Dream Middleweight Tourny Alalysis & Predictions

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Dream Middleweight Tourny Alalysis & Predictions
hotrodttt
5/3/08 4:36:51PM
I'll give my thoughts and Predictions on the Middleweight Tournament

Now obviously there's been some debacles with the Frank Trigg situation, the Manhoef situation but they have all been settled. The Tourney is in Great Shape as it is now.

Melvin Manhoef vs Ralek Gracie

If Ralek wants to Win he'll have to weather the storm and work his Takedowns and Jui Jitsu but I don't think it'll happen. Melvin via 1st Round T(KO)

Here is my seeding after the Elimination Round

1. Gegard Mousasi
2. Melvin Manhoef
3. Dong Sik Yoon
4. Jacare
5. Sakuraba
6. Zelg Galesic
7. Taiei Kin
8. Kiyoshi Tamura

So here are the match ups we're looking at

1 vs 8 - 1 def. 8
2 vs 7 - 2 def. 7
3 vs 6 - 3 def. 6
4 vs 5 - 4 def. 5

Semi Finals

Gegard Mousasi vs Jacare - Mousasi Wins via 1st Round T(KO)
Melvin Manhoef vs Dong Sik Yoon - Yoon Wins via 1st Round Submission

Finals

Gegard Mousasi vs Dong Sik Yoon

My Prediction for Tourney Winner - Dong Sik Yoon via 1st Round Submission

ICSlegend
5/3/08 4:56:33PM
How the hell is Jacare gonna beat Saku? Striking?

Anyway, Saku and Tamura are out of the tourney aren't they?

hotrodttt
5/3/08 5:16:01PM

Posted by ICSlegend

Jacare's Jui Jitsu is a lot better than Saku's and Yes, even though Jacare's hands are slower, they are more technical.
juanez13
5/3/08 6:39:46PM
Im taking Jacare to win the tourney, If not him i'd say mousasi takes it.

Im think Jacares toughest test in the tourney would be Mousasi.also I think Jacare would beat Dong Sik Yoon.
cmill21
5/3/08 10:29:44PM
I'd give Mayhem a shot at winning the tourney. If not him and Mnahoef's in it then I think he'd kill everyone but Jacare since his ground game is sooo limited.
hotrodttt
5/3/08 11:02:49PM

Posted by cmill21

I'd give Mayhem a shot at winning the tourney. If not him and Mnahoef's in it then I think he'd kill everyone but Jacare since his ground game is sooo limited.

I thought Meyhems Fight was just a Superfight
ICSlegend
5/3/08 11:49:06PM

Posted by hotrodttt

Posted by ICSlegend

Jacare's Jui Jitsu is a lot better than Saku's and Yes, even though Jacare's hands are slower, they are more technical.

Yeah...it's a lot better because Saku doesn't do any Jui Jitsu....he's a catch wrestler...you know, the style he used to sub and embarrass the famed Gracie family as well as UFC champions.

And Saku just went toe-to-toe with Karate Champ Andrews Nakahara without much trouble. Igor and CC couldn't KO him, Nog couldn't sub him, what is the lighter Jacare gonna do? Saku by dominating decision or TKO.
cmill21
5/4/08 12:07:32AM

Posted by hotrodttt

Posted by cmill21

I thought Meyhems Fight was just a Superfight

Supposed to be winner of his fight facing Zelg.
Franklinfan47
5/4/08 10:46:22AM
At this point I think Mousasi or Jacare will take it.
robnashville
5/4/08 12:17:33PM

about Kiyoshi Tamura - they'll want to book him against Saku and he'll duck like he always does......

here is how i think they will match them up for the second round.

Dong vs Jacare - Judo vs BJJ.... this always sells well to the Japanese crowd

Manhoef vs Kin - Two K-1 guys, so they can sell that is such to the japanese public

Mousasi vs Saku - I think they look to kill Saku they way they book him half the time so i figure they will give him the toughest match-up out there.

