Drunken Boxing/Kung fu?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Drunken Boxing/Kung fu?
dxpaintball8000
10/28/08 6:13:28AM
Anybody know where I can find video tutorials on drunken boxing? I cant seem to find any and I would get a trainer if I didn't live in the middle of no where here in alaska. Can anyone help me out???
fullerene
10/28/08 6:01:42PM
Why do you want to study that style?

There seemed to be sereral hits on Amazon like this one:

Drunken Kung Fu DVD
SpiderSilva
10/28/08 6:51:04PM
everybody was kung fu fighting
Wolfenstein
10/28/08 8:16:41PM
This is a video of some drunken kung fu vs Kyokushin Karate.

link
dxpaintball8000
10/29/08 1:09:18AM

Posted by dxpaintball8000

Anybody know where I can find video tutorials on drunken boxing? I cant seem to find any and I would get a trainer if I didn't live in the middle of no where here in alaska. Can anyone help me out???

I want to study it because it is so uncommon and confusing for any real fight scenario. I mean it kinda messes up any gameplan your attacker had
dxpaintball8000
10/29/08 1:33:08AM

Posted by SpiderSilva

He wasnt really that good of a drunken boxer. much too stiff haha
fullerene
10/29/08 8:05:42AM

I want to study it because it is so uncommon and confusing for any real fight scenario. I mean it kinda messes up any gameplan your attacker had

What if the attacker's plan was to shoot a double leg, dump you on the ground and start punching at your head? How would having unpredicable hand and foot motion on your feet help you?
Jackelope
10/29/08 8:27:44AM
Not to mention most street fights are brawls and not fights where opponents keep space long enough to confuse each other with feints and fancy footwork. Most street fights involve emotion, so they're in your face from the start grabbing and swinging.

Still, if the man wants to learn some drunken kung fu it's all good. It'd be something cool to learn
SpiderSilva
10/29/08 9:00:34PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

He wasnt really that good of a drunken boxer. much too stiff haha

yes he needed a few more shots of Taquila before the match started
shiz-nitzel
10/29/08 9:36:05PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

link

they look like they keep getting knocked out, if you know what I mean.
The-Don
10/30/08 11:02:43AM

Posted by shiz-nitzel

Posted by Wolfenstein

link

they look like they keep getting knocked out, if you know what I mean.

ok from what I know of Druken boxing style... the movements are supposed to be unpredictiable.. this guy was obviously not very good.. the karate guy was able to time him after a few moments and land his shots.. Druken style was not overly impressive in this case.. but this was not a very good example of it..
Svartorm
10/30/08 10:51:41PM
Drunken boxing doesn't work. Period.

While the concept behind it, that you move unpredictably and not only avoid being struck but setting yourself up to attack, is cool, its beyond what most people can manage. Most people have have a hard enough time setting up a decent offensive stance and watching your opponents movements, without doing so in a swaying, stumbling fashion. The mental energy of "performing" would be much better spent actually setting up an attack, and being unpredictable doesn't really mean anything in a fight anyways. There are pro-fighters that make their career off of a one-two punch, and don't seem to suffer for it, so the idea you need to be that unpredictable in a street fight is flawed.

So, if you want to learn it for the sake of knowing something exotic and kind of cool, it wouldn't be a bad idea at all, but for the sake of street fighting, its not worth pursuiting.
Aaronno9
10/31/08 12:27:10AM
Drunken boxing = getting taken down.

Not worth it bud.
shiz-nitzel
10/31/08 1:19:16PM
do you have vodka in alaska?...........
RampageOwnedYou
11/2/08 7:28:22PM
That video with the drunken boxing vs the Karate guy was a joke. That drunken boxing, looked like some first timer who just finished watching Jackie Chans DRUNKEN MASTER.
Man, that was hard to watch, the guy didnt do anything right, except for make me laugh.
Jackelope
11/2/08 8:24:26PM

Posted by RampageOwnedYou

That video with the drunken boxing vs the Karate guy was a joke. That drunken boxing, looked like some first timer who just finished watching Jackie Chans DRUNKEN MASTER.
Man, that was hard to watch, the guy didnt do anything right, except for make me laugh.

Well I'm not sure if they were using typical kung fu ranking systems, but a white sash and a red sash vs. a black belt is quite a mismatch
cmill21
11/2/08 8:42:46PM
As soon as you can time it or get the guy to stall for a second with a feint you can hit him with anything. If I was going against someone in comp who used drunken boxing I would kick his leg off, since everyone I've ever seen who uses it leaves there lead leg out very far so they can lean back.
Omega
11/5/08 2:03:41AM
*slaps forehead:

I'm not going to bother reading this past the 5th post. Listen, as a kung-fu fighter let me tell you that drunken systems are nothing but a novelty. Their premise is al wrong for today's society. If you want to learn it because it'll be fun. Fine have fun doing it. I know one drunken form. Besides that you're wasting your time.
The-Don
11/5/08 5:31:10PM

Posted by Omega

*slaps forehead:

I'm not going to bother reading this past the 5th post. Listen, as a kung-fu fighter let me tell you that drunken systems are nothing but a novelty. Their premise is al wrong for today's society. If you want to learn it because it'll be fun. Fine have fun doing it. I know one drunken form. Besides that you're wasting your time.

BRAVO!!
chris91301
11/10/08 5:32:13PM
it might be confusing at first, but by the second time you fight you are going to get clubbered.

I actually do know a bit of drunken style and I'll tell you there is just too much unnecessary motion in there that can be timed just too well against you to make this an effective combat technique. Dont get me wrong if you run into an untrained drunk asshole in the bar who needs a lesson you certainly will do well as a master of the art. But if you run into any stand up guy with equal amount of training in whatever discipline you are going to get pummelled.
SeanSalmonisGod
11/16/08 12:05:15PM
TC I think you should call Bo Rai Cho