Is Dream a success?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Is Dream a success?
big_timmy
7/22/08 2:35:40AM
Can Dream be classified a success yet, or is it too early to know for real?
Mchubb316
7/22/08 2:42:08AM
I think so far it is a success. I do believe to take it to the next level they need to add more fighters in the heavier weight classes.
balack_o-bama
7/22/08 2:42:15AM
No, it is not a success and it probally never will be in the US.

I love the tourney format and all but come on. MOST of the people in the organization are just mma vagabonds with no real future in the sport. There main event fighters are mostly people who can't hack it in the eww f sea, They got cro cop kicking cans of cola around and people really want to watch this. Not me, i'd rather watch a spider silva highlight on youtube.
mk1630
7/22/08 3:56:06AM

Posted by balack_o-bama

No, it is not a success and it probally never will be in the US.

I love the tourney format and all but come on. MOST of the people in the organization are just mma vagabonds with no real future in the sport. There main event fighters are mostly people who can't hack it in the eww f sea, They got cro cop kicking cans of cola around and people really want to watch this. Not me, i'd rather watch a spider silva highlight on youtube.

Yea cuz if their not in the ufc their not worth watchin right? And if you dont think Aoki, Hellboy or Alvarez can make it in the ufc....you must not have seen the ufcs lightweight division. Great post bro!
nickcuc547
7/22/08 6:44:07AM
so far it has been a success, but if they want to compete with the ufc they need to add some more talent. right now their lightweight division is awesome and they have a decent middleweight division, other than that their other division's need some stars.
Purge
7/22/08 7:17:32AM
The need more WW, LHW and a little more HW talent.
ncordless
7/22/08 8:44:27AM
I haven't heard about the TV numbers for DREAM 5 in Japan, but they haven't been doing as well as expected so far.

As far as the fights go... they have been great. You'd have to be pretty dumb to think otherwise with Alvarez's fights against Hanson and Kawajiri on the books.

As for LHW and WW... why would they need to try and get divisions that would be lacking in talent going?
pdanke
7/22/08 8:56:29AM
I think Dream is a great promotion, a welcome break from the bombast of UFC/EliteXC/Affliction.

The tournament style is a great way for fighters to establish themselves. Other organizations should seriously consider it.

If they can get a decent crop of fighters and have tournaments in the other weight classes, they should be a great addition to the mma world.

Hopefully they are making enough money to stay afloat.
rabbit915
7/22/08 9:22:25AM
I like the idea of Dream but i have two main issues that keep me from being a big fan.

I dont mind the Grand Prix if they are spread out over several events. But i dont think a fighter should ever fight more than once in a night. The LW tourney showed why. Eddie Alvarez should have won it (assumming MMAth works) or Aoki should have won it. I dont like the idea of alternates and i dont like the idea that a fighter ever enters the ring at less than 100%.

I also cannot stand how they add fights at the weigh-ins. With all this money and influence, they cant put fights together ahead of time?
Purge
7/22/08 10:21:33AM

Posted by rabbit915

I also cannot stand how they add fights at the weigh-ins. With all this money and influence, they cant put fights together ahead of time?

i agree with this, when PRIDE was still going, Minotauro said his brother Rogerio, only found out about his fight, one week before. it.
juanez13
7/22/08 10:37:32AM
on Inside MMA they said DREAM was drawing poor ratings in japan, and that DREAM 5 was a a very important event because they needed to draw people for the finals, and that could decide alot. So i really dont know how truly successful they have been, but so far they've put on great cards.
copcopps
7/22/08 11:51:33AM
Dream is by far the 2nd best Promotion out there IMO, Elite XC may get more hype but its seems wayyyyy to Professional wrestling and boxing-esque.

Plus any promotion that has a title fight on a card that's not the main event looses status in my book

PS Don't give me Kimbo was a marketing tool, Slice didn't need a main event slot to draw.
SpiderSilva
7/22/08 12:01:08PM
Aoki- I would love to see in the UFC

Hellboy- I don't know why he is not in the UFC

Alvarez-Will most likely come to the UFC

That what I think of those guys who wouldn't want to see Akoi/BJ although after the other day I really think BJ would KO Akoi
Twenty20Dollars
7/22/08 12:15:46PM
I think Dream is kinda becoming the new Pride
shockwave
7/22/08 12:20:00PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

Aoki- I would love to see in the UFC

Hellboy- I don't know why he is not in the UFC

Alvarez-Will most likely come to the UFC

That what I think of those guys who wouldn't want to see Akoi/BJ although after the other day I really think BJ would KO Akoi

joachim said he'd rather not sign over his soul....i think these guys are fine in dream, there probably making more money

and i would say that dream is a success....they've taken the place of pride and they may not be the popular in the US yet, but in Japan Dream is right where pride left off
Purge
7/22/08 2:17:44PM
The reason DREAM is nto yet seen as a success, is because it's seen as the new PRIDE. But many of PRIDE's elite are not there, and the company needs time and money to fill in the blanks.

Hopefuly they use the money earned from DREAM 5 well.
dinex
7/22/08 5:11:26PM
I think the events have been great. But they haven't done to well in the ratings. And the ratings is what dictates whether or not this will be considered a success in Japan. But at least they're moving forward with DREAM5 getting better ratings than their first network card. Will be interesting to see the ratings when they finally get their biggest draw Kid on a card.