What is the draw? Name or Org?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » What is the draw? Name or Org?
babytater03
4/17/08 12:04:58PM
So i was in the shower this morning thinking of my picks for the upcoming UFC PPV. That got me thinking of where i was going to view the event and how recently, like in the last 6 months, more and more places have been having the PPV's and more and more people have been showing up to them. So i came up with this question that i've been pondering ever since.

What makes an event so popular?
What will bring the people into the stadiums and sell the PPV's?

Is it more so which Organization it is? For instance the name of the organization alone, no matter who's on the card, will sell better. IE. if you're the UFC versus EliteXC.

Or, is it what names/fighters are on the card that will put butts in the seats and sell the satellite orders? For instance if GSP were to go over and fight in an IFL tournament, would that spike the ratings simply because of his name?

This has really got me thinking, so i lay it upon the Play yard to settle it.
Lets see some of the usual suspects weigh in on this please.
disorderlyvision
4/17/08 12:26:22PM
Obviously it is both. the name of the org draws a crowd. The ufc is a bigger draw than the other orgs because they are more widely known. also, it is because of the fighters and who is more well known among casual fans, which is why tito and ken shamrock had the highest ppv buys, and why people like kimbo are big draws.

also smaller orgs benefit off the ufc as well, because fighters that get cut from the ufc i.e baroni, lawler, lindland, etc. are sometimes marketed as a former ufc fighter. and it also draws more fans because of the name recognition of having fought in the ufc.
babytater03
4/17/08 2:04:09PM

Posted by disorderlyvision

Obviously it is both. the name of the org draws a crowd. The ufc is a bigger draw than the other orgs because they are more widely known. also, it is because of the fighters and who is more well known among casual fans, ....

I came to that conclusion partially at first. However, when Chuck and Wandi fought there was, in my hometown, like 3-4 more bars/sports bars advertising they were getting the fight than normal. Penn v. Stevenson only had 3 bars showing it here whereas normally there's about 7-10. So personally i feel it's the name that will draw bigger crowds and sell more PPV. If any offbrand organization was to sign Chuck v. Wandi or like a Silva v. Henderson fight, they would gain immediate notarity and validity based solely on the fighters and not on the name of the organization.

just my $.02...
rabbit915
4/17/08 2:32:18PM
I think it changes based off the knowledge of the fan. If a casual fan or a guy who has never actually watched a fight goes to see an event, they will go see the UFC because they assume that they have the best fighters.

Now a guy who knows a lot about MMA will realize that there are other good fighters out there and will know who they are and therefore will be just as excited to see those guys fight regardless of org.

So its a matter of knowledge.
mkiv9secsupra
4/17/08 2:43:21PM
why were you in the shower thinking about guys wrestling with each other? ha jk

but yeah i think its both. I watch every UFC event just based on name. but on the other hand i watch all my favorite fighters in other orgs just because they are fighting such as Nick Diaz and Ninja no matter who they are fighting.
rabbit915
4/17/08 3:24:43PM
One of the other issues invovled is price. For instance, i will pay for UFC events based off the org and other orgs if i know they have fighters that i want to see fighting.

However, i will watch absolutely any org if its free and on tv. They could put up nobodies and i would watch it. I think more orgs need to learn this.
Mchubb316
4/17/08 10:55:13PM

Posted by rabbit915

One of the other issues invovled is price. For instance, i will pay for UFC events based off the org and other orgs if i know they have fighters that i want to see fighting.

However, i will watch absolutely any org if its free and on tv. They could put up nobodies and i would watch it. I think more orgs need to learn this.

I try to watch as much MMA as possible. I like the sport as a whole. People watch the UFC because it has been around the longest and been marketed the most. I think there are two types of fans UFC fans and MMA fans. MMA fans are more likely to watch as much as possible. I have had conversations with people leading up to a UFC pay per view and tried to lead the conversation towards MMA as a whole and they have no clue who most of the fighters outside of the UFC are.
Svartorm
4/18/08 4:23:52AM
Its the org, hands down.

The UFC featuring Liddell vs. Jardine was more than likely just as popular as every other event they run, even though the main event wasn't that exciting in the eyes of hardcore fans.

The WCO card that was cancelled due to lack of advance ticket sales was star-studded, as were the two Pride events in the US that didn't do so well. Its all about brand recognition as this point, hence why its called "Ultimate Fighting" instead of MMA by most casual fans.
babytater03
4/18/08 9:28:51AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra
why were you in the shower thinking about guys wrestling with each other? ha jk

ugh... i KNEW that was coming

Posted by Mchubb316
I try to watch as much MMA as possible. I like the sport as a whole. People watch the UFC because it has been around the longest and been marketed the most. I think there are two types of fans UFC fans and MMA fans. MMA fans are more likely to watch as much as possible. I have had conversations with people leading up to a UFC pay per view and tried to lead the conversation towards MMA as a whole and they have no clue who most of the fighters outside of the UFC are.

That's exactly what i get. I was at Hooter's for the Penn v. Stevenson fight, and i got talking to the guy next to me about BJ Penn. This guy didn't know ANYTHING about BJ outside of the UFC. He tried to tell me he was Philipino, and that he was a black belt in Tae Kwan Do "since that's his main fighting style" he said. I just started laughing at the guy. Couldn't believe the ignorance.
frenchcakes_050
4/18/08 10:07:38AM
For me it doesnt matter what the fighters name are, a fight can be good with crappy fighters, so I just watch all of the PPV's just because it is so unsuspected whether or not it will be a terrible fight of a great fight