Bill Douglas explains Nick Diaz situation

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Bill Douglas explains Nick Diaz situation
emfleek
8/10/09 1:27:51PM
The upcoming bout between Nick Diaz and Jay Hieron on the main portion of the “Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg” event scheduled for August 15 is currently in extreme turmoil.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com recently had the opportunity to get the latest details on this unfolding story from California State Athletic Commission Assistant Executive Officer Bill Douglas. According to him this bout is not currently beyond saving, but it’s getting closer and closer to that point with every passing minute of the day.

STORY
Kpro
8/10/09 1:35:41PM
Wow, it's not just Diaz that hasn't returned calls to the CSAC for 48+ hours, it's the promoter too ?

I wouldn't have guessed that.
scoozna
8/10/09 1:58:49PM
Wow, not looking good for Diaz. Does he really have anyone else to blame if the fight is cancelled? Maybe Cesar, who should be on top of the managing aspect of being a "manager". As Diaz said himself, it's his livelihood, you'd think they'd work out the whole medical marijuana thing *before* having to be tested for a fight.
Kpro
8/10/09 2:14:35PM
Well it's better to no show the test and not fight if it was going to be a positive.

Missing a fight against a guy you weren't even originally scheduled to face is better than a one year suspension.

I wouldn't doubt if he used the medicinal marijuana after the original fight was canceled and there's just not enough time to guarantee passing the test.

Same as if a fighter who has doctor prescribed Adderal, Valium, etc. had a fight canceled so they got back on their regular medicines, then when a new opponent was announced there wasn't enough time to stop their legal prescription before the test.

And with the CSAC's history, there's no real reason to explain yourself.

Just playing devils advocate.
jae_1833
8/10/09 4:20:54PM
I can't even respond to this appropriately.......
postman
8/10/09 4:26:55PM
I love the medicinal marijuana angle. Its not an excuse not to mention just because cali says its ok its still a Federal offense to Possess grow soke buy sell or have anything to do with weed. Fed charges trump sate laws. I see its use in some aspects but dosn't he claim to have ADHD or something and thats why he needs it? Its just like pro football players you do what you do so know what meds you can and can't take.

I know who they can blame.....blame the dealer cause if he wasn't selling it Nick wouldn't be inclined to smoke. What a joke.

Sorry for the rant just drives me crazy that a kid with so much talent can't get his crap together. I mean your biggest win to date is wiped away because of weed and you still let it run u?
PABLOMAFIOSO
8/10/09 4:30:43PM
Can't believe that they class medicinal marajuana as a performance enhancer, they should really change that. If it is legal in the state (with a legit prescription) it shouldn't bother the commission. It does not give you an unfair edge in a fight.
fullfighting
8/10/09 4:54:00PM
This is pathetic. Get your S*** together Nick. What a joke, hope the grass is worth your career-Tool.
postman
8/10/09 4:57:53PM

Posted by PABLOMAFIOSO

Can't believe that they class medicinal marajuana as a performance enhancer, they should really change that. If it is legal in the state (with a legit prescription) it shouldn't bother the commission. It does not give you an unfair edge in a fight.

So the commission shouldn't worry about federal laws? I'ts concidered a pian killer thats why its not allowed.
telnights
8/10/09 6:00:16PM
There is no excuses...Use marajuana or be a fighter not that hard of a choice. Marajuana is banned by all commissions so why should they change the rule for one fighter.

"I'm more consistent about everything being a cannabis user," Diaz said in an interview with The Times last week. "I'm happy to get loaded, hear some good music . . . I remain consistent. And I have an easy way to deal with [the drug tests]. "I can pass a drug test in eight days with herbal cleansers. I drink 10 pounds of water and sweat out 10 pounds of water every day. I'll be fine."

george112
8/10/09 6:06:03PM

now i have no problem with smoking marijuana

but if its banned and its gonna keep it from fighting than dude lay off.until your fights over.or something.
PABLOMAFIOSO
8/10/09 7:04:34PM

Posted by postman

Posted by PABLOMAFIOSO

So the commission shouldn't worry about federal laws? I'ts concidered a pian killer thats why its not allowed.

IF IT IS LEGAL IN THE STATE (WITH A LEGIT PRESCRIPTION) IT SHOULDN'T BOTHER THE COMMISSION. as in why does it matter to the commission if it is considered legal by the state.
Also I didn't know it's concidered a pian killer
Wolfenstein
8/10/09 9:22:25PM
There are a lot of things that are legal with a prescription, but that doesn't really have any bearing on whether it's legal when getting licensed to fight. Steroids are legal with a prescription, so to me it doesn't have anything to with a fighter using a substance legally. If it's a banned substance then that is that.