Dream matchup- Aoki vs Penn

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Dream matchup- Aoki vs Penn
POLL: Who wins
BJ Penn 77% (24)
Shinya Aoki 23% (7)
hippysmacker
2/15/07 4:04:09PM
2 of the most exciting, flexoble jujitsy guys who takes it. I'll go with Penn, just because of his chin. They would be great on the ground , but BJ could KO him, and he has more power IMO. Plus Aoki wears some strange pants, BJ/s testosterone level seem smuch higher.
pv3Hpv3p
2/15/07 4:08:59PM
Went with Aoki...

BJ maybe a few years ago, IMO, he would just get worn down and subbed...
ffforgottenx
2/15/07 4:09:42PM
as of right now, i would have to go with penn also because i havent seen much of aoki's standup.. also, aoki has only faced two people that are good grapplers or even close to bj's level, sakurai and kikuchi.. he lost to sakurai, beat kikuchi, both by decision.. i think it would be incredibly competitive on the ground and there would be alot of stalemates, but penn would pull it out either by decision or KO..
Snacks
2/15/07 5:46:52PM
I think I'll have a better idea after the Aoki/Kikuchi rematch.
hippysmacker
2/15/07 5:52:18PM

Posted by Snacks

Did you not agree with the decision the first time? I thought Aoki won.
Snacks
2/15/07 6:06:52PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by Snacks

What? Aoki/Kikuchi I was pretty close, first round could have gone either way, 2nd round Kikuchi took with ease, and the third Aoki backpacked him to death. So it wasn't a complete domination like people seem to think it was.

And the reason I say after the rematch is because this will give light to whether or not Aoki has really just improved so drastically, or whether Kikuchi was just not all there that night.

If it's the first, then I think I'd go with Aoki, if not, I think I might go with Penn, but we'll see.
JimiMak
2/15/07 6:52:41PM
Had to go with Penn. I'll have to see more from aoki, it takes a lot for me to bet against BJ..... A WHOLE LOT.
loller90278
2/15/07 8:07:57PM
had to go with aoki cuz hes my fav fighter and bj is on a losing streak

xthe_scottx
2/15/07 9:20:24PM
I have to go with Penn. He has the striking advantage. This would be an interesting fight, either a great fight or a very boring lay and pray fest IMO.
Savy
2/16/07 1:28:05AM
Penn, 1st rd KO. Bj's hands are just too good.
Unkoman
2/16/07 2:43:40AM

Posted by xthe_scottx

I have to go with Penn. He has the striking advantage. This would be an interesting fight, either a great fight or a very boring lay and pray fest IMO.

Even if this fight was on the ground the whole time , I don't think it would be boring - and it definitly would not be lay n pray.

fedorwins1
2/16/07 9:28:14AM
On the ground its very close, but stand up BJ has him by a mile in my opinion. I think Penn takes it by a dec. unless Aoki can use his magical pants to pull off another awesome submission.
Trapt1nw0nder
2/16/07 10:02:28AM
BJ Penn is god!

from all the fighters in the world,i respect him the most

what can i say?..he's a Caveman

BJ 1st round TKO...manhandle him just like gomi
thelastking
2/16/07 12:29:25PM
Aoki is an incredible fighter but on the ground they are evenly matched but in the stand up BJ is much better and has more power. It would be a great fight though.
Snacks
2/16/07 2:30:40PM
It's funny, almost EVERY fight, people say "so-and-so has the stand up by *insert exaggeration*" yet only 1 person has ever really been able to hurt Aoki, and that was Nakao after Nakao got hurt by Aoki and just unleashed a no-look right of death.

Just an observation.
xthe_scottx
2/16/07 10:00:39PM
The reason I say that this could be a lot of LnP is both are very good on the ground. Sort of like the Marquardt vs Salaverry fight. Both fighters were so good that they are just waiting for the other to make a mistake and if this fight went to the ground, it might happen. With that being said, I think it would be more likely that Penn would win by KO in the 1st or 2nd.
EEKS
2/17/07 10:31:19AM
I agree with hippysmacker BJ has a distinct advantage on the feet and a better chin, on the ground they cancel each other out, although Aoki's rubber guard is pretty awesome, he can get a great set up to the traingle by using it, but BJ still takes it
hippysmacker
2/18/07 4:25:30PM

Posted by Snacks

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by Snacks

What? Aoki/Kikuchi I was pretty close, first round could have gone either way, 2nd round Kikuchi took with ease, and the third Aoki backpacked him to death. So it wasn't a complete domination like people seem to think it was.

