Grand Prix Opening Round Card:

Katsuhiko Nagata Vs. Artur Umakhanov
Andre Amade Vs. Eddie Alvarez
Mitsuhiro Ishida Vs. Jung Bu-Kyung
Tatsuya Kawajiri Vs. Kultar Gill
Kazuyuki Miyata Vs. Luiz Firmino
Kotetsu Boku Vs. Joachim Hansen
Shinya Aoki Vs. JZ Calvancanti

Uno's out, apperantly they might have more additions but it's coming close to the wire so it's doubtful. I'm picking Bu-Kyung as the dark horse to win it all. He looks to be in good shape:

Pookie
3/10/08 12:18:03AM
what is the bracket going to be like with 14 competitors?
Svartorm
3/10/08 12:22:44AM
They'll probably put someone in at the next event to even it out, otherwise they'll have to give someone a by, which would be stupid.
Mayhem13
3/10/08 12:23:19AM
I have Jung submitting Ishida... but a lot of these matchups are tough calls....a lot of good matchups..
Pookie
3/10/08 12:24:42AM
milendez couldnt sub ishida... and his bjj/wrestling is pretty damn good.

Mayhem13
3/10/08 12:27:56AM

Posted by Pookie

thats true, but Jung came pretty damn close to submitting Aoki..which says a lot about the dudes potential..cause Aoki is practically a wizard win it comes to subs.

Aoki should be nicknamed Mr.Hero, come to think of it.
Pookie
3/10/08 12:32:49AM

Posted by Mayhem13

Posted by Pookie

thats true, but Jung came pretty damn close to submitting Aoki..which says a lot about the dudes potential..cause Aoki is practically a wizard win it comes to subs.

lol
Shinya Aoki could have a thousand nicknames and it still wouldnt do him justice...

"Super Silly Stretch Pants" come to mind
richieb19
3/10/08 12:34:36AM

Posted by Pookie

True, but Bu-Kyung is a top of the hill judoka. Even with that said, Vitor couldn't sub Ishida either, and I don't fully expect Jung to either... who knows though!

Posted by Mayhem13

Speaking of this armbar, Aoki said he thinks most people would have tapped to either armbar Bu-Kyung slapped on him. Speaks for both of them.
richieb19
3/10/08 12:36:26AM
I think it's hilarious though the calibur of opponents these Elite judoka are getting:

Nastula got Big Nog, Aleks and Barnett.
Dong Sik got Saku, Busta, Quinton
etc...

Mayhem13
3/10/08 12:40:14AM
yeah they are getting thrown right into the mix of things..haha

and I dont fully expect Jung to submit him either....but I think theres a chance, and its worth the underdog bonus gamble.. (a lot more then betting against Sakurai or Mirko atleast)
richieb19
3/10/08 12:45:22AM

Posted by Mayhem13

yeah they are getting thrown right into the mix of things..haha

and I dont fully expect Jung to submit him either....but I think theres a chance, and its worth the underdog bonus gamble.. (a lot more then betting against Sakurai or Mirko atleast)

Oh absoloutely, and if the odds on pinnaclesports match the odds here at all I'm puting some serious dough down.
Mayhem13
3/10/08 1:04:33AM
I also think that Miyata should be able to upset Firmino....depending on the Miyata we see that is..

he seems to be a bit inconsistant in his performances...but when he's on. he's a tough mother effer.
hotrodttt
3/10/08 1:05:53AM
Yeah, Jung is definatly up there in Competition but I wish they would've at least gave him 5 Warm Up fights, Who gets thrown to Aoki their 1st Fight

I think It'll be Kawajiri vs JZ in the Finals and Kawajiri has the better Wrestling and Striking so I think It's a pretty Easy Pick. Kawajiri via Unanimous Decision, sort of what Hellboy did to him.
richieb19
3/10/08 1:07:20AM

Posted by Mayhem13

I also think that Miyata should be able to upset Firmino....depending on the Miyata we see that is..

he seems to be a bit inconsistant in his performances...but when he's on. he's a tough mother effer.

Miyata will almost surely win via decision. Once he steps up against a really good striker or grappler though he will probably get stopped. Best of luck to him though!
hotrodttt
3/10/08 1:13:51AM

Posted by Mayhem13

Yeah it's either the Miyata who forces you to the ground with his pure Wrestling Strength or the Miyata who gives up sloppy Submissions and gets caught with big punches, but he has a good chin and Is also very Small for a Lighweight he's like 5'6.

I think we see the sloppy Miyata on the 15th, I think he takes Buscape down controlls him for a while then leave an arm open and get put in an Armbar or Triangle Choke.
Svartorm
3/10/08 1:27:49AM

Posted by hotrodttt

I think It'll be Kawajiri vs JZ in the Finals and Kawajiri has the better Wrestling and Striking so I think It's a pretty Easy Pick. Kawajiri via Unanimous Decision, sort of what Hellboy did to him.

It can't be. Look at the bracket.

