stand up. I don't know if he is gonna hold the belt one day but he will be a contender without a doubt. Plus the kid sounds so down to earlth too great kid!