Due to tonights events...

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » Spoilers Forum » Due to tonights events...
nubby
9/23/07 1:29:57AM
As of tonight all pride fighters in the LHW division that have not competed in the UFC are going to be removed from my rankings. I have been suspicious of the HW division but now I am convinced that the Pride LHW's might have been fluffed the same way as the HW's.
loonytnt
9/23/07 1:32:45AM
woohoo great fight forrest
low-blow
9/23/07 10:27:07AM
I totally agree, Pride fighters are definetly looking like shit, fluffed to say the least. The pride fighters seem small and out of shape compared, with the exeption of Jackson. Shogun needs to run some laps and drop down a weight, ufc 76 will be the last I pick a pride fighter over a ufc fighter.
Ydoc
9/23/07 3:33:26PM
I like this logic. Since the UFC is the only big org left you really shouldn't be listing too many guys that aren't in the UFC on any rankings. It's like including WNBA stats along side NBA stats.
cmill21
9/23/07 3:41:17PM

Posted by Ydoc

I like this logic. Since the UFC is the only big org left you really shouldn't be listing too many guys that aren't in the UFC on any rankings. It's like including WNBA stats along side NBA stats.

Ummm what? So your saying K-1 is to the UFC what the WNBA is to the NBA? Thats not even a half fair comparison. If K-1 signs Barnett, Fedor, Yvel, Arona, they'll be a very very respectible org. They have better LW's then the UFC to.
Lord_Lenny
9/23/07 5:23:51PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Ydoc

Ummm what? So your saying K-1 is to the UFC what the WNBA is to the NBA? Thats not even a half fair comparison. If K-1 signs Barnett, Fedor, Yvel, Arona, they'll be a very very respectible org. They have better LW's then the UFC to.

very respectable indeed, but better lightweights? i personally, dont think so. with the exception of a few they are a bunch of overrated japanese guys that have only fought other overrated japanese guys
pv3Hpv3p
9/24/07 2:03:47PM

Posted by Lord_Lenny

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Ydoc

very respectable indeed, but better lightweights? i personally, dont think so. with the exception of a few they are a bunch of overrated japanese guys that have only fought other overrated japanese guys

JZ and Shaolin are not japanese and not overrated... I think Calavanti would defeat if not gutcheck any LW fighter right now...

As for taking Pride fighters off the top10 lists... I am starting to agree... It's just tough to take off guys like LilNog, Arona(who I can't personally stand) or even Sokodjou off the list...
nubby
9/24/07 2:36:31PM
I might be inclined to agree with K-1 fighters being included however with the way the pride fighters have been performing in the UFC, I cannot bring them into my rankings. Even Barnett, who had success in the UFC, was stripped of his title from steroid use. I just think that from the way things are going you can't legitimately argue that they are better than their counter parts in the UFC.

Excuse the MMATH but if someone like Crocop who has absolutely dismantled barnett and gave fedor the fight of his life has been systematically destroyed in the UFC, how can you put stock in someone like Fedor or Barnett?

In my eyes there are two men left that have a chance at redeeming pride. Big Nog and Fedor. One or the other has to go on a winning streak and completely run the heavy weight division. For all the other divisions, I just don't see anyone with ability enough to go through Sherk, Penn, Florian, Stevenson, Hughes, Serra, GSP, Sanchez, Parisyan, and Koscheck. Basically WW and LW as divisions just won't allow someone like Gomi, who Penn, and Diaz both defeated, to come in and be successful. Middle weight is pretty much the only division besides HW that has a big question mark on it.
TNunley
10/17/07 12:16:26PM
Considering the fact that K-1 involves ZERO ground game, I'm amazed many people actually call it Mixed Martial Arts. IMHO I don't think any K-1 fighter should be ranked top 10... not unless they actually defeated top MMA fighters in true MMA style fighting.
cmill21
10/17/07 7:21:36PM

Posted by TNunley

Considering the fact that K-1 involves ZERO ground game, I'm amazed many people actually call it Mixed Martial Arts. IMHO I don't think any K-1 fighter should be ranked top 10... not unless they actually defeated top MMA fighters in true MMA style fighting.

Lol do you even know what K-1 hero's is? Go look it up then return to edit your post.
cmill21
10/17/07 7:27:17PM

Posted by nubby

I might be inclined to agree with K-1 fighters being included however with the way the pride fighters have been performing in the UFC, I cannot bring them into my rankings. Even Barnett, who had success in the UFC, was stripped of his title from steroid use. I just think that from the way things are going you can't legitimately argue that they are better than their counter parts in the UFC.

Excuse the MMATH but if someone like Crocop who has absolutely dismantled barnett and gave fedor the fight of his life has been systematically destroyed in the UFC, how can you put stock in someone like Fedor or Barnett?

In my eyes there are two men left that have a chance at redeeming pride. Big Nog and Fedor. One or the other has to go on a winning streak and completely run the heavy weight division. For all the other divisions, I just don't see anyone with ability enough to go through Sherk, Penn, Florian, Stevenson, Hughes, Serra, GSP, Sanchez, Parisyan, and Koscheck. Basically WW and LW as divisions just won't allow someone like Gomi, who Penn, and Diaz both defeated, to come in and be successful. Middle weight is pretty much the only division besides HW that has a big question mark on it.

I just think your blind to whats going on with Cro Cop, he's not the same guy that fought in Pride, not even close. As for lumping everyone in with Cro Cop's performance seems like a bit of tunnel vision, Rampage, Hendo, Nog, and Silva have done well. Also you ignore the fact that Jens Pulver in his prime wen't over and got destroyed in pride, as have many many others. I see it as your just seeing one side of it, and thats how Cro Cop and Shogun(one fight) have done in the UFC, and not what others have done and what the UFC guys who wen't to Pride have done.
fat2rak005
10/19/07 3:58:57AM
keep in mind these fighters coming over from PRIDE have not fought in quite some time. give them some time to get use to the cage and get out of the ufc jitters and then pass judgment. as far as cro cop, hes just not the same. i really hope he returns to his old self, but i think once his contract is up hes gonna retire or atleast go to a different organization.