I think it'll be Hansen or JZ vs. Sakurai in the finals, and either will probably beat Sakurai.

Edit: Also, it looks like Sakurai vs. Monma is now part of the tournament, which is odd because I thought it was a WW fight. Maybe whoever wins is supposed to drop to LW for the rest of the GP, which I'm pretty sure both guys can do.
hotrodttt
3/10/08 1:34:12AM

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by hotrodttt

I think it'll be Hansen or JZ vs. Sakurai in the finals, and either will probably beat Sakurai.

Edit: Also, it looks like Sakurai vs. Monma is now part of the tournament, which is odd because I thought it was a WW fight. Maybe whoever wins is supposed to drop to LW for the rest of the GP, which I'm pretty sure both guys can do.

I wanted Kawajiri to fight JZ in the Finals, that Fight would be Epic
richieb19
3/10/08 1:36:02AM

Posted by Svartorm

There's a set bracket? I thought they would decide matches for round two later on.
Mayhem13
3/10/08 1:43:29AM
yeah. i have the feeling that the winner of JZ vs Aoki will win this..

but the addition of Sakurai (in the tourny) definately shakes things up a bit....
hotrodttt
3/10/08 1:52:18AM

Posted by Mayhem13

but the addition of Sakurai (in the tourny) definately shakes things up a bit....

I wish Melendez was on this card because I thought he would have faught the winner of Aoki vs JZ and Won the Tourny
Mayhem13
3/10/08 1:55:09AM

Posted by hotrodttt

Posted by Mayhem13

I wish Melendez was on this card because I thought he would have faught the winner of Aoki vs JZ and Won the Tourny

I was dissapointed about that as well... I think the LWGP would have been cooler then his Strikeforce fight (although if it was Masvidal...it coulda been sweet )
Mayhem13
3/10/08 1:59:52AM
what do you guys think of the Eddie Alvarez and Andre dida fight?

thats another tough call...I see Alvarez pulling out a decision win by winning the standup and controlling the fight on the feet...but its a close call
CantAndleDaRiddum
3/10/08 2:25:45AM
willl America get to watch this event live>?
Svartorm
3/10/08 2:39:18AM

Posted by richieb19

Posted by Svartorm

There's a set bracket? I thought they would decide matches for round two later on.

Theres one on wikipedia, but I'm not sure if the author made it up or if he got it from somewhere. I can't navigate the official site to find one.
NatedawgThaM
3/10/08 2:54:42AM
I the winner of JZ-Akoi will win it all and become the greatest LW in the world. But I want to see JZ Calvan vs Hanson 2 in the finals. I think that would be sick!!!

I think Andre will KO Alveres. Neither have faced great opposition in there wins but when I look at Alveres competition, I think it's hilarious he's the favorite.

Can't wait though! It's the ultimate LW GP! The only thing it's missing IMO is BJ, Gomi, Melendez, and Shaolin I didn't see up there though I might have missed him.
hotrodttt
3/10/08 7:00:47PM

Posted by Mayhem13

what do you guys think of the Eddie Alvarez and Andre dida fight?

thats another tough call...I see Alvarez pulling out a decision win by winning the standup and controlling the fight on the feet...but its a close call

Yeah as of right now I have Eddie Winning because he has looked Solid in his last fights excluding Nick Thompson, Eddie via Unanimous Decision
hotrodttt
3/10/08 9:24:08PM
As I was thinking about some of the fights I've had a change of Decision, I'll break down the fights that I changed.

Kazuyuki Miyata vs Buscape Firmimo

I really think that Miyata is the best Wrestler in MMA Pound for Pound, I think he can hold Buscape down for both Rounds. And I don't think Miyata will gas because he only gases when he takes damage and I don't think Buscape can do that.

Andre Dida vs Eddie Alverez

In this Fight I think that Andre is the more explosive Fighter with better striking so I thin he takes the Unanimous Decision.
jiujitsufreak74
3/10/08 10:23:32PM

Posted by hotrodttt

As I was thinking about some of the fights I've had a change of Decision, I'll break down the fights that I changed.

I really think that Miyata is the best Wrestler in MMA Pound for Pound, I think he can hold Buscape down for both Rounds. And I don't think Miyata will gas because he only gases when he takes damage and I don't think Buscape can do that.

In this Fight I think that Andre is the more explosive Fighter with better striking so I thin he takes the Unanimous Decision.

i agree with Andre but Miyata is too unpredictable for me...i am really torn on that one
hotrodttt
3/10/08 10:55:13PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by hotrodttt

i agree with Andre but Miyata is too unpredictable for me...i am really torn on that one

I think Miyata has enough in him to hold Buscape down
Mayhem13
3/10/08 11:09:25PM
I kind of think Dida may win too...I watched a few fights from both...and he seems to have more Killer Instinct and really pusht he pressure...compared to Alvarez who is more of a boxing type striker..

I actually think I may go with Dida by TKO..
Pages: [1] 2 3