Dream Pulled from Primetime TV

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dream Pulled from Primetime TV
Bemin
4/24/08 9:03:29PM
Bad news for MMA in Japan.

In a less-than-dreamy scenario, Fight Entertainment Group's Dream MMA brand has been ousted from primetime television on the Tokyo Broadcasting System.

The change comes after the debut edition of Dream garnered lackluster ratings in a make-or-break scenario for FEG and TBS.

The event grabbed only an 8.9 percent rating average on TBS in primetime, according to Japan's Video Research Ltd. The telecast's peak was a 12.7 for the Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic bout against Tatsuya Mizuno (Pictures), which was edited into the main event slot due to the no-contest debacle in the Shinya Aoki (Pictures)-Gesias Calvancante (Pictures) fight -- the show's true main event. TBS was fifth out of the six major Japanese networks during the time slot, besting only the perennial sixth-place finisher, TV Tokyo.

The ratings were crucial for the primetime continuation of FEG's MMA product. Rumors within the Japanese MMA community surfaced late last year suggesting that TBS could take FEG's Hero's promotion out of primetime due to sagging, lackluster ratings.

Although FEG's restructuring of its MMA program and the invention of Dream were celebrated by hardcore MMA fans, the move was not an altruistic one. Rather, it was an attempt to revitalize FEG's MMA product and ignite interest on television.

Link
cmill21
4/24/08 9:33:10PM
Yeah this is due to Hero's not to Dream. I have been told that they will be back on TBS by the time the LWGP final rolls around if they keep up what they did in the first Dream broad cast. This is a bonus for us here in North America though! We can now get it on PPV!
nickcuc547
4/24/08 10:02:33PM
all the pride nuthuggers are crying in a corner.
cmill21
4/24/08 10:22:41PM

Posted by nickcuc547

Lol why? It's better for us since we'll get to see it live on TV instead of MMA-TV or maybe HDNet for those who have it.
jae_1833
4/24/08 10:58:18PM
1 more step closer to the UFC monopoly
Trench777
4/25/08 2:16:38AM

Posted by nickcuc547

ROFL...this was exactly what I was thinking.

T777
CornishMMA
4/25/08 5:55:04AM
Pffffft Yehhhhhhh ............... i mean all those guys who liked PRIDE and wanted to see top ranked fighters fight each other are just stupid arent they
Kracker_Jap
4/25/08 10:29:41AM

Posted by CornishMMA

Pffffft Yehhhhhhh ............... i mean all those guys who liked PRIDE and wanted to see top ranked fighters fight each other are just stupid arent they

Ya but the guys who nuthug on the UFC actually were the fans who were able to see top ranked fighter fight each other (not cans or freak shows)
Thank god Dana and Zuffa were able to buy out Pride.....

Not to mention any kind of cut on Japanese TV is a huge Hit on a Japanese promotion.......
cmill21
4/25/08 6:50:23PM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Posted by CornishMMA

Ya but the guys who nuthug on the UFC actually were the fans who were able to see top ranked fighter fight each other (not cans or freak shows)

Not to mention any kind of cut on Japanese TV is a huge Hit on a Japanese promotion.......

You didn't like Cro Cop vs Fedor, Fedor vs Nog, Shogun vs lil nog, Wand vs Rampage, and the list goes on and on and on. lol.
Kracker_Jap
4/25/08 11:10:38PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Posted by CornishMMA

You didn't like Cro Cop vs Fedor, Fedor vs Nog, Shogun vs lil nog, Wand vs Rampage, and the list goes on and on and on. lol.

YES I DID

I also liked Hendo vs Silva Forrest vs shogun , Chuck vs wandy so on ....... LOL