Mayhem Miller vs Zelg Galesic - a bit of the leftovers, but a good match up none the less.....
hotrodttt
5/5/08 8:01:55PM

Posted by ICSlegend

Posted by hotrodttt

Posted by ICSlegend

Yeah...it's a lot better because Saku doesn't do any Jui Jitsu....he's a catch wrestler...you know, the style he used to sub and embarrass the famed Gracie family as well as UFC champions.

And Saku just went toe-to-toe with Karate Champ Andrews Nakahara without much trouble. Igor and CC couldn't KO him, Nog couldn't sub him, what is the lighter Jacare gonna do? Saku by dominating decision or TKO.

True, Igor and Cro Cop didn't Finish him but they battered him and got a Doctors Stoppage, along with Smirinovis how he battered him, I think that Jacare would do something similar to Saku that Arona did, get Top Position and Pound hims out. And Jacare is the better Wrestler, working at Extreme Couture shaped him into a Great Wrestler, he took down an NCAA Wrestler in Ian Murphey.

And the reason why Saku handled Nakahara was because he was able to take him down, when Saku can't take someone down then he most likely looses the Fight. The only time I remember Saku doing well with a Striker on the Feet was against Vitor Belfort.
hotrodttt
5/5/08 8:02:29PM
I have always liked Dong Sik and I think he has the skills to give any Opponent a Problem.

You mark my words, I will never pick against Dong Sik in this Tourny
cmill21
5/5/08 10:33:43PM

Posted by ICSlegend

Posted by hotrodttt

Posted by ICSlegend

I hate to say it because Sakuraba's a legend and I've liked him for a long time, but he's past his prime now, and I think Jacare would beat him. Saku's a legend and always be, but now he's getting old and he's been in a rediculous amount of wars.
chubbud22
5/6/08 12:41:51AM
Mayhem VS Jacare in the final(would love to see this fight)
ICSlegend
5/7/08 12:03:00PM

Posted by hotrodttt

True, Igor and Cro Cop didn't Finish him but they battered him and got a Doctors Stoppage, along with Smirinovis how he battered him, I think that Jacare would do something similar to Saku that Arona did, get Top Position and Pound hims out. And Jacare is the better Wrestler, working at Extreme Couture shaped him into a Great Wrestler, he took down an NCAA Wrestler in Ian Murphey.

And the reason why Saku handled Nakahara was because he was able to take him down, when Saku can't take someone down then he most likely looses the Fight. The only time I remember Saku doing well with a Striker on the Feet was against Vitor Belfort.

CC broke Saku's orbital bone from the bottom (Jacare is not on CC's striking level or has the power of a HW), not even applicable. And I didn't see much battering from Igor. Saku was just a tad tired from beating up Royce for 90 min. Igor should have decapitated him...and yet he couldn't.

And lets not get ahead of ourselves here. Jacare is a great grappler and all, but what is his ADCC record compared to Arona's? He's not only not on Arona's level, but Arona is a WAY BIGGER. Jacare doesn't have that kind of power. And what's your point with takedowns? Saku can single ANYONE like HW's with insane takedown defense (CC).

Have you seen the Nakahara fight? Saku was going strike for strike on the feet. Yeah, he took him down to sub him, but his striking was sharp on the feet. And what does Saku doing well with strikers have anything to do with it? Is Jacare an elite striker all of a sudden? Jacare's striking is at best above other JJ/wrestlers Saku has faced, and nowhere near LHWs/HWs Saku has fought/beaten.

Sorry, but I just don't see how any of your arguments are applicable, especially considering Jacare's size.
pv3Hpv3p
5/7/08 6:25:08PM
I know it's a long shot... But how bout Sakuraba taking this tournament and then retiring on top with a championship? Doesn't get much sweeter than that... But IMO a longshot...

Do the Dream people really do a seeding style of tournament?... I always assumed that they would leave a little room for creating more interesting matches, that's just a guess though...

I'd like to see:

Zelg vs Manhoef
Saku vs Yoon
Jacare vs Moussasi
Tamura vs Kin
hotrodttt
5/7/08 10:42:39PM

Posted by ICSlegend

Posted by hotrodttt

CC broke Saku's orbital bone from the bottom (Jacare is not on CC's striking level or has the power of a HW), not even applicable. And I didn't see much battering from Igor. Saku was just a tad tired from beating up Royce for 90 min. Igor should have decapitated him...and yet he couldn't.

