dream match: shogun vs. liddell

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » dream match: shogun vs. liddell
floridamma
3/29/07 4:54:10AM
imo, shogun is at the top of pride's 205 division, belt or not, and i would much rather see this than wandy vs. chuck. chuck is getting up there in age and i would like to see him really challenged before his skills diminish. no disrespect to ufc's 205 division, but there just simply is not a lot of depth there and most of his fights have been a breeze. shogun would be the greatest challenge for him, he's the most well rounded 205er on the planet and could give chuck a competitive fight on their feet. if it happened i see it going down as an instant classic stand up war, easily fight of the year candidate with shogun scraping out the split decision. opinions?
pv3Hpv3p
3/29/07 11:00:47AM
I agree with most of what you said, but I don't think that fight would go the distance...

Chuck hits too hard, and Rua is always trying to finish, I'd have to think that in 25 minutes one or the other would get caught... And with fighters of their caliber that's all it really takes.
mkiv9secsupra
3/29/07 4:56:37PM

Posted by floridamma

imo, shogun is at the top of pride's 205 division, belt or not, and i would much rather see this than wandy vs. chuck. chuck is getting up there in age and i would like to see him really challenged before his skills diminish. no disrespect to ufc's 205 division, but there just simply is not a lot of depth there and most of his fights have been a breeze. shogun would be the greatest challenge for him, he's the most well rounded 205er on the planet and could give chuck a competitive fight on their feet. if it happened i see it going down as an instant classic stand up war, easily fight of the year candidate with shogun scraping out the split decision. opinions?

how could you say the 205 doesnt have depth?......i think shogun would play right into chucks gameplan. Shogun would make a mistake....like trying for that stupid jump kick he did on jackson....but overall it would be a great match...
floridamma
3/30/07 2:02:40AM

how could you say the 205 doesnt have depth?......

ufc's 205 division has very little depth. other than chuck, quinton, and maybe ortiz if you're on his bandwagon, they have no other top 10 fighters. and dont try to say evans, lambert, jardine, sobral, bonnar or griffin, because these are b level fighters compared to pride's roster.
mkiv9secsupra
3/30/07 2:04:06AM
so wanderlei and rua are better than all three of ufcs?

-ps have you seen the top 10 205'ers on this sight? 5 from UFC and 5 from Pride....
floridamma
3/30/07 2:06:22AM

Chuck hits too hard, and Rua is always trying to finish, I'd have to think that in 25 minutes one or the other would get caught... And with fighters of their caliber that's all it really takes.

now that i think about it, you're right. i was thinking about 3 five minute rounds, not the championship format of 5 five minute rounds. in that case i think it would be shogun by tko in the 4th or 5th. i can see someone getting rocked before that, but both these guys are tough and i think they'd recover and keep it going.
floridamma
3/30/07 2:10:35AM

rua's better than all ufc's. wandy better than quinton and ortiz, but not chuck imo.

ps have you seen the top 10 205'ers on this sight? 5 from UFC and 5 from Pride....

yes i have, and those are fans rankings, not professional mma journalists who devote most of their time to watching, reporting, studying mma.
mkiv9secsupra
3/30/07 2:42:49AM

Posted by floridamma

rua's better than all ufc's. wandy better than quinton and ortiz, but not chuck imo.

ps have you seen the top 10 205'ers on this sight? 5 from UFC and 5 from Pride....

yes i have, and those are fans rankings, not professional mma journalists who devote most of their time to watching, reporting, studying mma.

well i guess youre a professional pride nuthugger AND mma journalist....
floridamma
3/30/07 3:19:51AM

well i guess youre a professional pride nuthugger AND mma journalist....

no just an mma fan, and dont start with the flame bullshit, i just want to have an intelligent discussion. im just simply stating a fact about the depth of ufc's 205 division, i like pride and ufc, just think pride has more skilled/well rounded fighters.
mkiv9secsupra
3/30/07 3:38:27AM
yeah sorry....lets just talk Liddell and Shogun....no Ortiz or Silva or Henderson...

honestly i think the fight be over by round two...i think Shogun isnt aggressive enough. I think Liddell can be beaten if he is given a short barrage of really fast hooks...kinda like wandy's. i guess it would really go to whoever is the aggressor imo...
floridamma
3/30/07 3:58:20AM
i agree about the agressor part. if you look at chucks losses though, he was finished on the mat (couture and jackson come to mind) with ground and pound. shogun has very good bjj/takedowns for a chute boxe guy. i think shogun might be able to finish him on the ground ala overeem. however, i dont see them spending too much time on the mat as chuck's wrestling/takedown defense is excellent. i agree with you though, if it's a 5 rounder, someone's getting koed/tkoed, i just think it will be chuck getting it. shogun's in his prime and chuck's leaving his.
mkiv9secsupra
3/30/07 4:58:40AM
also it would depend on the ring they fought in....in the octagon chuck could stand back up easily but in the ring it would be a lot harder which would use a lot more energy
floridamma
3/30/07 5:18:01AM
true, i like the octagon better, less wasted time getting back to the center of the ring.
CwB
3/30/07 12:21:42PM
Chuck Wins... Forum Over.
loller90278
3/31/07 5:01:44PM

Posted by CwB

Chuck Wins... Forum Over.

the intelligence and thought put into this post is gleaming to the heavens.

back to sherdog with you.
AlmightyThor
3/31/07 6:25:35PM
I would have to take shogun on this. Chuck hasnt fought a top notch stand up guy in years. I think shogun would hurt him, bad. Broken ribs or something of the like I.E. jackson. I personally feel that chucks stock is overrated right now, all the quality opponents in the ufc are people that need to take you down to do significant damage. I think it would be a round 3(late) or 4(early) tko for shogun.
hippysmacker
4/3/07 6:51:11PM
Right now I think Chuck is still at his peak, so this would be a good time for it. I still think Chuck beats any LHVY in the world right now, but Shogun might be the best chance at victory. Lil Nog would be a good choice too. I think he just got caught by Sokoudjou, it happens, but his style matches up well with Chuck's IMO.