Doubts surface over St-Pierre v Silva superfight

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Doubts surface over St-Pierre v Silva superfight
kopower
3/8/11 11:21:10AM
Major doubt exists over whether Georges St-Pierre and Anderson Silva are still heading for a UFC superfight later this year.

The two champions of the welterweight and middleweight divisions respectively had been expected to finally put on the most eagerly awaited fight in UFC history if they both came through their latest title defences. Silva was successful in his collision with Vitor Belfort at UFC 126, which has just left St-Pierre to follow suit against Jake Shields at UFC 129. Link
prozacnation1978
3/8/11 12:04:10PM
I still think that if gsp takes it
He needs to vacate the welterweight title

Not only that but if silva knockout gsp in any devasting way
Gsp may never be the same fighter again

VILLIN
3/8/11 5:08:09PM
Nothing new as far as I can see. GSP has never been too keen on this fight, all the talk has come from Dana and Anderson.

I remember GSP giving an interview sometime before the Hardy fight stating that it would take time to move up properly and he had no plans to even try in the foreseeable future. Besides, if GSP does move up he is definitely going to want a couple of fights to get comfortable at MW before even thinking about stepping in with Anderson.
tcunningham
3/8/11 6:05:53PM
i just dont see it happening. i think the hype behind this fight comes from everybody except the two fighters. GSP doesnt seem like he wants to do it at all. i really dont think either fighter has anything to prove anylonger.
bojangalz
3/8/11 8:41:09PM
Yeah, I don't ever remember either fighter making a real push for this fight. Dana's had to comment on it only because the press is always pushing in that general direction.

Personally- If the fight were to happen; I'd rather see it at a catch weight. Anderson's got a keen ability to manage his weight, and I don't think it's out of the realm possibility that he could make 180 pounds he weighed in at 181 for the Cote fight. I think this does a lot for the sport in several ways to have the fight at catch weight.

First and foremost we'd get the single biggest fight in MMA history. There's no doubt what so ever that GSP and Anderson are the two very best fighters in the sport. Getting both of them in the cage in their primes would be simply fantastic.

Having it at a catch weight would at least even the playing field a bit as far as the size advantage goes.

Having a 5-round non-title fight in the UFC main event would set a precedent for future UFC cards. Hopefully we'd get a chance to have additional non-title fights go a full five (take the Penn/Fitch fight for example).

And lastly, the 170 pound belt wouldn't have to be vacated. I know there are plenty of forum members who would rather see GSP at 185 anyway... But no body will take the 170 pound belt seriously for the next 2-3 years because anyone who holds it will have previously lost to GSP anyway. It could be years before we'd get a new "legitimate" 170 pound champion. I would rather see GSP hold that belt for as long as his abilities allow him to. Let a fighter come up and take it from him.

kopower
3/8/11 10:25:41PM

Posted by bojangalz

Yeah, I don't ever remember either fighter making a real push for this fight. Dana's had to comment on it only because the press is always pushing in that general direction.

Personally- If the fight were to happen; I'd rather see it at a catch weight. Anderson's got a keen ability to manage his weight, and I don't think it's out of the realm possibility that he could make 180 pounds he weighed in at 181 for the Cote fight. I think this does a lot for the sport in several ways to have the fight at catch weight.

First and foremost we'd get the single biggest fight in MMA history. There's no doubt what so ever that GSP and Anderson are the two very best fighters in the sport. Getting both of them in the cage in their primes would be simply fantastic.

Having it at a catch weight would at least even the playing field a bit as far as the size advantage goes.

Having a 5-round non-title fight in the UFC main event would set a precedent for future UFC cards. Hopefully we'd get a chance to have additional non-title fights go a full five (take the Penn/Fitch fight for example).

And lastly, the 170 pound belt wouldn't have to be vacated. I know there are plenty of forum members who would rather see GSP at 185 anyway... But no body will take the 170 pound belt seriously for the next 2-3 years because anyone who holds it will have previously lost to GSP anyway. It could be years before we'd get a new "legitimate" 170 pound champion. I would rather see GSP hold that belt for as long as his abilities allow him to. Let a fighter come up and take it from him.

Well said. This is exactly how I feel. I think Silva could make 180, making the fight more manageable for Georges. I would like to see St. Pierre stay where he's at, and maybe from time to time, if he's still running through the division, have him move up for some big ppv fights.
Pookie
3/9/11 11:02:00PM
This fight would cement either fighter as the best fighter in the sport. No doubts about it. I think both fighters are going to want this fight enough at some point.