And lets not get ahead of ourselves here. Jacare is a great grappler and all, but what is his ADCC record compared to Arona's? He's not only not on Arona's level, but Arona is a WAY BIGGER. Jacare doesn't have that kind of power. And what's your point with takedowns? Saku can single ANYONE like HW's with insane takedown defense (CC).

Have you seen the Nakahara fight? Saku was going strike for strike on the feet. Yeah, he took him down to sub him, but his striking was sharp on the feet. And what does Saku doing well with strikers have anything to do with it? Is Jacare an elite striker all of a sudden? Jacare's striking is at best above other JJ/wrestlers Saku has faced, and nowhere near LHWs/HWs Saku has fought/beaten.

Sorry, but I just don't see how any of your arguments are applicable, especially considering Jacare's size.

Yeah I did watch the Nakahara Fight, he almost got decapitated by a Head kick and he subbed the Greatest Grappler of our time Marcelo Garcia, also he is a huge Middleweight but nowhere near the size of Arona but I didn't say anything about size, Isaid he would do something similar to Arona.Saku does have a Great Single Leg but he now has knee problems. Saku was Top 5, 5-10 Years ago but now he's past his prime but he's still a Great Fighter top watch.
ICSlegend
5/8/08 7:12:41AM

Posted by hotrodttt

Yeah I did watch the Nakahara Fight, he almost got decapitated by a Head kick and he subbed the Greatest Grappler of our time Marcelo Garcia, also he is a huge Middleweight but nowhere near the size of Arona but I didn't say anything about size, Isaid he would do something similar to Arona.Saku does have a Great Single Leg but he now has knee problems. Saku was Top 5, 5-10 Years ago but now he's past his prime but he's still a Great Fighter top watch.

"Almost got decapitated".

So did Nog and Fedor by CC. What's your point? They still won. Once again, "almost" doesn't count and is not applicable.

And you're right, you didn't say anything about size...which is a main point of my problem with how Jacare can beat Saku. Arona is a huge and can overpower Saku. Saku is used to fighting bigger and more powerful grapplers and strikers. Jacare won't be able to manhandle Saku.

And yeah, Saku's past his prime and all, but he's still capable of beating just about anyone.

I'm not saying you're flat out wrong and that Jacare can't beat Saku, but none of the arguments you made (using bigger fighters, elite strikers,etc) support Jacare being able to pull out this win.
hotrodttt
5/8/08 10:34:08AM

Posted by ICSlegend

Posted by hotrodttt

"Almost got decapitated".

So did Nog and Fedor by CC. What's your point? They still won. Once again, "almost" doesn't count and is not applicable.

And you're right, you didn't say anything about size...which is a main point of my problem with how Jacare can beat Saku. Arona is a huge and can overpower Saku. Saku is used to fighting bigger and more powerful grapplers and strikers. Jacare won't be able to manhandle Saku.

And yeah, Saku's past his prime and all, but he's still capable of beating just about anyone.

I'm not saying you're flat out wrong and that Jacare can't beat Saku, but none of the arguments you made (using bigger fighters, elite strikers,etc) support Jacare being able to pull out this win.

Jacare would definatlely be able to manhandle Saku, the guy is huge
ICSlegend
5/9/08 7:01:31AM

Posted by hotrodttt

Jacare would definatlely be able to manhandle Saku, the guy is huge

Nothing is definite in MMA.

Jacare is not as huge as Arona, Randleman, CC...you know, other guys that COULD NOT MANHANDLE the smaller Saku.

And even if Jacare could get some strikes in and partially manhandle Saku, Saku is known for his resiliency and weathering the storm to pull out the win.

And Jacare is still unproven in MMA. Hasn't beaten any top guys yet. Based on what we've seen from both guys I don't get how a Jacare victory is justified.

But whatever, I guess I am biased.