And the reason I say after the rematch is because this will give light to whether or not Aoki has really just improved so drastically, or whether Kikuchi was just not all there that night.

If it's the first, then I think I'd go with Aoki, if not, I think I might go with Penn, but we'll see.

Sanchez and Allesio could both learn a lot from watching that 3rd round.
madmarck
2/18/07 4:34:10PM
BJ by Far. Much bigger and stronger. Better strikes and wrestling. BJ is by far tougher. For sub skills one could argue either way. But i see BJ Penn taking this dream match up 53563 times outta 53564.
Penn is undoubtly the winner. His Sub skills and flexiblity at the very least equal Aoki but are most likely far superior.
Snacks
2/18/07 7:00:58PM

Posted by madmarck

BJ by Far. Much bigger and stronger. Better strikes and wrestling. BJ is by far tougher. For sub skills one could argue either way. But i see BJ Penn taking this dream match up 53563 times outta 53564.
Penn is undoubtly the winner. His Sub skills and flexiblity at the very least equal Aoki but are most likely far superior.

Penn's never had to deal with someone that has a submission game that is as dynamic as Aoki's in MMA. To so blatantly write off Aoki is horrible on your part. Not to mention Aoki wasn't exactly muscled around by the much larger and stronger Akira Kikuchi in EITHER of their encounters.
hippysmacker
3/27/07 3:53:38AM
Since someone tried to restrat this thread in the UFC/Pride forum, I'll refresh it. By the way, if the UFC does buy Pridem they could meet in theOWGP. Dream come true!
pv3Hpv3p
3/27/07 3:10:08PM

Posted by xthe_scottx

The reason I say that this could be a lot of LnP is both are very good on the ground. Sort of like the Marquardt vs Salaverry fight. Both fighters were so good that they are just waiting for the other to make a mistake and if this fight went to the ground, it might happen. With that being said, I think it would be more likely that Penn would win by KO in the 1st or 2nd.

these guys are top BJJ guys not wrestlers, Lay and Pray is commonly attributed to wrestlers who win by takedown points...

Good BJJ guys do not LnP, watch Karo / Diaz or Diaz / Diego and you will see what I mean (while I admit they are not the greatest BJJ guys, they have comparible ground skills which made for the exciting fight)...

These guys are constantly switching position and attempting subs and it makes for a very exciting match... They don't blanket their opponents (usually) like a Koss or Obrien... They go for the finish...
pv3Hpv3p
3/27/07 3:17:02PM

Posted by madmarck

We can all see that you like BJ, but you really shouldn't write off Aoki that quickly... We haven't seen "The Prodigy" in true form since 2003-04... His last two years of fighting have been average at best... IMHO, you should give Shinya a little more credit
loller90278
3/27/07 7:23:00PM
if the time comes, i got my money on aoki.. penns on a downward spiral imo, the prodigy is of no moreeeeeee.

hopefully he proves me wrong against pulver.. but then again pulver hasn't been improving either.

tyo
3/27/07 10:59:19PM
Penn knockout 1st round
10 times over
bj is the man
Jeffanori-Gomi
3/29/07 3:49:20AM
IMO Aoki's Jui jitsu is slightly stronger than BJ's but BJ's striking is way better than Shinya's. I also dont think Aoki could take BJ down. Matt Hughes couldnt do it, and Hughes wrestling is much better than Shinya's. IMO BJ by KO
miguel_sanchez
3/29/07 5:39:51AM
I think this would be a stalemate on the ground. I really couldn't see either of them catching each other in a sub. It would probably be a decision and come down to damage inflicted by striking, in which case I'd have to go with Penn. There's also the chance of BJ ko'ing him standing.

Regardless, I'd love to see it.