DREAM 6 event fallout

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » DREAM 6 event fallout
juanez13
9/25/08 6:36:53AM
The claimed attendance for the DREAM 9/23 Saitama show was 20,929.

: Sports Navigator is reporting that DREAM 6 drew a 9.0% rating on TBS, with the high QH (quarter-hour) mark showing Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Masanori Tonooka drawing a 13.4% rating. Bad numbers, as expected.

LINK

Their events are great, they put on great fights, but they just keep doing bad #'s...hopefully they can make something happen to get their numbers up.
emfleek
9/25/08 8:33:48AM
This sucks. Of all the other promotions besides the UFC, DREAM is the one I'd most want to see stick around. Always good fights/events.

Now if they'd just get rid of the dang ring announcer...
D0wnUnd6e6r
9/25/08 8:38:51AM

Posted by emfleek

This sucks. Of all the other promotions besides the UFC, DREAM is the one I'd most want to see stick around. Always good fights/events.

yeah ditto the ring announcer is a pain. I agree on dream although i do enjoy watching a little WEC once in a while
emfleek
9/25/08 8:39:50AM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

Posted by emfleek

yeah ditto the ring announcer is a pain. I agree on dream although i do enjoy watching a little WEC once in a while

I love the WEC, but I consider them to be the UFC. They're not going anywhere.
bojangalz
9/25/08 8:40:29AM
It's starting to look like NYE or bust for DREAM. It's a shame too, they have delivered on every card. I'm not sure how much this has to do with DREAM itself anyway....From what I understand there is a bit of a resession in the entire fighting industry in Japan.

Fight Network Radio was talking yesterday about how even professional wrestling (which used to be HUGE over there) has been religated to early morning (3-4 am) time slots on their networks. They said that pro wrestling used to be a prime time network event.

I think a lot of people see DREAM as the financial equivalant to Elite XC. The difference is that Elite XC puts out a shitty/gimicky product; while DREAM has held several of the most entertaining fights of the year. I really hope DREAM can get it all figured out. (And if not, I hope HDNET can start airing WVR cards)
AchillesHeel
9/25/08 10:16:04AM
DREAM was on TBS? The American network?
emfleek
9/25/08 10:39:00AM

Posted by AchillesHeel

DREAM was on TBS? The American network?

No.
prozacnation1978
9/25/08 11:23:14AM
there gone
the ufc will grab some of them
i wonder if cro cop will return to the ufc
bullettdodger
9/25/08 12:25:46PM
A real shame, they have the best young MWs in the world ... a lot of quality fighters in their other divisions too... i almost want the UFC to do a cross promotion for no reason just to give DREAM the shot in the arm it need, but if Fighting is facing a recession in Japan then there is not much to be done about it.
MMAcca
9/25/08 1:15:46PM

Posted by prozacnation1978
i wonder if cro cop will return to the ufc

Doubtful.

He's done little to prove that he's renewed his dedication to the sport imo
jiujitsufreak74
9/25/08 1:37:04PM
i love Dream, it is tied for my favorite promotion and i have watched every even live. i really hope it is able to stay afloat.
Wolfenstein
9/25/08 4:14:02PM
Just goes to show that MMA in Japan is on the decline. Freakshows seem to do really well though, so I don't know why they don't put on at least one every event. They have to do something different if they want to survive because just putting on good fights obviously isn't going to be enough.
rabbit915
9/25/08 7:35:48PM
These companies are running into the same issues that the promotoers other than the UFC have in the united states. They just cant manage to grow past a certain point because they dont have that household name basis with the promotion.

Dream is definately delivering with the product just like some of the US companies are but for some reason they just cant turn into a big name promotion.

If they do go under i hope the UFC manages to pick up Jacare, Manhoef, and Mousasi. Some definately interesting fights in there.

Oh and Eddie Alvarez , would love to see him fight in the U.S.
cmill21
9/25/08 7:42:35PM
Ok ok ok, this is really funny to me, Dream is drawing bad numbers in Japan because they put on fights that American mma fans love to see, anyways. If Dream dies, it is only because FEG is starting a new mma promotion, FEG, Dreams parent company, is probably worth more then Zuffa. I know exactly why they're drawing bad numbers, they can easily fix it. What people don't seem to remember is K-1 Hero's drew even worse numbers and was in no danger of folding, they just turned it into Dream.
EliasG
9/26/08 12:50:15AM
The Japanes have a recession and an aging population. Their viewership won't support fighting. THat's a younger person's love.