Is drugs bad for weight loss?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Is drugs bad for weight loss?
Taylor8766
7/15/08 1:36:13PM
Okay, I was just wondering will drugs like marijuana affect your ability to lose weight?
Rush
7/15/08 1:48:35PM
I've never smoked anything in my life, but pot increases your appetite, which can't help.

In general any toxin (drugs, alcohol, other chemicals) is hard on your liver. You liver helps your digestion and fat metabolism (and metabolism in general). Eat healthy and drink lots of water to keep your liver working well.
The-Don
7/15/08 2:19:43PM

Posted by Rush

I've never smoked anything in my life, but pot increases your appetite, which can't help.

In general any toxin (drugs, alcohol, other chemicals) is hard on your liver. You liver helps your digestion and fat metabolism (and metabolism in general). Eat healthy and drink lots of water to keep your liver working well.

Excellent advice... if your training for MMA or any sport and want to be on top of your game and avoid getting suppensions and such.. just avoid all drugs.. train hard.. eat properly...
HMA123
7/15/08 2:25:40PM
I don't think it has any effect on weight loss - chemically. Obviously, for some it can make them lethargic, which can lead to weight gain, but that's not a direct physical effect of the drug on your metabolism. And it increases appetite, which if you don't control yourself can lead to weight gain.
7/15/08 3:42:58PM
This video should clear things up for you...............Link
holt8081
7/15/08 3:43:42PM
you must be the only person in the world that does not get the munches while your high.
The-Don
7/15/08 4:14:25PM
well read the topic.. "Is drugs bad... " it should be Are drugs bad.... it just shows how bad drugs is....
HMA123
7/15/08 6:05:40PM

Posted by The-Don

well read the topic.. "Is drugs bad... " it should be Are drugs bad.... it just shows how bad drugs is....

kMMAs
7/16/08 1:41:29PM
No. The only reason it would have any negative effect is most people crave sweets or fried foods when they get the munchies. If you smoke, then house down some Burger King with some lafy taffy and a bag of skittles everyday, then yeah, it will catch up with you.

But smoking itself wont effect your weight, what you choose to eat can.
chris91301
7/16/08 2:32:48PM
weed - official sponsor of munchies around the world.

usually you'll get hungry from smoking, but no it doesnt affect weight loss otherwise. my friends smoke A LOT, and all are skinny, as long as you work out you will be fine.
The-Don
7/17/08 9:47:26AM
well one thing I have heard not sure if there are studies to back it up.. but alot of body builders back in the day used to take a hit or two after a big workout to help thier muscles relax and speed the recovery... for guys this big burning thousands of calories a couple of hitys is not big deal.. they are trying to pack on calories so they can work out hard and they control thier diets like nazis for us average people somking weed could set you back big time if your trying to cut weight... unless your taking just a hit or two... so yo do not end up cleaning out the fridge.. but then what point is there in taking a hit or two unless it is more for the few medical qualities pot does have for instance to assist with the muscle recovery..

( can anyone find any studies that talk about pots effects on muscle recovery after a work out? )
VictimSix
7/17/08 9:55:33AM
It's only going to effect your weight if you let it. I've been between 143-150lbs for the past 3 years and have had no problems what so ever keeping my weight in check. You have to eat right and train, same as you would if you didn't smoke. Although if you ever plan to make it on a pro scene break the habit it now because it's not worth getting caught for smoking pot. It might be a stupid law in alot of peoples eyes but it is what it is. Smoke n' roll baby, smoke n' roll.
Diamondback2
7/27/08 2:17:09PM
I can't comment on hardcore weight cutting (ie: Water Cutting)

But when i was in high school i went from 260 to 170 while smoking an OZ a day. Obviously i was WAYYY obese so it was mainly changing my diet that caused the weight loss, but weed didn't hinder it.

Over the last 7 months i have gone from 220 to 175. And like last time, i smoked every day.

You just have to learn to control the munchies and find things that are filling, delicious, and not that bad for you. Peanut Butter toast is my cup of tea lol. It fills me up, and is really alot healthier than something like chips or fast food. Subway's $5 footlongs are great too, alot of food, but if you get the right thing is not bad at all.

I can't really comment on other drugs also as i have only ever smoked weed.
casey64
7/27/08 5:30:21PM
It has to be.
The-Don
7/28/08 5:40:26PM

Posted by Diamondback2

I can't comment on hardcore weight cutting (ie: Water Cutting)

But when i was in high school i went from 260 to 170 while smoking an OZ a day. Obviously i was WAYYY obese so it was mainly changing my diet that caused the weight loss, but weed didn't hinder it.

Over the last 7 months i have gone from 220 to 175. And like last time, i smoked every day.

You just have to learn to control the munchies and find things that are filling, delicious, and not that bad for you. Peanut Butter toast is my cup of tea lol. It fills me up, and is really alot healthier than something like chips or fast food. Subway's $5 footlongs are great too, alot of food, but if you get the right thing is not bad at all.

I can't really comment on other drugs also as i have only ever smoked weed.

Subway is a great place espically the $5 foot longs.. you can make it two meals for $5 by only eating half.. and feel free to throw on lots of veggies just becareful with the meats and condiments.. Most subway's have low or fat free mayo.. ask for that.. Spicy mustard is fat free avoid the honey mustard and other stuff... on wheat bread...

PB toast is great espically if you use wheat bread... high protien... fills you up... you your body uses more energy to butrn it off then it gives you... all around good... if you want sprinkle a little cinamon on it for a change avoid sugar...
dust
8/6/08 3:42:29PM

Posted by Taylor8766

Okay, I was just wondering will drugs like marijuana affect your ability to lose weight?

Did you skip English class often?