dropping weight in a month

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » dropping weight in a month
Salty
1/16/08 11:43:27PM
Ok, I plan on competing in the New England NAGA event in febuary, most likely as a beginner seeing as i've only been doing this for about 6 months. this will be my 2nd no-gi tourny, the last one i didn't try to cut any weight and just went super heavy because i felt it was to close to be able to drop 20 pounds in time.

Well this time i have over a month to attempt to drop to heavy weight (200-224.9)
as of tonight leaving the gym i weighed in at 249.25 pounds. so i need to cut about 20 pounds by the 23rd of febuary. I've never had to attempt cutting weight before, in highschool when i wrestled i was 195 wrestling 215, and seeing as i was the only one close to that weight I didn't bother trying to go for a lower weight class...

so my question, what do I need to do to drop this, i know its going to take alot of hard work, and i might not be able to make that weight in which case i would just compete at Super Heavy again. (i was the lightest super heavy at the last event as well) but id much rather get down to the 224 by the weigh-ins.
loller90278
1/17/08 3:01:36AM
eat six smaller portions through out the day to keep your metabolism working, excercise very often, do not eat after 8pm. and for a guy your size it wouldn't be too hard i think to lose 5-10lbs of water weight the day of weigh ins..
StevenSeagal
1/17/08 8:53:15AM

Posted by loller90278

eat six smaller portions through out the day to keep your metabolism working, excercise very often, do not eat after 8pm. and for a guy your size it wouldn't be too hard i think to lose 5-10lbs of water weight the day of weigh ins..

Great tip.

To add to this, Id also reccomend taking a look at the Velocity Diet thread. Im making a log of 28 day experiment diet I was reading about. PM me if u have questions.

Right now im like 207. I have cut to 185 for a Jersey NAGA tourny myself a couple of times before. I could give u a actual breakdown of cals and what exactly to eat if u gave a profile of urself. But to start, elimanate all carbs other than ur post workout simple carbs needed to restore muscle glycogen. It is a pain in the ass but u only have a month. This will shrink up ur fat cells and get water and garbage out of them. Id say you can eat some animal protein, not a shake after 8. Cuz animal protein doesnt effect ur insulin level as does a quick acting whey isolate. Key is to keep ur blood sugar and insulin as low as u can.

Def post back if u need more.
loonytnt
1/17/08 11:08:04AM
this is going be easy

wake up get a 20min run in

say 8am ish-eat a small meal

10am-eat a lil something

-12pm-eat some chicken and rich

2pm -eat a lil something

5pm-eat lil something

7 or 8 idk when you train eat some chicken and rice and some veg

now dont eat junk, work out hard everyday, a few days before maybe a week start to cut water

props this
StevenSeagal
1/17/08 11:11:05AM
If your super serious, like loony said; get the am cardio in. do not eat before u do it. must be on an empty stomach while ur blood sugar is low. am cardio works wonders.
Salty
1/17/08 11:54:00AM
the thing about trying to eat a bunch of small meals a day is i can't at work, im not allowed to have food/drink on the floor, i work at a metal fab shop in shipping/receiving so theres aluminum dust all over the place anyway so eating back here isn't the greatest of ideas. and they don't want water bottles or anything back here because apparently they think we are dumb enough to mistake a acatone bottle for a water bottle... which after further review i can see happening because some of the people here...well... yea.....arn't the brightest of people....

i've been trying to get myself to do some am cardio, i leave for work at 6am everyday, my gym is down the street and it opens at 5am, so if i can get myself outta bed and ready to go by then i can get the cardio in im just gonna be exhausted for the first few days haha
StevenSeagal
1/17/08 12:17:52PM

Posted by Salty

the thing about trying to eat a bunch of small meals a day is i can't at work, im not allowed to have food/drink on the floor, i work at a metal fab shop in shipping/receiving so theres aluminum dust all over the place anyway so eating back here isn't the greatest of ideas. and they don't want water bottles or anything back here because apparently they think we are dumb enough to mistake a acatone bottle for a water bottle... which after further review i can see happening because some of the people here...well... yea.....arn't the brightest of people....

i've been trying to get myself to do some am cardio, i leave for work at 6am everyday, my gym is down the street and it opens at 5am, so if i can get myself outta bed and ready to go by then i can get the cardio in im just gonna be exhausted for the first few days haha

Can u at least go out to ur car and scarf some stuff down every once n a while? Ur success rate will be a lot better if u can expand ur cals with more meals.
Smd277
1/17/08 2:09:20PM
theyre is the obviuous dieting but dont forget the cardio when your bored do 5-10 pushups and sit ups, crunches etc
Salty
1/24/08 11:10:14AM
Well it was going good for the first week, lost a few pounds, but last night at the gym i busted me knee up pretty bad.. i got taken down and some how looked like CC when gonzaga knocked him out. didn't bother me to much last night but today its killing me, going to the hospital after work today to make sure its not serious... so much for NAGA
fullerene
1/24/08 1:27:52PM
Sorry to hear that, but that type fo thing does happen from time to time. Best of luck in getting better and getting to NAGA some day.
Salty
1/26/08 2:12:55AM
yea, i've busted so many things already and have only been at this for about 6 months haha, broke my orbital sparring, got thrown and had my elbow pop out, and i found out today that nothing serious is wrong with my knee, the doctor thinks its just a sprain, which is good because i really didn't want to have to get surgury or anything if i ****** it up bad... its not that swollen, not black and blue and i can put all my weight on it without pain so it should be good to go in a few weeks