The Dream is Gone; Japanese MMA Promotion Runs Out of Viable Options

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » The Dream is Gone; Japanese MMA Promotion Runs Out of Viable Options
prophecy033
6/3/12 11:13:43PM
The writing was on the wall when Dream had to cancel its planned July mixed martial arts event in Japan, but it has become more and more evident that the follow-up to Pride is all but officially out of business.

MMA-Japan.com early Sunday morning reported that Dream is “no longer a going concern,” and multiple MMAWeekly.com sources have confirmed that doors are closing on Dream.

Pretty much all of the Real Entertainment (the company that operated Dream) staff have moved on to other endeavors, and the company has apparently stopped returning calls to nearly all of its fighters and their representatives, ceasing day-to-day operations.

Link
prophecy033
6/3/12 11:17:34PM
This SUCKS!!! I never enjoy seeing fighting organizations fold. Since Pride was bought out by the UFC, Japanese MMA has been pretty lackluster at best and this just further validates that
Chael_Sonnen
6/3/12 11:28:28PM
Y-A-K-U-Z-A
frizzzlecake
6/4/12 12:29:34AM
No longer will PRIDE and DREAM be in MMA. Only Fighting and Champions.
jae_1833
6/4/12 1:59:40AM
Suck ass!! I love having Japanese fighters having a place to fight as they have Warriors Hearts. In America they wont be able to take the hard shots, the pressure wrestling, and the competitiveness of their competition. I cant see many fighters other than Aoki, Hellboy and Kawajiri making the move here with much success.....even their success will most likely be minimal.
sparky
6/4/12 7:04:27AM
Japan is the birth place of MMA, said to see it die there.
prozacnation1978
6/4/12 10:27:54AM
Well aoki should come to Ufc. Hellboy maybe.

Interesting who bellator and Ufc pick up
prophecy033
6/4/12 10:51:24AM

Posted by prozacnation1978

Well aoki should come to Ufc. Hellboy maybe.

Interesting who bellator and Ufc pick up

Hansen said he would never fight for Dana or Zuffa but hell, stranger things have happened
The_Casualty
6/4/12 10:52:19AM
I was a huge Dream fan, It sucks to see them fold but it will be interesting to see who UFC and Bellator pick up. The MMA landscape is ever changing
pmoney
6/4/12 10:57:34AM
DrivenDavies15
6/4/12 10:57:54AM
awe this is some shitty news, gonna miss those late nights/early mornings on HDNet :( Hope we see Bibiano Fernandes signed by the UFC, kinda hard to picture Aoki in the UFC but that would be alright too.
prophecy033
6/4/12 12:11:23PM

Posted by pmoney

classic
KungFuMaster
6/4/12 12:13:22PM

Posted by pmoney

Awesome reference, Pmoney. I wrote an essay on the Trail of Tears while in college and even though I was never there to experience the tragedy, I was submerged in my research and for a brief moment in time, I was Native American.
Franklinfan47
6/4/12 1:18:01PM
Surely they will still do the NYE cards right?!?!?
prophecy033
6/4/12 1:25:50PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by pmoney

Awesome reference, Pmoney. I wrote an essay on the Trail of Tears while in college and even though I was never there to experience the tragedy, I was submerged in my research and for a brief moment in time, I was Native American.

actually, I think that's the Indian that sheds a tear after looking at the landfill
Chael_Sonnen
6/4/12 2:22:23PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by pmoney

Hope everyone knows that this "Actor" was actually Italian

There's a great chapter on Native Americans in The Voice of Reason.....very, very educational.

frizzzlecake
6/4/12 3:41:44PM
Hellboy should be in the UFC Norwegian fighters get no love in the ufc!
1-4 is not a good track record. lol

Come on Pro Elite! get to Japan!
prophecy033
6/4/12 3:47:09PM

Posted by DrivenDavies15

awe this is some shitty news, gonna miss those late nights/early mornings on HDNet :( Hope we see Bibiano Fernandes signed by the UFC, kinda hard to picture Aoki in the UFC but that would be alright too.

looks like Fernandes has already been signed. Is post a link but I'm on my phone
ghandikush
6/4/12 7:56:36PM

Posted by Franklinfan47

they did before dream and after pride under the k1 company money
Aether
6/4/12 8:10:00PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by pmoney

pmoney
6/4/12 10:55:08PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Hope everyone knows that this "Actor" was actually Italian

Yeah I was kind of bummed out when I found that out
Budgellism
6/4/12 11:21:37PM

Posted by pmoney

Sadly, this...

Dream
KungFuMaster
6/4/12 11:22:40PM
lol

I never said it was from The Trail of Tears. I simply meant Pmoney put up a picture worth a thousand words - And I just wanted to tell Pmoney I wrote an essay about the The Trail of Tears because the picture is referencing the tragedy of Native Americans.

Kung Fu wins again.
Budgellism
6/4/12 11:24:48PM

Posted by Franklinfan47

fuuuuuuuuuuuuck... I didn't even think about that. I hope some promotion holds one. I love watching those cards. They start at 2 or 3am for us but they're worth it every time.
prophecy033
6/5/12 12:21:44AM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by Franklinfan47

fuuuuuuuuuuuuck... I didn't even think about that. I hope some promotion holds one. I love watching those cards. They start at 2 or 3am for us but they're worth it every time.

i still remember the 9 hour Dream/M-1 Global card this last new years. crazy Jesus sword fighting and Jihad extremist's, crazy shit really